• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Trans attempts attack on schools

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
It's not easier to get them.
It's merely easier to legally carry them.
I strongly suspect that many who were carrying illegally didn't need a change in the law.
Oh whew! It only makes it easier to walk around with one. :confused:
My problem is the lack of training required for carrying guns.
This applies not just to civilians, but also cops, who appear
to often be woefully screened & trained for the responsibility.
I couldn't agree more.

We Never Know

No Slack
It's not easier to get them.
It's merely easier to legally carry them.
I strongly suspect that many who were carrying illegally didn't need a change in the law.

My problem is the lack of training required for carrying guns.
to often be woefully screened & trained for the responsibility.

"My problem is the lack of training required for carrying guns.
to often be woefully screened & trained for the responsibility."

Agreed

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah. It's easier to do things that are legal.

Again, how hard is this to grasp?
Your first sentence is more accurate than the other.
The problem was disagreement, not "grasping" the issue.

Let me harp on one thing again....
I say that it would be constitutional to require training
for carrying guns in public. It's analogous to requiring
a license for driving a vehicle, which is constitutional
even though we've a right to travel.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Again, they literally are. If something is cheaper, it's easier to get.
I wonder if anyone use this as an argument
against a stronger economy? Spare cash
could be spent on guns & ammo.

I prefer to restrict ownership based upon
things like age, criminal history, & red flags.
Oh, & race too....don't want armed Scots
running about.

We Never Know

No Slack
I wonder if anyone use this as an argument
against a stronger economy? Spare cash
could be spent on guns & ammo.

I prefer to restrict ownership based upon
things like age, criminal history, & red flags.
Oh, & race too....don't want armed Scots
running about.

"I prefer to restrict ownership based upon
things like age, criminal history, & red flags"

age - already does
criminal history - already does
red flags -need more of them

As for red flags, IMO minor and medical records included in background checks would produce many red flags.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Affordable doesn't mean easier when the same laws and regulations apply.

Taxation is a kind of regulation. If something is more expensive, it's harder to obtain. I don't know how else to explain this to you.

You could sell guns for a buck. Those who can't legally own a gun so still can't legally buy them even for $1.

Yes, but if they're $100, everyone who could afford them legally for $1 won't be able to afford them anymore. Thus won't be able to buy them.

When you're in a less oppositional mood, come back and recognize how silly of a point you're trying to make.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I am not sure what this is supposed to mean. I know that I am not laughing at anyone, so perhaps you mean you are laughing at me?

Not sure. What your intent was here. Cheers
No, not laughing, it's just that so many don't take it as being serious that the true solution to the gun deaths might actually be to take away most of the guns, even if such a path would take a considerable time and would be very difficult to do, especially if all we got from the alternatives was simply the same old news every day as to pointless gun deaths.

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member
No, not laughing, just that so many just don't take it as being serious that the true solution to the gun deaths might actually be to take away most of the guns, even if such a path would take a considerable time and would be very difficult to do, especially if all we got from the alternatives was simply the same old news every day as to pointless gun deaths.
Not really fond of the term “true solution” in this context, but I am unsure why you would imply that I do not think that taking away guns might be a solution.

I have just stated that I think there are better solutions. That seems to bother people. I am not sure why.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Not really fond of the term “true solution” in this context, but I am unsure why you would imply that I do not think that taking away guns might be a solution.

I have just stated that I think there are better solutions. That seems to bother people. I am not sure why.
I'm sure there are ways to alleviate some of the issues that tend to cause gun deaths, but the sheer number in circulation and the easy of obtaining them - and where the legally bought ones often go into the illegal realm - seems to be something that will always be there unless severe restrictions are considered. With gun deaths usually being associated with the number of such weapons in any society. Such that this is why so many do believe this must eventually be the solution.

We Never Know

No Slack
Taxation is a kind of regulation. If something is more expensive, it's harder to obtain. I don't know how else to explain this to you.

Yes, but if they're $100, everyone who could afford them legally for $1 won't be able to afford them anymore. Thus won't be able to buy them.

When you're in a less oppositional mood, come back and recognize how silly of a point you're trying to make.

The confusion is your are lumping everyone under the same blanket(those who can legally own them and those who can't)

If one can legally own a gun I don't care of they get one everytime they get a paycheck.

I said legally in several of my posts, nothing you have provided makes it easier for those who can't legally have guns to get them.

Now there are some who can legally have the but shouldn't IMO.
It reminds me of a story when I went to see a friend in Kansas last month. Some mongols have moved into the small town there.
The towns people are hounding the chief of police to arrest them. Like he said, if they aren't breaking the laws I can't do anything without violating their rights.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
The confusion is your are lumping everyone under the same blanket(those who can legally own them and those who can't)

If one can legally own a gun I don't care of they get one everytime they get a paycheck.

If you make it easier for people to have more guns in more places, that is what's ultimately relevant. So all the factors come into play: who can buy one, in what circumstances (consider waiting periods), what kind they can buy, where can they carry them, how expensive they are. All those variables matter.

And by the way, the same logic applies to smoking and alcohol. Which is why you bringing them up was rather odd. And we agreed you don't want to make it easier for kids to use them, ergo we should regulate them since they do so much harm.

We Never Know

No Slack
If you make it easier for people to have more guns in more places, that is what's ultimately relevant. So all the factors come into play: who can buy one, in what circumstances (consider waiting periods), what kind they can buy, where can they carry them, how expensive they are. All those variables matter.

And by the way, the same logic applies to smoking and alcohol. Which is why you bringing them up was rather odd. And we agreed you don't want to make it easier for kids to use them, ergo we should regulate them since they do so much harm.

I brought up alcohol and tobacco be cause someone injected automobiles into the conversation.