• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-gay baker now takes stand against birthdays for trans people

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
AGAIN- he did not refuse to serve anyone, he refused to be forced into creating something that went against his beliefs. Here's a perfect example: I refused to perform the song "Brown Sugar" by the Rolling Stones after I read the lyrics. Should I be forced into doing this song simply because some one demands it?
Unless you agree to play the song for some people and refuse it for others, your analogy doesn't really work.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I was "thought" to be trans, but found out that I am XXY, non-kleinfelter's, but raised as male. To look at me, the intersex part is obvious. Even still, the ignorant insist that I am trans, but I am developing tolerance toward them. Mostly, people want a binary world because that is what they were taught, and the Bible, according to their interpretation insists upon. The reality is that there are just lots of us genetic misfits running around. I started living as me almost 15 years ago. To reassure the squeamish, I have no biological sexual organs now, hence no sexual orientation, no desire and do not bed with anyone. It took me a long time to understand that wanting a companion was just loneliness. That is about as psychologically naked as I am willing to make myself.
That is well and good, but what do you think actual transgenders should do? Hide or announce their situation? And why?

stvdv

Veteran Member
Let me try this another way:
There's no "you must sell cakes to trans people" in "don't sell cakes unless you're okay with selling them to trans people." You always have the option not to sell cakes.

What do you try to explain to me?
Do you think I am wrong in my thinking somewhere?
Do you think you know better than I when it comes to my feelings/conscience?

stvdv

Veteran Member
AGAIN- he did not refuse to serve anyone, he refused to be forced into creating something that went against his beliefs. Here's a perfect example: I refused to perform the song "Brown Sugar" by the Rolling Stones after I read the lyrics. Should I be forced into doing this song simply because some one demands it?

Unless you agree to play the song for some people and refuse it for others, your analogy doesn't really work.

So I guess that this analogy does really work. At least for me it worked, it's a very good example.

stvdv

Veteran Member
That is well and good, but what do you think actual transgenders should do? Hide or announce their situation? And why?
Those are very good questions. Dozens of possible answers.

A): I don't want to eat a cake baked by a "transgender judgmental baker" adding judgmental thoughts into my cake:
1): I tell nothing, so I get a plain cake without judgmental thoughts
2): I tell him I am a transgender. But then risking he sells me a cake with judgments and lying about it

B): I am a transgender who feels the need to be accepted by others, at least by the baker making the cake
1): Tell him and keep trying till I find the right baker

C): I am a transgender who likes to test christian bakers how good they follow Jesus teaching "do not judge"
1): Tell them I am a transgender

D): I am a transgender who just wants a cake, and not feeling the need to debate about "transgender"
1): I just order the cake and give the baker "carte blanche" to make a nice cake

QuestioningMind

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I'm not sure your understanding my post. I know I'm not understanding yours.

He means that it is one thing to discriminate between songs and another to discriminate between people.
It is one thing to refuse to play "Brown Sugar" by the Rolling Stones ( you were discriminating between songs ), and it is another to be fine playing it for everyone but me ( you would be discriminating between people ).

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Great...

I mean cool I guess. If only the gay and trans market got bigger we could have a bakery or two refusing service to straight people. Wonder how that would go with the media.

OMG its people expressing their freedom to refuse service, let's lose our minds over it now. This freedom stuff sure is complicated.

It wouldn't make any money. That's less than 5% of the population, and trans people are like less than 1 percent of that.

Personally, I'm against this only because if someones religious beliefs are at odds with what they are being asked to do they should be able to refuse. Many religions have prohibitions against supporting people whom conflict with their beliefs, mine no exception. Though in my religion, the prohibition is against those of Abrahamic beliefs not particularly against the darling of the day social issues. So, should I go to jail or pay fines because I won't make a cake for them? That's the argument... It's not an argument, it's stupidity. Freedom of association is a protected right in this country and it should be upheld.

The Bible has prohibitions toward gays and dressing in women's clothes and all sorts of things along that lines. While I don't agree with it, it is part of their faith and they have a right to it. The government and courts should have no ability to limit our rights or beliefs.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Call me silly, but I'm pretty sure Jesus would have baked the cake and then sat down to enjoy it with it's recipient in celebration of their birthday.

Apparently, Christians forget about that whole Matthew 7:1 thing, but the OT specifically prohibits gay and trans-sexual behaviors. We could argue that their refusal is following their religion to a tee, so for me that puts it out of the realm of court decisions and whatever.

Sure, it's being a douche to people, but it's probably being a bigger douche to force them to serve others against their will. Honestly, I think the market will sort it out -- if enough people are offended they won't buy their baked goods and they'll lose too much money and recant. If not, well there are enough people who share the same belief and they'll keep going.

Anyway, we could argue that the trans-gender person going to them after the gay ruling is just profiteering. Something I don't actually respect...

Ellen Brown

Bluntly, I fear the whole T situation is a money maker for surgeons, therapists and drug makers. I think a lot of folk who are told they are T perhaps just need some validation, some real friends. I've been told that lots of T folk are somewhere along the Autism spectrum. Lots of T folk have been rejected and taken advantage of and the suicide rate is still over 40% even post surgery. Hiding is a personal choice. Somehow, it seems someone always finds out and tells. :(

nPeace

Veteran Member
You can't argue freedom while expressing freedom in the end you are a hypocrite no matter what.
Interesting.
He didn't respond to your last statement. I wonder why?

i understand your point.
I think what most people like to do is grab on to one piece of information, and run with it, without considering that they may not have the full story, or all the facts. but just because it involves someone that makes a decision against their view. They are happy to take a stance against that person regardless.

I don't have all the facts, but I can certainly see the reasoning in your argument.
Who knows if the baker refused because the cake was to have two women, or two men kissing, or in a sexual position, efc.?
Even if it did not have any of that, so what?
Does the baker have to do everything that everybody wants him to do? Does he not have rights.

Say he was a a white man that hated blacks. Is this not still going on?
I don't see this guy complaining.
Zimbabwean journalist gets to swim all by himself after some white folks refused to share the pool with him in Uganda
He could, but would that change people's hearts?

Are there not black bakers? What's wrong with them... can't they bake a cake?
Or maybe there are no gay bakers. Too bad. Now I seem to be taking sides right? No i am not.

The way I see it... we live in a world where people make choices, and we have to live with our choices - whether people are against it or for it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Bluntly, I fear the whole T situation is a money maker for surgeons, therapists and drug makers. I think a lot of folk who are told they are T perhaps just need some validation, some real friends. I've been told that lots of T folk are somewhere along the Autism spectrum. Lots of T folk have been rejected and taken advantage of and the suicide rate is still over 40% even post surgery. Hiding is a personal choice. Somehow, it seems someone always finds out and tells. :(
Are you saying that you don't believe Transgenders truly exist as such?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm not sure your understanding my post. I know I'm not understanding yours.
He makes custom cakes in a wide range of styles for some people and not others.

The shop's web site tells customers that they can "choose from any of our many flavors, frostings, and fillings" and says that "if you can think it up, Jack can make it into a cake!"

MASTERPIECE CAKESHOP | great cakes since 1993 | 303.763.5754

Apparently he's happy to make these offers to the general public, but not to LGBTQ people.

Asking for a cake of a customer-chosen specific colour, iced with frosting of another customer-chosen specific colour, is completely in line with what they normally offer.

This is not the same as you refusing to play a specific song for anyone.

ecco

Veteran Member
It's not a trans person's birthday is wrong but because the cake was celebrating what to him violates his conscious. It's nothing personal. Not sure why liberals don't understand it's not personal. Just a matter of conscious.

OMG its people expressing their freedom to refuse service

Yep - conscience and freedom...
whites-only-no-Mexicans.JPG

nPeace

Veteran Member
I didn't respond because his replies indicated to me that further discussion with him wouldn't be worth my time.
I don't think he was being unreasonable.
You did respond to the post though. I think at least you could have responded to the last point in the post... at least. He made a valid point imo.