• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Omnipotent & Omniscient God Cannot Exist

Milton Platt

If God is omnipotent, then he can't be omniscient.

If God is omniscient, then he can't be omnipotent.

Here's why:

If God is omnipotent, then he can do anything he wants. This would mean that he cannot know his future actions, as if he did, his future actions would be constrained by his knowledge of the future, since he would not be able to perform an action that he knew he would not perform. Thus, if God is omnipotent, he can't be omniscient.

If God is omniscient, then he knows everything, including all events in the future. Thus, his future actions are constrained by his knowledge of what he will do, and he cannot act contrary to his own knowledge of his own future actions. Thus, if God is omniscient, then he cannot be omnipotent.

That's it. That's the proof.

So, theists, is your god omnipotent and not omniscient, omniscient and not omnipotent, or neither omnipotent nor omniscient? Those are the only options.

Apologists realized this some time ago and repackaged the claims. Now their particular god is "maximally" powerful and "maximally" knowledgeable. Meaning as powerful and as knowledgeable as possible without becoming illogical in the process.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Here's why:

If God is omnipotent, then he can do anything he wants. This would mean that he cannot know his future actions, as if he did, his future actions would be constrained by his knowledge of the future, since he would not be able to perform an action that he knew he would not perform. Thus, if God is omnipotent, he can't be omniscient.

If God is omniscient, then he knows everything, including all events in the future. Thus, his future actions are constrained by his knowledge of what he will do, and he cannot act contrary to his own knowledge of his own future actions. Thus, if God is omniscient, then he cannot be omnipotent.

So, theists, is your god omnipotent and not omniscient, omniscient and not omnipotent, or neither omnipotent nor omniscient? Those are the only options.
"This would mean that he (G-d) cannot know his future actions"

Is this from science, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Jehovah is the most powerful Being in existence.....he is able to control his power to be delivered wherever it is required, in whatever measure is needed....not too much, not too little.

I have no idea why people want to put their own limitations on a limitless Being.
"I have no idea why people want to put their own limitations on a limitless Being."

I agree with one here.

Regards

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Here's why:

I didn't read through the entire thread so forgive me if this has already been said. These arguments both seem to assume God exists within time like one of us. However, the standard classical theist God is proposed as existing outside of time. On that understanding, God's actions only appear to be past, present, or future from our perspective in time.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I didn't read through the entire thread so forgive me if this has already been said. These arguments both seem to assume God exists within time like one of us. However, the standard classical theist God is proposed as existing outside of time. On that understanding, God's actions only appear to be past, present, or future from our perspective in time.
Yes, I agree with one.
Our understanding of time , space and other dimension don't fit on the Creator G-d, He is out of these dimensions, please?
Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I don't know if this answers your question but the ideal of God would be omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. The only way such a being could exist IMO would be if the only thing that was real was God. Everything other than God is a dream/illusion.

Like when you dream. What exists in the dream only "exists" during the experience of it, while you're actually dreaming. It's only when you wake that you realize none of it existed. So you're right, there is nothing to change. It's just another dream which has no more actual existence than the previous dream.

In this sense the lucid dreamer is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent creator of the dream. In this "reality" we experience, God is present but not awake. If God should ever wake none of this would ever have had anymore existence than the dream you had last night which you may not even remember.
" Everything other than God is a dream/illusion."

I agree with tone here. I understand that G-d has the real existence and our existence has been gifted to us by Him with a purpose. Right, please?

Regards

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
" Everything other than God is a dream/illusion."

I agree with tone here. I understand that G-d has the real existence and our existence has been gifted to us by Him with a purpose. Right, please?

Regards

Well that post was a while back but in the sense of an omnipotent God, this is the only way I'd see such an entity making sense.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I don't know if this answers your question but the ideal of God would be omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. The only way such a being could exist IMO would be if the only thing that was real was God. Everything other than God is a dream/illusion.

Like when you dream. What exists in the dream only "exists" during the experience of it, while you're actually dreaming. It's only when you wake that you realize none of it existed. So you're right, there is nothing to change. It's just another dream which has no more actual existence than the previous dream.

In this sense the lucid dreamer is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent creator of the dream. In this "reality" we experience, God is present but not awake. If God should ever wake none of this would ever have had anymore existence than the dream you had last night which you may not even remember.
Well that post was a while back but in the sense of an omnipotent God, this is the only way I'd see such an entity making sense.
Isn't life an illusion like a dream, till one wake up in the afterlife?

Regards

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Isn't life an illusion like a dream, till one wake up in the afterlife?

Regards

I don't know. I don't have any knowledge about an afterlife, so I don't see a lot of reason to invest much belief in any particular idea about it.

Sp0ckrates

Here's why:

Not sure I follow you. Perhaps a simple illustration will demonstrate your point? Please give one brief example of something God doesn’t have the power to do.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Please explain why do you think so?

I think you are wrong in your opening post. That one knows what happens, doesn’t mean that one has no freedom, it means just that one knows what is freely chosen.
I didn't write the title of this thread.

I argued against it.