• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-gay baker now takes stand against birthdays for trans people

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Here's the problem you often find with people who have an agenda; they tend to manipulate facts to fit their narrative. The baker did not refuse service to the woman (as he did not refuse service to the gay couple) they were welcomed to purchase anything already on display in the store. What the cake artist refused to do was design and create a product that offended his sensibilities. The rightness or wrongness of the situation is in the eye of the beholder, but get the facts straight. If, IMHO, you could force an artist to make whatever you desired than I would expect a pediophile to be able to order a cake celebrating little ten year old Jimmy's deflowering...just sayin'.
If the baker would make a pink and blue cake for another customer (for a birthday party for boy and girl fraternal twins, for instance), then the issue is the customer, not the design of the cake.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but most everywhere in the Bible it says to love one another.
To love your neighbor as yourself.
He must be using some other book perhaps?
I've encountered plenty of intolerant Christians. Seems that there's something in common between them. If not the Bible, then what else?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Yes, you do. Nobody is forced to run a cake shop. This guy always has the freedom to find some other line of work and then nobody will bother him about baking a cake he disapproves of ever again.

You are still glazing over the point (see what I did there?). The baker never refused them service, he just choose not to call upon his artistic abilities to create something out of whole cloth that offended his beliefs. Again, the wrongness or rightness of the choice is debatable, the freedom not to be forced into indentured servitude died a couple of hundred years ago.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Correct me if I'm wrong but most everywhere in the Bible it says to love one another.
To love your neighbor as yourself.
He must be using some other book perhaps?

By choice, not force...there is a difference. How much love was shown to the baker?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If, IMHO, you could force an artist to make whatever you desired than I would expect a pediophile to be able to order a cake celebrating little ten year old Jimmy's deflowering...just sayin'.
I totally agree.
I am very big on freedom.

In the interests of efficiency and freedom for customers, would expecting merchants to post signage, explaining exactly who they will serve and what they will do, be too much to ask? And expecting them to serve whoever asks them for something they advertise, if the merchant didn't publicly post their unwillingness to do so?

Put up a sign on the door. "No Blacks, no Irish, no gays", or whatever. Just make it clear to everybody before they go to your business.
Tom

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Your statement about people not hurting others is completely irrelevant to the post; and I was just trying to dramatically make a point without intending to imply any correlation to any other sector of or society. It worked, I see.

To me my statement is very relevant to my post

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
THIS^^^^^^^^!
Freedom is complicated.
Personally, I don't want a cake from a bigot. I'd rather have a lumpy expression of caring than an art piece from a vicious Christian producing it at gunpoint.
Yuck!
Tom
The outcome I'd hope for isn't necessarily that bigots hold their nose and provide services to the people they're bigoted against. The outcome I'd hope for is to push these people out of the market altogether.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
To the best of my understanding, the cakemaker expected to be protected in some way or sense from dealing with transgendered people.

I don't know how he would justify that to himself, since that is textbook discrimination for no reasonable motive.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Are would anyone from the LGBT community still try to give him money after the first fiasco?
As I pointed out earlier he is probably just a useful dupe this time around. The problem was that the state was not even in their application of there law:

"The justices ruled that a state civil rights commission was hostile to him while allowing other bakers to refuse to create cakes that demeaned gays and same-sex marriages."

Supreme Court rules on narrow grounds for baker who refused to create same-sex couple's wedding cake

If the state cleaned up their act the law may now be constitutional. The original law was not thrown out, just the state's application of it.

allfoak

Alchemist
Corruption for personal gain.
Its called priestcraft.
The bible has been corrupted so bad that the obvious is no longer obvious.
I was very good at it. One of the best preachers that the Church of Christ Had seen in a long time. They wanted to make me rich and famous as long as I towed the party line.
I turned it down and left Christianity for good.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I totally agree.
I am very big on freedom.

In the interests of efficiency and freedom for customers, would expecting merchants to post signage, explaining exactly who they will serve and what they will do, be too much to ask? And expecting them to serve whoever asks them for something they advertise, if the merchant didn't publicly post their unwillingness to do so?

Put up a sign on the door. "No Blacks, no Irish, no gays", or whatever. Just make it clear to everybody before they go to your business.
Tom

You would think that people would prefer to know what businesses were bigoted, so that they would know who not to give their money to. Also, if a business is forced to begrudgingly serve you, you'd likely to get sub par service. For example, I would rather be denied service at a restaurant than have them spit my food.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The outcome I'd hope for isn't necessarily that bigots hold their nose and provide services to the people they're bigited against. The outcome I'd hope for is to push these people out of the market altogether.
I am not as judgemental and anti-freedom as you are.
Luckily for us both, we live in different countries.
Tom