• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alec Baldwin Killed More People Than My Guns Have

Heyo

Veteran Member
They probably steal them. That's kinda what criminals do. So your solution is to take them away from the people who actually paid for them?
Can you think of a better solution?
All you are doing here is the same as the NRA, trying to obstruct any and every solution.
Btw: if your gun gets stolen by a criminal, you also don't have a gun (and the criminals have one more). My proposed solution: don't let your gun lie around where it can be stolen. Get a safe. And to ensure that less responsible gun owners also get a safe, make it mandatory. Deal?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Maybe we should ban rope, because the people I know who committed suicide used ropes. And then we could ban bridges that are hight enough to die if you jump and tall buildings also...and cliffs and knives and....
We ought to work to prevent suicide by any means, whether that means safety barriers on subway platforms or giving a closer look to who has access to guns.

Handguns are especially suited to suicide, so they warrant a special focus.

... and I'm sure you already realized this, your whataboutism notwithstanding.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Locking your gun up assures that you won't have access to it when you need it.
You would still have access when you need it for any legitimate use. Keeping your guns locked in a safe is no obstacle to hunting, target shooting, collecting, etc.

It's not even an obstacle to brandishing your gun at someone on your property; it'll just take a minute.

What it's an obstacle to is firing off your gun at a presumed intruder while you're still half-asleep... but this is a reckless use of firearms and I'm fine with making it more difficult.

And "secure" is relative anyway. Not much is secure to a person with a torch.
The action movie scenarios you think you need your gun to protect yourself against must be fascinating if you think this is a significant risk for you.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
With more guns than people in the U.S. you'd think half of us would be dead if misuse was so rampant.
Well, you guys do have a mass shooting like, every other week or so.

On gun violence, the United States is an outlier
America's gun culture in charts
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/14/2021-gun-violence/

Almost forty thousand gun deaths per year is nothing to sneeze at.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Statistically speaking you are far more likely to die or be injured in a car wreck than be murdered or injured by a firearm, I don't think anyone opposes driver education.
In the year 2019 there were 37,595 deaths from car crashes in the USA.
In the same year, there were 39,707 gun deaths in the USA.

FastStats

You should stop repeating your mantra now. ;)

Last edited:

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Can you think of a better solution?
All you are doing here is the same as the NRA, trying to obstruct any and every solution.
Btw: if your gun gets stolen by a criminal, you also don't have a gun (and the criminals have one more). My proposed solution: don't let your gun lie around where it can be stolen. Get a safe. And to ensure that less responsible gun owners also get a safe, make it mandatory. Deal?
No. I live in a rural area and have no kids around the house. When I need a gun I'm not going to have to unlock a safe. If you need a safe buy one. It's called personal responsibility.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Excuses, excuses. Just say it out loud. You don't mind people getting shot. For you getting gunned down is just the risk of living in the US.
You should go into comedy. Why would I want anyone to get shot? I'm a peaceful individual. I don't live in downtown Detroit. Getting shot is way down on my list of worries. I suggest that we do something about the gangs and drugs that lead to most killings, instead of taking guns from people like me who use them for legitimate purposes.

Heyo

Veteran Member
No. I live in a rural area and have no kids around the house. When I need a gun I'm not going to have to unlock a safe. If you need a safe buy one. It's called personal responsibility.
Personal responsibility ...
How would you like to be made personal responsible for what is done with your gun? If it gets used in a crime you'd be treated as an accessory? That way you can get a safe or take the risk. You'd be personal responsible.

Heyo

Veteran Member
You should go into comedy. Why would I want anyone to get shot? I'm a peaceful individual. I don't live in downtown Detroit. Getting shot is way down on my list of worries. I suggest that we do something about the gangs and drugs that lead to most killings, instead of taking guns from people like me who use them for legitimate purposes.
I didn't say you want somebody to get shot, I said you don't mind. And I know that because you didn't provide a suggestion to handle the problem and you disagree with any suggested solution. You simply don't care. I'm not even a citizen of the US and I don't plan to visit (much too dangerous) but I try to find solutions, I look up statistics to inform people about the size of the problem and all you do is playing negative Nancy.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I didn't say I didn't care about suicide. If you have ever lost someone to suicide you would not be flippant about it with others. But there are lots of ways to take yourself out and guns may be quick but they are not the cleanest option or only option. If someone doesn't have a gun they find another method.

More than half suicide deaths are by firearms: NIMH » Suicide

Since most suicide attempts are impulsive, having a firearm available increases the risk of it being successful quite a bit.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Is it too early?

As unfortunate and tragic as the onset accidental shooting is it begs the question, why are so many actors in movies that are actively anti-gun act in movies that feature firearms?

"NRA Safety Rules

The fundamental NRA rules for safe gun handling are:

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does."
source: NRA Safety Rules
My father used to belong to the NRA-- until he saw just how radical and disnhonest they'd become. He got so angry with them that he took his NRA card, cut it up into small pieces, mailed it to the NRA and told them where they could put it [my dad was a WWII vet in the Pacific Theatre under MacArthur, so he was pansy, let me tell ya]. And now all hell has broke loose with them with their scandals, why should anyone now support that corrupt organization that loves guns more than our own people.

This post is a one-and-out as I have no willingness to read the lame excuses supporting the NRA and why guns are supposedly our best friends.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
More than half suicide deaths are by firearms: NIMH » Suicide
And if I kept a loaded gun in our house, I'd have a dead son. He suffers from bipolar disorder, try to commit suicide by knife twice when in his mid-teens, and he told me later that if I kept a loaded gun in the house he'd have used it. He's now 48 and owns his own construction company.

BTW, I guess I should adjust the ending of my last post. Nah--gotta go-- wife is calling.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
And if I kept a loaded gun in our house, I'd have a dead son. He suffers from bipolar disorder, try to commit suicide by knife twice when in his mid-teens, and he told me later that if I kept a loaded gun in the house he'd have used it. He's now 48 and owns his own construction company.

BTW, I guess I should adjust the ending of my last post. Nah--gotta go-- wife is calling.

I am glad your son survived!

One of my student a few years ago went on Thanksgiving break to a relative's house, found a loaded gun in a drawer and shot himself.

Had they kept that gun locked up, he could still be alive.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
What do you think you're going to need a gun for?
I have used a gun every fall and winter for at least 40 years. Let's see ... hunting, ( food) trapping, ( money), living real life.
Defense if necessary. I've seen a situation where I was glad I had one on when attacked by animal and potential attack by a person.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Personal responsibility ...
How would you like to be made personal responsible for what is done with your gun? If it gets used in a crime you'd be treated as an accessory? That way you can get a safe or take the risk. You'd be personal responsible.
I'm responsible if someone steals my car and runs someone over? How stupid is that logic?