• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-gay baker now takes stand against birthdays for trans people

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There are plenty of verses regarding tattoos and mixed fabrics. He stated he only hated to do gay weddings and Halloween cakes. Now it's transgender. Tomorrow, who knows. Women's with kids out of wedlock? Divorced people getting married?
He'd better hope that the Christian businesses that he deals with don't decide to refuse people who bear false witness.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
There are plenty of verses regarding tattoos and mixed fabrics. He stated he only hated to do gay weddings and Halloween cakes. Now it's transgender. Tomorrow, who knows. Women's with kids out of wedlock? Divorced people getting married?

I think he needs that hateball machine I mentioned above, except with religious stuff.

Ball 0612: To a daughter of a priest that are currently dating or have dated anyone in their life, are to be refused service of any kind

Ball 0237: To anyone who has ever consumed shellfish of any kind must be refused service.

Ball 0003: People wearing white shoes after labor day.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Why these stories are absurd:

1) Because bakers like this are very rare...and you can go to another bakery
2) Because gay people don't want cakes made by homophobic bakers

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
This freedom stuff sure is complicated.
THIS^^^^^^^^!
Freedom is complicated.
Personally, I don't want a cake from a bigot. I'd rather have a lumpy expression of caring than an art piece from a vicious Christian producing it at gunpoint.
Yuck!
Tom
Eta~ The baker is giving me yet more reason to believe that Christianity has nothing to do with God whatsoever. I think he should be free to do that to his hearts content. I don't really care for Christianity all that much. ~

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's not a trans person's birthday is wrong but because the cake was celebrating what to him violates his conscious. It's nothing personal. Not sure why liberals don't understand it's not personal. Just a matter of conscious.

His 'conscious' is personal

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What about people who ...
  • Vote Democrat
  • Like Punk
  • Believe in Evolution
  • Think Global Warming is real
  • Don't watch Fox News
  • Fail to stand for Pledge of Allegiance
  • Don't want t make America Great Again
  • etc
  • etc
  • etc
Why don't these people just get on running a business and don't worry what there customers are?

A Manhattan judge has ruled that New York City bars are within their rights to refuse to serve conservatives
New York City Judge Allows Bars To Refuse To Serve Conservatives

As a customer, I don't go about announcing anything about my personal views. I go into a place of business to do business, not make political statements.

Lots of egos, opposing moral views. Icky personal stuff which cause unnecessary division between people in many cases. I mean why would you go to a bar that doesn't like conservatives and announce you are a conservative? If it bothered you, why would you support the establishment.

Sure, I wish more people were like me and agreed with my political ideas and morals. That's just not the world.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Are his cakes trans-fat free?

The issue is one of "protected groups."

As wiki describes it:
Protected group
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
For the computer science concept, see Information hiding.
A protected group or protected class is a group of people qualified for special protection by a law, policy, or similar authority. In the United States, the term is frequently used in connection with employees and employment.

Where discrimination on the basis of protected group status is concerned, a single act of discrimination may be based on membership in more than one protected group. For example, discrimination based on antisemitism may relate to religion, national origin, or both; discrimination against a pregnant woman might be based on sex, marital status, or both.[1]

U.S. federal law protects individuals from discrimination or harassment based on the following nine protected classes: sex, race, age, disability, color, creed, national origin, religion, or genetic information (added in 2008). Many state laws also give certain protected groups special protection against harassment and discrimination, as do many employer policies. Although it is not required by federal law, employer policies may also protect employees from harassment or discrimination based on marital status or sexual orientation.[1] The following characteristics are "protected" by United States federal anti-discrimination law:

It is clearly legal to discriminate in all other cases, but I'd argue that it is outside of the spirit of the law, thus legal but wrong anyway. It would be interesting to explore what sort of protection might be extended to the LGBTQ community by the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
A Manhattan judge has ruled that New York City bars are within their rights to refuse to serve conservatives
New York City Judge Allows Bars To Refuse To Serve Conservatives
Would that judge rule that bars can refuse service to black people?
This freedom stuff is complicated.
Are the bars basing their policies on "sincerely held religious beliefs "? Here in Indiana that would make their discrimination legal.

It requires education and engagement to do freedom right.
Tom

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Help me there, please. What in the situation is violating the cakemaker convictions?

That's what we want to know. Having spent half my life as a Christian I don't recall that anywhere. Transgender was probably not even known at the time, except possibly the person being thought to be possessed by demons.

Bob the Unbeliever

Are the bars basing their policies on "sincerely held religious beliefs "? Here in Indiana that would make their discrimination legal.

Tom

That whole Slippery Slope thing, I expect.

Protected Class had to be created by Government, because essential Constitutional Freedoms were being eroded by people who were raised into bigotry, and saw nothing wrong with expressing it.

It's sad, really, but humans are Tribal like that.

In truth, the basic guarantee of the Constitution ought to automagically protect everyone, with equal status. That whole "All Men" shtick.

Of course... the slick bigots will quickly re-define what the meaning of "men" is, and say, "These sorts are not really 'men', and therefore, not protected."

That's how they get around it. That's always how they get around it: Re-defining whichever group they feel the need to hate on, as being "not-people".

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
It's not a trans person's birthday is wrong but because the cake was celebrating what to him violates his conscious. It's nothing personal. Not sure why liberals don't understand it's not personal. Just a matter of conscious.
Birthdays violate his conscience? After he specifically said he'd make birthday cakes for people?

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I'd be curious to know how he is able to identify trans people so accurately.

I am a dude, but I have long hair, I wonder if he might mislabel me as trans. What version of trans or gaydar is he operating to make him so accurate.

(sarcasm just in case)
Well, to be fair, while there are some transgender people whose transition is flawless, there are some out there whose..,. isn't. I'm sure most trans people we encounter, you'd never know. But the ones who aren't... well, it's hard not to notice.

Sapiens

Polymathematician

It requires education and engagement to do freedom right.protected c
Tom
Race is a protected class, as is religion, political persuasion is not. Our current problem stems from an unanticipated argument that is outside of the spirit of the law, but in line with the spirit of some sects who do not believe that their freedom to swing their fists ends where other peoples' noses begin. Religion based discrimination does not trump protected classes, but the lack of specific protection eliminates consideration of what basic human rights are and opens the argument of enumerated rights vs. human rights providing bigots of every ilk with legalistic cover.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Tom

I agree, legally, it's complicated. Laws very from state to state and even from city to city.