• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A rise in anti-religious sentiment on the forums?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Is it just me or has there been a rise in anti-religious sentiment on these forums lately? It seems to have become a common theme in most of the threads I've looked at recently. Has anyone else noticed and been concerned by this?
I've noticed it and I'm annoyed by it. There isn't anything any of us can do about it, though. The staff might be able to address it, though. OMG! I just noticed. You're staff! :D

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I've noticed it and I'm annoyed by it. There isn't anything any of us can do about it, though. The staff might be able to address it, though. OMG! I just noticed. You're staff! :D

We can't do anything about people's sentiments, only the way they're expressed.

Morse

To Extinguish

Staff: "Ahem, yes, I have an announcement to all Anti-Theists!!" *Claps hands together* "Due to a recent influx of your type, the ratio of Theists to Non-Theists has been changed too severely for our liking. We now ask approximately 23.91 of you to depart RF. Thank you."

If you cannot handle other peoples points of view IN THE DEBATE FORUM no less, close your eyes and ignore it (shouldn't be too hard, practice made perfect right?).

Sorry, I feel bad now, but the point remains.
Regards FtF,
Morse

Amill

Apikoros
It shouldn't be bothering anyone unless people are going into non debate forums or religious restricted forums. There are plenty of avenues to have discussions with like-minded people if folks are bothered by skeptics.

OmarKhayyam

OK all kidding aside.

Assuming arguendo this compliant is true WHY is it a problem? You guys feel outnumbered, perhaps outgunned as well. So wha-a-a-t?

You might try some better arguments. Maybe LEARN something about what you don't believe in. Maybe (GASP) even consider that your beliefs MIGHT - just MIGHT - be wrong.

Why is your only position that we should shut up?

MissAlice

Wow an anti-religious campaign?

Now I know I'm going to have to stick around for the drama!! :jester3:

Anyway why go into discussions of debate if you can't handle differences in point of view? It is my understanding that there is just as much debates among the people of faith as there are those without.

Might as well stick around safe discussions that don't contend one opposing view from another....

Last edited:

The Neo Nerd

Being only new here and an atheist i coudn't tell you.

However i know i am pretty guilty of the ridicule etc.

But when arguing a topic and a theist absolutely refuse to answer simple questions or even research the arguments they are making such tactics are the only recourse (except for bowing out of the discussion) A perfect example of this is some theists complete ignorance of the true theory or evolution and an absolute unwillingness to research it themselves or accept the corrections made to their misunderstandings by people who have.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend MoonWater,

A rise in anti-religious sentiment on the forums?

Sorry to state that personally take Religion to be just a PATH/WAY towards knowing the SELF and kindly remember that *ATHEISM* too is a pathless PATH.
It is just that they follow a different religion which is not boxed into any set pattern.
Kindly remember that those who come to RF! obviously is in search of their *SELF* but as mentioned their WAY/PATH could be any one even no-path.
Love & rgds

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
okay since a number of people brought this up let me make this clear. I nor anyone else here in this thread never once said that anyone needs to "shut up" nor is this thread about "not being able to handle opposing viewpoints". I specified "anti-religious sentiment" not "non-religious sentiment". It's not other people's view points I have trouble with, its when other people belittle and degrade other people and/or their viewpoints that I have a problem. And it just seems to me that this attitude has become more prevalent on RF particularly towards religion and the religious.

Jaiket put it best:

I haven't been on a lot lately to notice anything. My impression is that the proportion of non-theists is now a lot higher than when I joined. Anti-religious feeling is higher in that group. I am concerned at anti-religious opinions since I often find they are expressed in offensive ways. I'm anti-religious to a degree, but I'm sure I can chat without using hostile or ridiculing terms and phrases.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
I have no problem with it so long as the Anti-(A)Theist attitude does not affect the intelligence level. It has a habit of doing that. I think more and more are beginning to discover this forum. It IS a good forum. And for all my time debating religion on the net, I had only discovered it a little while ago when I'd joined...

MissAlice

Well I haven't been on here long enough and my former post wasn't to offend but to humor.

I'll refrain next time from coming off offensive...whatever is considered offenssive besides ad hominem attacks. I realize the subject of religion is a highly sensative matter.

As for atheism being a pathless path....I think that would depend on the atheist. For me a path is learning from cause and effect.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Well I haven't been on here long enough and my former post wasn't to offend but to humor.

I'll refrain next time from coming off offensive...whatever is considered offenssive besides ad hominem attacks. I realize the subject of religion is a highly sensative matter.

As for atheism being a pathless path....I think that would depend on the atheist. For me a path is learning from cause and effect.

I wasn't reffering to you in particular and i didn't find anything offensive in your post. Or were you speaking of avoiding offence in general rather than just that specific post?

Danarch

Robot!
Noticed yes. Concerned no.;)

Partly it may be just the normal changing of the posting population ebb and flow kind of thing.

IF IF there is something more to it it may just be the rise of secularism in general in the US. We have been quiet for a long time. The RR has made a great noise the past few years and continues to do so. They have been more honest and open about what they plan for us and perhaps we are just mad as hell and won't take it anymore.

I have no hard evidence for this and make no strong claim. Just - maybe.:shrug:

fighting0010.gif
fighting0015.gif

MissAlice

I wasn't reffering to you in particular and i didn't find anything offensive in your post.

Ok, I was just wondering. I didn't know whether my post came off offensive or not.

Or were you speaking of avoiding offence in general rather than just that specific post?

Not sure I understand. When I said I'm fairly new here I was hinting that I'm not sure what could be taken as offensive to people of faith besides ad hominems and insulting insinuations. As an agnostic I've debated with both atheists and religious fundementalists. So it is not easy for me to clump together a group of people especially those who lack a faith in a god or gods.

I guess in short I'm confused as I don't know what's been going on with the attitude of atheists being here.

OmarKhayyam

What has been going on is that some of us have been saying out loud what we have been thinking for some time. The (self described) more tender, loving, kind hearted and sensitive among us are aghast to learn we really DO think what they believe is not simply wrong but childish and shallow.

That revelation has been shocking to their sense that a healthy humanity requires the belief in a supernatural loving god. They feel themselves besieged by an army of hateful devil worshipers who have dared to suggest that their most cherished and deeply beliefs are little more than than silly illusions.

In a word - how DARE we be so - so - insensitive !:eek:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Is it just me or has there been a rise in anti-religious sentiment on these forums lately? It seems to have become a common theme in most of the threads I've looked at recently. Has anyone else noticed and been concerned by this?
Its been like that for a while now, and many of us are discussing this on certain forums.
It has certainly lowered the level of discussion and debate that made me join the forum. no more are the days I would log in to find numerous stimulating threads, who may or may not be exclusively about religious topics.
I think many people cannot differentiate between constructive criticism and mindless flame baits.
It seems that some people lack the ability to discuss existing phenomena, that will keep existing for quite a while, with or without their ridicule, further more they spray their ridicule indiscriminately, on the moderate and the extreme a like. not the kind of generalizing that gives a good fiber to a forum.

OmarKhayyam

Poor baby.:sad: Pity these religious folk. They are SO put upon.

'Why can't those godless heathens (blight on humanity that they are) just acknowledge that religious faith is the sine qua non for a human existence? Instead they push this logic reason and fact mantra totally ignoring the simple fact that these are all the flawed inventions of godless men.

The time is out of joint. But we are called by God to set it right.'

That about it?