• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Democratic Movement is Inevitable

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Tulsi Gabbard is a perfect example of someone who is deeply prejudiced and talks verbosely yet does nothing useful of note and claims to be "independent-minded." She seems to try to appeal to portions of both parties' prejudices without much success in either direction.

The problems within the bipartisan system of the US seem to me too deep and complicated to be resolved by one ideologue's gesture of protest. Just as Gabbard's presence in presidential elections has been pale and irrelevant, I suspect this stunt will be as well. Actual reform would probably require other steps that neither she nor either party seems willing or able to take at this time.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Based on what she said, she certainly doesn't seem even remotely interested in joining that Pub Party either.

I have long preferred the parliamentary system that is much more compatible with having multiple political parties, so I'm all in favor of having a 3rd Constitutional Convention if it would do that.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Tulsi Gabbard is a perfect example of someone who is deeply prejudiced and talks verbosely yet does nothing useful of note and claims to be "independent-minded." She seems to try to appeal to portions of both parties' prejudices without much success in either direction.

The problems within the bipartisan system of the US seem to me too deep and complicated to be resolved by one ideologue's gesture of protest. Just as Gabbard's presence in presidential elections has been pale and irrelevant, I suspect this stunt will be as well. Actual reform would probably require other steps that neither she nor either party seems willing or able to take at this time.
It is quite complicated for sure.

However, it doesn't seem to be "one ideologue's gesture of protest."

More than 1 million voters switch to GOP, raising alarm for Democrats

And that doesn't include those who went independent:

Election Statistics Show Growing Percentage of Independent Voters - InDepthNH.org

Of course there are those who have left the Republican party:

Thousands of Republicans Leave the Party, Registration Data Shows

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a political career move, not an ideological one. Easier to grift the right with nontroversies like trans people in sports and claim it's the opposition who is really virtue signaling.

I'm not super enthralled with the democratic party either, and I would switch if the options of an actual progressive party or green party were available to me. But at least I don't spend my time pretending to be something I'm not to get ahead financially.

Kenny

Premium Member
Based on what she said, she certainly doesn't seem even remotely interested in joining that Pub Party either.

I have long preferred the parliamentary system that is much more compatible with having multiple political parties, so I'm all in favor of having a 3rd Constitutional Convention if it would do that.

I believe there is an effort of another Constitutional Convention.

If I am not mistaken, it is moving forward however slowly:
Progress Map: States that have passed the Convention of States Article V application - COSAction

Yerda

Veteran Member
Been in the party 20 years. Only just noticed that it is controlled by a "powerful elite".

Kenny

Premium Member
This is a political career move, not an ideological one. Easier to grift the right with nontroversies like trans people in sports and claim it's the opposition who is really virtue signaling.

I'm not super enthralled with the democratic party either, and I would switch if the options of an actual progressive party or green party were available to me. But at least I don't spend my time pretending to be something I'm not to get ahead financially.
Yes, it is always a difficult move. This actually accentuates the problem with a third and fourth party - options and impact play an important part.

I do think it is more than a political move.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
IMV
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/tulsi-gabbard-quits-democratic-party/2022/10/11/id/1091326/

I think a third and fourth party (one from each side) is inevitable.

"I can no longer remain in today's Democratic Party that is now under the complete control of an elitist cabal of warmongers driven by cowardly wokeness," Gabbard said "who divide us by racializing every issue & stoke anti-white racism, actively work to undermine our God-given freedoms, are … hostile to people of faith & spirituality, demonize the police & protect criminals at the expense of law-abiding Americans, believe in open borders, weaponize the national security state to go after political opponents, and above all, dragging us ever closer to nuclear war."

^ disgusting dog-whistles on twitter courtesy of opportunist political scum.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Shaul

Premium Member
Sounds like she has made the political calculation that the Republicans are in ascension and will take Congress and therefore she wants to be in the Party that is in power.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It is quite complicated for sure.

However, it doesn't seem to be "one ideologue's gesture of protest."

More than 1 million voters switch to GOP, raising alarm for Democrats

And that doesn't include those who went independent:

Election Statistics Show Growing Percentage of Independent Voters - InDepthNH.org

Of course there are those who have left the Republican party:

Thousands of Republicans Leave the Party, Registration Data Shows

Sometimes number don't tell the entire story. The right is increasingly authoritarian and is attracting those who like authoritarian government. The left is increasingly pro-democracy. The numbers switch reflects what the people switching are looking for.

If we look at history, times of turmoil can see authoritarianism becoming apparently more desirable with the "father figure" promising tranquility and order.

And by the way "Newsmax" is a far right propaganda outlet that reports news when it's favorable to the right.

PureX

Veteran Member
IMV
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/tulsi-gabbard-quits-democratic-party/2022/10/11/id/1091326/

I think a third and fourth party (one from each side) is inevitable.
One of the very few things the two main parties agree on is that they want no viable alternative parties siphoning off votes. And they have already made creating a viable third party very difficult. And unless this mystical third party is willing and able to somehow avoid the massive corporate bribery that has so totally corrupted the two existing parties, I don't see what good having another corrupt political party will do for us.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
"However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."

- G. Washington