• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alec Baldwin Killed More People Than My Guns Have

Bodie

Your ignorance of the facts supporting what I'm saying really isn't my problem.

This was your argument below:

Because they're hypocrites. They don't actually support safe gun storage.

And you provided no facts

You are saying that even though the NRA offers many safety training programs and encourage the safe use and storage of firearms (which is a fact with a link I provided) they don't actually support it, this has already been addressed. I ask you to explain the Logic and provide facts for your argument.

- What would the NRA gain by more possible firearm accidents? logically it would seem to weaken and undermine everything they are about

I think the problem here is that you cannot honestly say what the real reason is for fear of undermining your stance.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This was your argument below:

And you provided no facts

You are saying that even though the NRA offers many safety training programs and encourage the safe use and storage of firearms (which is a fact with a link I provided) they don't actually support it, this has already been addressed. I ask you to explain the Logic and provide facts for your argument.

- What would the NRA gain by more possible firearm accidents? logically it would seem to weaken and undermine everything they are about

I think the problem here is that you cannot honestly say what the real reason is for fear of undermining your stance.
Okay, sea lion.

Heyo

Veteran Member
So you have no facts to support your argument and then dismiss the question, I see.

So what would the NRA have to gain from more firearm accidents? Use logic

A hint:
- More firearms accidents will not sell more firearms
You seem not to be aware of the facts here. Why do gun purchases spike after mass shootings? - CNN
Mass shootings (of which no small percentage wouldn't happen if all guns were safely stored) are advertising for gun manufacturers. And the NRA adds the slogan to that: "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

Heyo

Veteran Member
Lol, that's so incredibly niave.
Look at the data. Decreased gun ownership in the public leads (sometimes with a delay) to decreased gun ownership by criminals. Ask any country which enacted stricter gun laws (Australia for example). And besides of ownership the use of guns declines even faster.
But it has to be country wide. Bans only in states or municipalities don't have the same effect as guns and criminals are much freer to circulate.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Look at the data. Decreased gun ownership in the public leads (sometimes with a delay) to decreased gun ownership by criminals. Ask any country which enacted stricter gun laws (Australia for example). And besides of ownership the use of guns declines even faster.
But it has to be country wide. Bans only in states or municipalities don't have the same effect as guns and criminals are much freer to circulate.
Just because it worked everywhere else does not mean it will work here. This is 'Mericah! We're stupid. Need proof? We elected Donald J. Trump as President.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Lol, that's so incredibly niave.
It's not naive; the devil is just in the words "if effective"; I admit it's quite an "if."

Implementing an outright ban on even handguns guns in the US would certainly run into huge problems. The truth remains, though: the illegal gun market is almost entirely fed by the legal gun market. Virtually every gun used in crime started out as a legal gun.

Any approach that's serious about stopping guns from getting into the hands of criminals has to confront the fact that, ultimately, the problem of criminal guns starts with the firearms industry and "law-abiding" gun owners.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
If you think Americans are going to turn in their guns because of a ban you are very niave. All it will do is instantly create criminals that were formerly lawful gun owners.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
It's not naive; the devil is just in the words "if effective"; I admit it's quite an "if."

Implementing an outright ban on even handguns guns in the US would certainly run into huge problems. The truth remains, though: the illegal gun market is almost entirely fed by the legal gun market. Virtually every gun used in crime started out as a legal gun.

Any approach that's serious about stopping guns from getting into the hands of criminals has to confront the fact that, ultimately, the problem of criminal guns starts with the firearms industry and "law-abiding" gun owners.
Nonsense. Lots of countries have lots of gun and very little crime.
And in the US the main problem is gang activity... it's a social problem not a gun problem.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
It will cut down on the vast majority of gun deaths. Thats what it will accomplish
Suicides will still be suicides. Criminals will still be criminals, no matter the tools used.
And a gun ban will not lead to less guns. It will just lead to more people being viewed as criminals because they will hide the guns, not turn them in...
I lost all mine in a tragic boating accident BTW.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Nonsense. Lots of countries have lots of gun and very little crime.
Lots of countries have lots of hunting weapons. Rifles and shotguns that get locked up when they aren't being used for hunting.

Where the US is unique is its handgun fetish.

And in the US the main problem is gang activity... it's a social problem not a gun problem.
Lots of countries have gangs, but they don't have the firearm death rate of the US. The difference is guns.

... but let's work through a scenario: take an average gang shooting; let's look through the chain of custody for the gun that was used. Do you think that gun can be traced back to a legal gun manufacturer, distributor, retailer, etc.?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Lots of countries have lots of hunting weapons. Rifles and shotguns that get locked up when they aren't being used for hunting.

Where the US is unique is its handgun fetish.

Lots of countries have gangs, but they don't have the firearm death rate of the US. The difference is guns.

... but let's work through a scenario: take an average gang shooting; let's look through the chain of custody for the gun that was used. Do you think that gun can be traced back to a legal gun manufacturer, distributor, retailer, etc.?
You underestimate Americans ingenuity. If the manufacturer didnt produce arms and ammunition anymore, any experienced machinest can build a gun. It would all be a black market deal. More to the point, the guns already illegally owned would not suddenly cease to exist.