• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ads and Upgrades

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's understandable to do this to compensate for the costs required to keep the forum running well. I would donate if I could, but since I can't, I'm going to make sure my AdBlock is always turned off for RF.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I belong to another forum (old engines) which asks for yearly donations (no upgrade in service). I pay in order to keep'm going. I'd pay here if RF let loose with some money to replace their old terlits with Kohler Cimmarons. They save water, & they don't clog.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Let's start this discussion as there are usually a lot of opinions. I find it better to vet them out now. I don't think it is too much to ask in return for a nice place to hangout.

Firstly the question is Why Ads?

That's simple. It costs money to run, update, purchase, blah, blah. And ads provide us revenue to do these things.

What have we done?

We have enable a few ads for guest users thus far. Log out to see. Most likely in the future we will do something similar for members.

Can I get rid of them?
Yes we will have an "Upgrade" option to rid them.
Which route gives you more money?
I ask because if the looking at adds gives you more money, I will go that route.
If the upgrade gives you more money, i will go that route.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
@brent/Rex

Is it going to get to a point where members that don't upgrade will eventually lose access to RF (not able to post and such)? And the only way to remedy it all ... will be by upgrading?

I hope it doesn't come to that.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
@brent/Rex

Is it going to get to a point where members that don't upgrade will eventually lose access to RF (not able to post and such)? And the only way to remedy it all ... will be by upgrading?

I hope it doesn't come to that.

It seems to me that the answer will depend a lot on how many members upgrade. The more that do, the better condition to allow for non-paying members there is.

Money is like that.

Any bets on how long will it take until some sort of gift exchange thread is created?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I have one question. How is the renewal of upgrade payments handled? Is it a recurrent, automatic charge in PayPal? How can I stop it if need be?

Brent W

Resident Tech Guy
I have one question. How is the renewal of upgrade payments handled? Is it a recurrent, automatic charge in PayPal? How can I stop it if need be?

It is recurring. You can manage all your subscriptions via your Paypal account.