• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alec Baldwin Killed More People Than My Guns Have

Bodie

"The" NRA is the lobbying group of the gun manufacturers, at least at the top. They oppose any law that could, even potentially or in the future, limit gun sales. (And gun safety does that as 1. money you have to spend on a safe is money you can't spend on guns; and 2. paranoid people want their gun loaded under their pillow. If they can't have that, they wouldn't buy a gun.)

An opinion devoid of facts

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
"The" NRA is the lobbying group of the gun manufacturers, at least at the top. They oppose any law that could, even potentially or in the future, limit gun sales. (And gun safety does that as 1. money you have to spend on a safe is money you can't spend on guns; and 2. paranoid people want their gun loaded under their pillow. If they can't have that, they wouldn't buy a gun.)
That doesn't mean that all NRA members are in on the lobbying. Many are concerned about safety and would even welcome stricter gun laws.
The NRA used to be mostly a safety organization. When I was a kid our father had us take an NRA safety course before we were allowed to shoot. It was in the 1970s when they began the switch from gun use safety being their main concern to protecting gun ownership.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I remember Bill Clinton and Obama were very useful in that department as well whenever they said something about guns and there was good reason, people were afraid that they would not be able to legally own certain firearms so to grandfather in their legally purchased and constitutionally protected right they bought them in droves.
Gun sales went down in the Trump years:

"Obama's exit from the White House seems to have provided some Americans relief about the security of their Second Amendment rights. Since President Donald Trump won election in November, gun sales appear to be going down. In December 2016, for example, a popular time for gun sales as Christmas presents, the FBI conducted just 2.8 million backgrounds checks. The year before, the FBI conducted 3.3 million background checks around Christmas. Gun sales so far this year appear to have dropped by 17 percent."

source: Gun Sales Down After Obama Boom Years

So the gun-totin', truck drivin' (with those metal testicle things hanging from the back), White supremacist Trump supporters bought less guns during his years? I would think some would support this, but no matter.
As a side question, why would any NFAC member actively support or vote for Joe Biden? I support the NFAC because they are legally exercising their right as Americans and they are actively teaching gun safety and responsible ownership. of course they did have some accidents that were fully preventable during marches, luckily no innocent bystanders got hurt. DO NOT LOCK AND LOAD UNTIL READY TO FIRE

NFAC site:
Training | Black NFAC

Why would an NFAC member support or vote for Joe Biden who made a campaign point of banning "assault rifles"? it just wouldn't make sense

Assault rifles are a must for the go to dad who wants to raise his children to be mass murderers.

Assault rifles are designed to kill. Pit an idiot in charge of one and you have a recipe for death.

Who the **** needs an assault rifle to prove his manhood, all your are providing is you haven't got the guts to be a human being.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Assault rifles are a must for the go to dad who wants to raise his children to be mass murderers.

Assault rifles are designed to kill. Pit an idiot in charge of one and you have a recipe for death.

Who the **** needs an assault rifle to prove his manhood, all your are providing is you haven't got the guts to be a human being.
Do you believe that assault rifles are widely available here?
The laws & such rifles aren't what media lead you to believe.
Nor are the gun owners I know anything like what the slavering
anti-gunners say.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Yep, state laws that have loosened gun restrictions, according to the article:

"It is “indisputably true” that there have been far more new laws that loosen gun restrictions than tighten them, said Michael Hammond, the legislative counsel at Gun Owners of America, a Virginia-based “no compromise” gun lobbying organization. The way a state reacts to mass shootings depends on who controls its legislature, he said. And in the case of the states that expanded access to firearms, most were controlled by Republicans."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yep, state laws that have loosened gun restrictions, according to the article:

"It is “indisputably true” that there have been far more new laws that loosen gun restrictions than tighten them, said Michael Hammond, the legislative counsel at Gun Owners of America, a Virginia-based “no compromise” gun lobbying organization. The way a state reacts to mass shootings depends on who controls its legislature, he said. And in the case of the states that expanded access to firearms, most were controlled by Republicans."
The "loosening" has been in the area of concealed carry
permits. Such license holders don't loom large in the
wrongful guns use statistics. We're more regulated than
other gun owners. I favor this.
I know of no instance wherein a concealed carry license
(CCW / CPL) holder has ever committed mass murder.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Do you believe that assault rifles are widely available here?
The laws & such rifles aren't what media lead you to believe.
Nor are the gun owners I know anything like what the slavering
anti-gunners say.

My reply re assault rifles was in reply to post 119.

And yet you still have the highest gun crime/gun related deaths.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You can't be serious with that,
Don't presume to tell me what I think.

so regardless of all the programs, training, and advocacy to safety they are actively involved in they secretly hate gun safety.
What would be the motivation to oppose it? More gun accidents means less argument they have for gun ownership, so please tell me what that argument serves other than a personal drive by hit piece on the NRA that makes zero sense.
What does the NRA have to gain by that?
The NRA is in the business of selling guns. They get paid quite a bit to help the gun industry sell guns, and to take action to stop laws that might reduce the number of guns that can be sold.

Fear sells guns. A lot of guns have been sold by the idea that keeping guns is a proper response to that fear. The conceit of this fear narrative requires that the guns be kept loaded and ready to be used, and that gun owners be ready to use them when they're not necessarily alert or ready (e.g. startled awake in the middle of the night).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Don't presume to tell me what I think.

The NRA is in the business of selling guns. They get paid quite a bit to help the gun industry sell guns, and to take action to stop laws that might reduce the number of guns that can be sold.

Fear sells guns. A lot of guns have been sold by the idea that keeping guns is a proper response to that fear. The conceit of this fear narrative requires that the guns be kept loaded and ready to be used, and that gun owners be ready to use them when they're not necessarily alert or ready (e.g. startled awake in the middle of the night).
Look who's selling fear....but of the NRA & gun owners.

Heyo

Veteran Member
An opinion devoid of facts
The fact is that the US has by far the most gun deaths in high income countries - and the least restrictions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States
Facts is that "Two-thirds of Americans now support stricter gun control laws, polls have found. Further, nearly 90 percent of Americans support background checks for gun purchases." - NRA has backed most state gun laws passed since Sandy Hook
Take these two things together and explain why it is so difficult to implement stricter gun laws, even when the democrats control both houses and have the presidency.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Passing on the responsibility might be what occurred to Baldwin, unless something rather different happened, but it is just too easy to be casual around weapons, especially ones one doesn't own. I've mentioned this before - my brother visited and I showed him the Webley air pistol I owned. Since people like to hear the sound of them going off, he failed to check whether there was a pellet in the barrel (there was) when he primed it. Fortunately i caught this before he broke a window or did something worse - and he isn't stupid. The weapon was used to scare off pigeons and I was the only one who used it, such that it was safe for me - left unprimed - but I failed to realise someone else might not check. So partly my fault too.