1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Show Of Hands To A Simple Question

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Skwim, Feb 24, 2019.

?
  1. Free will DOES exist

22 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Free will DOES NOT exist

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. I dont know

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  1. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,121
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    Yes, that is well-supported by the text, unrealistic as the concept still sounds to me.

2. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium सच्चितानन्द

Ratings:
    +7,389
    Religion:
    Advaitist Hindu
    I cannot respond to your poll as presented, because it does not reflect my worldview.

As I see it, free will is a condition of maya, our perceived empirical reality, which is ever-changing. So from the human perspective, yes, free will exists.

However, since maya is illusory so is free will. Free will does not exist in Absolute reality, which is unchanging, nor to one's true Self.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Amanaki

Amanaki Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,616
    Religion:
    Cultivator of Buddha Dhamma
    I have no doubt in Buddha sakyamunis teaching, so to me it does not sound unrealistic, But i can understand others may feel it sound unrealistic.

4. JChnsc19

JChnsc19 Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Religion:
    none
    I vote a hard no on this one because of things like Alzheimer’s, mentally handicapped, schizophrenia, brain tumors.

And those who believe their god has their whole life predetermined or laid out for them, how would free will even begin to be possible?

#24 JChnsc19, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Epic Beard Man

Epic Beard Man Bearded Philosopher

Ratings:
    +3,454
    Religion:
    Agnostic-Monotheist
    Then what do you call addiction? Biology demands that you satisfy cravings which affects the neurochemistry of the individual which for all intensive purposes would in fact be compulsory ergo determinism ergo not free will.

6. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Greased up & ready for action!
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +42,305
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    How to define free will?
    How to test for its existence?

I believe I have it, but I also might have no choice in the matter.

7. beenherebeforeagain

beenherebeforeagain Rogue Animist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,035
    Religion:
    Modern Animist
    It was inevitable that he would post...and that you would reply...set in motion at the moment of the big bang...

• Like Like x 2
  8. Earthling

Earthling David Henson

Ratings:
    +756
    Religion:
    Bible Believer
    Nonsense.

• Like Like x 1
  9. beenherebeforeagain

beenherebeforeagain Rogue Animist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,035
    Religion:
    Modern Animist
    just being ironic;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +11,314
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    1. Yes, I think we can choose between different possible courses of action. We do this all the time. The choices are made by us, even if they are pre-determined.

2. Do we do this independently of natural, social, or divine restraints? No, we do not. We are *always* subject to natural constraints as well as social. If I jump out of an airplane, I do not have the choice not to fall.

3. Since i don't believe in God or Fate, I think the choices we make are not subject to either of them.

4. This is a tricky one. For example, it implies that there is frequently more than one possible future. It also means there is something we do that determines which of the possible futures becomes reality. But is *we* are different, then the conditions are different, so it may well give a different future. But if we are the same, how is it *our* choice if there are different futures?

Ultimately, I think the notion of 'free will' is to ill-defined to be meaningful. it gets to questions of identity (what does it mean to say that *I* make a decision?) as well as physics and philosophy (what does it mean to say there is more than one possible future if the universe is both space and time?)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Abdemem

Abdemem Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Religion:
    Islam
    If someone is not enough mature to be responsable for his acts, if he looses his mind, if he never hear about God ...He can not be accountable the day of Judjement
    S17

15. Whoever is guided—is guided for his own good. And whoever goes astray—goes astray to his detriment. No burdened soul carries the burdens of another, nor do We ever punish until We have sent a messenger.

12. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,279
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Compatabilism is not free will. Compatabilism is belief that free will and determinism are mutually compatible. Just like 2+3 is not 2.

It's not a matter of having the ability to go back in time and choose differently: "The ability to do differently," but "The ability to have done differently."

#32 Skwim, Feb 24, 2019
  13. osgart

osgart Nothing my eye, Something for sure

Ratings:
    +1,011
    Religion:
    No Religion. I Sense The Higher Power.
    Free will exists, 1, 2,3, and 4. There are also forces that work against free will in nature, and in others. And the self can really damage their own freedom of will.

With habits and things people can very easily lose their free will muscles. Happy is the person who lives according to their conscience, if the conscience is upright.

14. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,279
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    So one doesn't take president over the other? From what you say it appears that free will doesn't exist.

15. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium सच्चितानन्द

Ratings:
    +7,389
    Religion:
    Advaitist Hindu
    In my view, one's true nature lies in Absolute reality, so I'll leave it to you to decide which takes precedence. And what I'm saying is that the truth of the existence of free will depends on one's perspective. From the perspective from a person on earth, the sun rises and sets. From the sun's perspective, there is no rise or set; all is light.

In ever-changing Vyavaharika, free will exists. In unchanging Paramarthika, it does not.

16. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,279
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Just a question or two to those who believe fee will exists.

In a particular instance of choosing, why do you think you chose to do what you did? After having answered that "because" question, Why do you think that particular reason arose? After having answered that "because" question, Why do you think that particular reason arose? Etc. Etc.

Is there any point in the regression of reasons at which there is no "because"?

#36 Skwim, Feb 24, 2019
  17. ratiocinator

ratiocinator Strange Loop

Ratings:
    +1,010
    Religion:
    none
    I said it depened on what you would accept as free will. Compatibilism would mean that you can do as you wish, without external constraints (other than practical ones). I don't see why that isn't free will. Other notions of free will tend to be incoherent.

So, what does that mean (exactly)?

18. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,279
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    So the validity of free will only resides in one's perspective, and doesn't exist as an ability on its own. Interesting.

19. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,279
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Consider the definition of determinism; this one from the Encyclopedia Britannica:

Determinism,
    in philosophy, theory that all events, including moral choices, are completely determined by previously existing causes.

If one believes that all events, including moral choices, are completely determined by previously existing, how does free will fit into the equation?

It's just a way to express the assertion that true, unrestricted choosing exists. That faced with A or B one is equally able to select one or the other.

However, my question would be, if that's true, then what is behind the reason one chose A over B?

20. England my lionheart

England my lionheart Rockerjahili Rebel
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,374
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Not everyone's an addict though,we all have a choice to start, for example,smoking or not.