• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazon Has Banned Conversion Therapy Books; Will the Bible Be Next?

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
That is your take. It reflects what you want to see. It does not reflect what I have seen.

Certainly, I have seen some of this from you and others like you. Look at how you attack me for asking questions. I am 53 and have been attending church since I was a baby and was baptized at 12. Right on this thread you were attacking me and making up lies about how I do not believe and have faith. You may want to add hypocrite to that list you have up there.
My personal opinion, is that many of these types have only a shallow faith, based on platitudes, fallacious reasoning, and belonging to an identifiable in-group. When anyone with a deeper, more contemplative and dwelled upon faith starts asking questions that they had never even contemplated in their glurge built ingroup-vehicle, the cognitive dissonance is instant and unbearable, hence you get the flurry of fallacious claims and personal attacks along barely tangential vectors. They don't really have an understanding of their faith, and being confronted by those of us that do have a slightly deeper faith, calling on them to go beyond the paint-thin veneer, challenges their uncritically accepted, in group-affirmed, sense of self, and they instinctively lash out.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
My personal opinion, is that many of these types have only a shallow faith, based on platitudes, fallacious reasoning, and belonging to an identifiable in-group. When anyone with a deeper, more contemplative and dwelled upon faith starts asking questions that they had never even contemplated in their glurge built ingroup-vehicle, the cognitive dissonance is instant and unbearable, hence you get the flurry of fallacious claims and personal attacks along barely tangential vectors. They don't really have an understanding of their faith, and being confronted by those of us that do have a slightly deeper faith, calling on them to go beyond the paint-thin veneer, challenges their uncritically accepted, in group-affirmed, sense of self, and they instinctively lash out.
Your take on it is much the same as mine. I have faith, but it is not so weak that I need constant reinforcing or that everyone in my reality should flow along very strict, narrow and discreetly defined parameters. I find fundamentalism to be much more extremist and reactionary and less about goodness, kindness, mercy and love. It is more about "what's in it for me" and self righteousness.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Ohhhhhh,.,,. so when someone is given a death sentence because of a inoperable brain tumor and then it is gone... I've made it up?
That is so dramatic. We all live under a death sentence. You have demonstrated that bearing false witness is not an issue for you, so why should we believe this?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
So, the only answer is celibacy? A little narrow in scope.

So let me go back to the two lesbians who came to our church. One accepted Jesus, came back about a year and a half later and said "Thank you!" Married with a man and now with child. Where is celibacy in that scenario?
Your church must be the nexus where all improbable events happen. That is some pretty improbably odds you are defying there.

When I was a little kid, my buddies and I used to try and one up each other on how great our dads were. My dad could beat up a bear. Well my dad could beat up two bears with one hand tied behind his back. I guess you never grew out of that and just extended it to other areas of your life.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
SO THIS IS MY TAKE! By what you all are sharing.

All Christians are bigoted and self righteous. NO ONE ever changes. Prayer is made up along with our God. We just hate everyone that isn't like us. All Christians who say they were changes is all made up. We disrespect anyone not like us. And everyone else is just wonderful and terrific.

Thanks ;)
You said it, not us.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
SO THIS IS MY TAKE! By what you all are sharing.

All Christians are bigoted and self righteous. NO ONE ever changes. Prayer is made up along with our God. We just hate everyone that isn't like us. All Christians who say they were changes is all made up. We disrespect anyone not like us. And everyone else is just wonderful and terrific.

Thanks ;)
A gross over-reaction. All we asked was for something more than "I saw a miracle, therefore you should all accept it." Or, "somebody survived cancer, so that proves that God cures cancer." We'd like to know why you think God cures so very, very few cancers, yet is utterly silent on so very many others...not even a card with good wishes.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
A gross over-reaction. All we asked was for something more than "I saw a miracle, therefore you should all accept it." Or, "somebody survived cancer, so that proves that God cures cancer." We'd like to know why you think God cures so very, very few cancers, yet is utterly silent on so very many others...not even a card with good wishes.
Heck, 600,000 people die each year in the US from tobacco use. What about them? Some of them must be "true" Christians. The kind that have "real" and "true" faith. Maybe it would be millions if not for prayer. Yeah, That's it. Proof that prayer works, because only 600,000 people die annually from tobacco use.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Automotive deaths in the US are about 35,000 people per year with another 2 million injured. That would be billions if not for prayer.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
So, the only answer is celibacy? A little narrow in scope.

So let me go back to the two lesbians who came to our church. One accepted Jesus, came back about a year and a half later and said "Thank you!" Married with a man and now with child. Where is celibacy in that scenario?
Probably bisexual or repressing herself.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
*Mod Post*Pages of off topic fighting have been removed. Please keep it civil, and do not discuss reported or moderated posts.*Mod Post*

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Well, the Quran says a husband should beat his disobedient wife, the Bible does not.

men-have-authority-over-women-because-allah-has-made-the-14218561.png
You read the ISIS favorite Koran, I am told. I prefer the Koran "not advising so much violence"

upload_2019-7-9_15-15-14.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-9_15-13-50.png
    upload_2019-7-9_15-13-50.png
    193.2 KB · Views: 0