• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Activist atheism

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Lately I've been studying viewpoints of various atheists, and am disturbed at many of their radical agendas for society. They want to abolish religions, including home school and religious schools. Basically, they consider non-atheists as people not deserving of participation in society, because of viewpoints so obviously incorrect and untrue.

But considering that atheism merely assumes materialism and physicalism, explaining everything in terms of these, their hatred of spiritual beliefs seems unwarranted.

Ignoring atrocities by both atheists and religious, I don't see evidence that improvements to our world are all the result of atheism, and that religion holds us back.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Lately I've been studying viewpoints of various atheists, and am disturbed at many of their radical agendas for society. They want to abolish religions, including home school and religious schools. Basically, they consider non-atheists as people not deserving of participation in society, because of viewpoints so obviously incorrect and untrue.

But considering that atheism merely assumes materialism and physicalism, explaining everything in terms of these, their hatred of spiritual beliefs seems unwarranted.

Ignoring atrocities by both atheists and religious, I don't see evidence that improvements to our world are all the result of atheism, and that religion holds us back.

Uh... are you talking about anyone who actually exists?

It doesn't look like you are.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Yes, although I think I have encountered some of the opinions you describe, the conclusions you go on to draw about atheist plans for society seem a bit far-fetched. Can you provide evidence for what you say?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
@dmap - it's important to remember that radical agendas are precisely that. Every ideological movement has its radicals, and atheists are no exception. And like every ideological movement, the radicals are not the dominant voice. Most atheists are quite content to live-and-let live, just as most theists are content to do exactly the same. Remember that before thinking about this causes you too much stress. I say that as much to myself as I do to you. :D

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Lately I've been studying vieints of various atheists, and am disturbed at many of their radical agendas for society. They want to abolish religions, including home school and religious schools. Basically, they consider non-atheists as people not deserving of participation in society, because of viewpoints so obviously incorrect and untrue.

Could you provide more information - Links, citations to where you got this garbage on what atheist want?

Btw, atheist :
a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

Nothing more, nothing less, anything additional to disbelief in gods is down to your own misunderstanding.

Audie

Veteran Member

Studying the viewpoints of various atheists?
Such as?
Let us join you in the study.

Hatred of spiritual beliefs? I'd really like to
see an example of this.

Now as for some atheists being roused to
action,sure. The goddies have run the
show, everywhere, for millenia-mostly
for the benefit of the "priests" and their
buddies the kings.

The Soviet revolution had much to do with
the centuries of oppression laid on society
by the Russian Orthodox Church. Not
"atheism" as such.

Then there is this...that improvements to our world are all the result of atheism, and that religion holds us back

All the result of atheism? :D
Argument against claim never made is, you know,
called a strawman.

However, if you wish to say that religion has never
held any society /culture back, that is seriously
ridiculous.

Look into the role of religion in Tibet prior to
the good folks from Beijing doing something
about it. Say, that was atheists v goddies!

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster

I hear they are all plotting with the Illuminati

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
For the most part, I consider the atheist I have met on the internet and in this forum to be reasonable, rational people that are willing to listen and discuss issues. I like them for that. There have been a small few that have leaned toward a zealous application of their views that could be said to approach activism, but hardly strong enough or close enough for me to fully consider them activist, though I confess to calling one that as a goad.

I do not see any hatred of spiritual beliefs, but I do see resistance to those that insist their religious beliefs should be the views of everyone. I resist that too and I am not an atheist.

I do not think that atheists care what I believe, but there is an interest in what I do in reference to that belief. Should poor application of belief be tolerated simply because the person believing it claims to follow a religion? A person might imagine being generous every day of their life, but if they never give, then it does matter what they imagine.

The improvements in our world were and are the result of people that have have held and hold many and various views on religion including not following a religion or believing in a deity. Dogmatic adherence to belief can hold back progress, but it does not have to be dogmatic belief in a religion. Politics, economics, criminal justice, superstition, and a host of other ideologies can hold back progress or be used to create havoc. Taking things to the extreme often has a negative impact. Extremism does not have an exclusive source with a single view, but given the disparity in numbers of atheists compared to the religious, it should be no surprise that extremism is numerically superior in groups with a religious basis.

PureX

Veteran Member
You were replying to his post, making a false claim of his motivations:

"Right, because the bigots are always the OTHER GUYS, not US!"

He didn't accuse anyone of anything except the OP for inventing a premise.
I didn't say he accused anyone of anything. I said he responded as if he were being accused when he was not. Please try and pay attention to the actual discourse.

Also, how many of you atheists ASSUMED that because the OP did not specifically say ALL, MANY, SOME, or A FEW ATHEISTS that he meant each and every atheist, and therefor that "dmap" meant YOU, SPECIFICALLY? And so you responded as if you, personally, had been accused?

And WHY? Why did you make this assumption?

David T

Premium Member
Could you provide more information - Links, citations to where you got this garbage on what atheist want?

Btw, atheist :
a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

Nothing more, nothing less, anything additional to disbelief in gods is down to your own misunderstanding.
Yes! They attend my church even!

David T

Premium Member

My experience what really they truly hate is the allowed moron factor in the church.

Now we do have the total freedom to be a moron and as such the moron factor holds it true as a constitutional right to be a moron. Atheists do allow being a moron constitutional rightn is true, but they balk at the idea that moron is natural or has anything much to or say at all about nature. I mean if nature did allow for moron to be true then there would be no atheists. They then would be believers..

In that case personally i would be an issolated recluse never to be seen again and for moron reality i would be big foot and i would make crop circles for entertainment purposes.

Is jesus a moron? I dont think atheists generally even go there they dont care. They really are more annoyed by morons than anything.