• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another school-related mass killing.

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
May all beings be free of suffering. May the community heal from this tragedy. May this type of atrocity never happen again.

:candle:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Of course he was a malignant narcissist.

But we should not conclude that therefore society had nothing to do with that.

A society that demands its citizens to be fiercely competitive while also often failing in giving them proper emotional support and moral education is a breeding ground for malignant narcissists, after all. It should totally expect them, and it should also expect them to engage in mass killings if they have easy access to weapons.

Of course society does play a role. Especially American society, which is made by and for psychopaths.

Farrukh

thanks God, at least this killer was not Muslim. I think if that was the case, then media was going to link him with Al Qaida, and that may have caused anti-muslim protests. and someone was going to start a thread here "Is it example of islam? "

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Are you supporting laws?

:) I don't think much of law, and I certainly do not see it as capable of changing society for the better.

That in no way translates into wanting casual access to firearms to be easy, though. If law can be used to hinder such access, then so be it.

It is no substitute to actual consciousness, but it sure beats the banalization of firearms.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is interesting how some members are addressing the real issues whilst others are merely whining about guns.

Even more interesting is how those whining about the guns seem to be completely ignoring the fact that a vehicle and knife were also used.

Even more interesting how those whining about the guns are not whining about the knife or vehicle...
One wonders if this is only because there is not a lobby group for knives?

Is it at all strange that some of us think firearms banalization leads to increased violence? :confused:

Curious George

Veteran Member
:) I don't think much of law, and I certainly do not see it as capable of changing society for the better.

That in no way translates into wanting casual access to firearms to be easy, though. If law can be used to hinder such access, then so be it.

It is no substitute to actual consciousness, but it sure beats the banalization of firearms.

So you are pragmatic in that until humanity reaches a state of consciousness wherein we do not need laws, laws are an acceptable evil?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So you are pragmatic in that until humanity reaches a state of consciousness wherein we do not need laws, laws are an acceptable evil?

Nope! I'm just saying that if the law exists, I would rather not have it support what I see as destructive choices.

That does not mean that they are important, and it definitely does not mean that I trust it to make society better.

It is just a matter of finding a somewhat sane law better than an insane one, if it comes to such a poor choice.

But I no more expect law to solve gun problems than I expect it to solve drug problems, or unarmed violence.

People must want to lead better lives, not be pressured by law into submission to supposedly better behaviors. Even if the behavior itself is actually better, the motivation will be absent or at least underdeveloped, and people will be resentful for being pressured.

And they will think nothing of seeking ways of circunventing or taking advantage of the law, further distancing them from the actual, significant moral and behavioral issues that they should care about instead.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Still, America love their guns, and their right to hold arms.

That certainly seems to be the case by any reasonable analysis of the available facts.

Whether that is ultimately good for the citizens is a completely separate matter.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Nope! I'm just saying that if the law exists, I would rather not have it support what I see as destructive choices.

That does not mean that they are important, and it definitely does not mean that I trust it to make society better.

It is just a matter of finding a somewhat sane law better than an insane one, if it comes to such a poor choice.

But I no more expect law to solve gun problems than I expect it to solve drug problems, or unarmed violence.

People must want to lead better lives, not be pressured by law into submission to supposedly better behaviors. Even if the behavior itself is actually better, the motivation will be absent or at least underdeveloped, and people will be resentful for being pressured.

And they will think nothing of seeking ways of circunventing or taking advantage of the law, further distancing them from the actual, significant moral and behavioral issues that they should care about instead.

and wouldn't it be wonderful if people wanted to lead better lives. The reality is many don't care. And while they may care so little that laws will not change their behavior. But that doesn't entail abandonment of law. Quite the contrary, this only emphasizes the need of law.

What is one to do when faced with the likes of murderers and rapists? What is one supposed to do when faced with corporations without regard to the environment? What is one supposed to do when faced with someone who damages their property and refuses to pay compensation?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
That certainly seems to be the case by any reasonable analysis of the available facts.

Whether that is ultimately good for the citizens is a completely separate matter.

Yes it is full of confusion, what the hell do they do ?, they got themselves into this mess, now they got to get themselves out of it.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Is it at all strange that some of us think firearms banalization leads to increased violence? :confused:

Not at all.

However, it is interesting how some posts in this very thread are nothing more than whining about guns as if this would not have happened if there were no firearms in the world.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not at all.

However, it is interesting how some posts in this very thread are nothing more than whining about guns as if this would not have happened if there were no firearms in the world.

Do you realize how odd your statement sounds?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Really?
Odd how?

You are saying that there will be people saying that shootouts would not happen without guns.

That, of course, won't even be said, because it is so blatantly true as to be implicit and not even useful as an argument.

I am guessing that you are using some sort of artistic license, but it is clouding the actual point you want to make.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I guess the the lives of the first 3 victims stabbed to death do not mean anything.

Even leaving aside the (admitedly difficult to demonstrate) matter of how much ready access to guns encouraged and enabled the whole event, what about the victims that were shot?

esmith

Veteran Member
I figure 100%, as it should be.

and what part do you agree? Is it that even though he was probably mentally unstable(which I suspect he was, but absolute proof not there yet) he name was not placed on the FBI background check? Or is it that there are firearms?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Even leaving aside the (admitedly difficult to demonstrate) matter of how much ready access to guns encouraged and enabled the whole event, what about the victims that were shot?
What about them? They are receiving virtually all of the attention! Gun-critics, journalists, and even some of the victim's familes are blaming the shootings on everything from corrupt politicians to the NRA. Yet not one word is being said about the three men who were stabbed to death.

Alceste

Vagabond
You know what would be really cool? If this thread could stay on topic, and not get derailed into one of those interminable gun debates.

The issue here is untreated mental illness, and a police force that failed to intervene in time to prevent this tragedy. IMO, when you post a video promising to slaughter dozens of people, you should wake up the next day in the mental hospital and not be released until you've got your issues under control.