• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Democratic Movement is Inevitable

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Based on what she said, she certainly doesn't seem even remotely interested in joining that Pub Party either.

I have long preferred the parliamentary system that is much more compatible with having multiple political parties, so I'm all in favor of having a 3rd Constitutional Convention if it would do that.
Whatever happened to the Foreword party?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
"I can no longer remain in today's Democratic Party that is now under the complete control of an elitist cabal of warmongers driven by cowardly wokeness," Gabbard said "who divide us by racializing every issue & stoke anti-white racism, actively work to undermine our God-given freedoms, are … hostile to people of faith & spirituality, demonize the police & protect criminals at the expense of law-abiding Americans, believe in open borders, weaponize the national security state to go after political opponents, and above all, dragging us ever closer to nuclear war."

^ disgusting dog-whistles on twitter courtesy of opportunist political scum.
And yet it gives voice to so many who have been silent

Kenny

Premium Member
Sometimes number don't tell the entire story. The right is increasingly authoritarian and is attracting those who like authoritarian government. The left is increasingly pro-democracy. The numbers switch reflects what the people switching are looking for.

If we look at history, times of turmoil can see authoritarianism becoming apparently more desirable with the "father figure" promising tranquility and order.

And by the way "Newsmax" is a far right propaganda outlet that reports news when it's favorable to the right.
it isn't Newsman... it is what she said. (she said it in her own words).

With the attempt to remove filibuster in the Senate and the voicing of packing the Supreme court... I am not quite sure who will be the totalitarian. Maybe both are trying? Just who gets the benefits is the issue?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
And yet it gives voice to so many who have been silent
True. Silent racists, homophobes, xenophobes, and misogynists have long proven themselves to be a blight. It's one of the reasons that Critical Race Theory has existential value.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Whatever happened to the Foreword party?
It's still around but even though it was started by a bigger name (Andrew Yang) their stated focus has been for smaller state politics. Revising from bottom up instead of top down.

Whether or not they make any waves will depend on them being able to push past politics-as-sports-teams-with-catchy-slogans populism, and they have a better chance of that in smaller, 'lower stakes' battles.

They're still way too centrist for me, but I understand the appeal of getting people more involved with politics they have higher likelihood of impacting, to forestall political burnout and prevent tactics like predatory redistricting from working.

Kenny

Premium Member
True. Silent racists, homophobes, xenophobes, and misogynists have long proven themselves to be a blight. It's one of the reasons that Critical Race Theory has existential value.
Yes... usually the strongest defense is a litany of unsupported statements like unto these. People usually don't realize that it actually weakens your position and does not help it. You are referring to the people who are leaving the Dem party? (The subject matter)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Tulsi Gabbard is a perfect example of someone who is deeply prejudiced and talks verbosely yet does nothing useful of note and claims to be "independent-minded." She seems to try to appeal to portions of both parties' prejudices without much success in either direction.

The problems within the bipartisan system of the US seem to me too deep and complicated to be resolved by one ideologue's gesture of protest. Just as Gabbard's presence in presidential elections has been pale and irrelevant, I suspect this stunt will be as well. Actual reform would probably require other steps that neither she nor either party seems willing or able to take at this time.
Basically that. It will take something profound the break the deathgrip the two party system has here. Like with the electoral college, which makes no sense to have it anymore but it gets fiercely defended by concerns the presidential elections will only be decided by a few heavily populated states, even though the current system is decided by a few states of exception who aren't highly predictable with the presidential election.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
:) Still might be better than what you have in Canada. :)
Speakingnof Canada, you might want to check out Canadian electoral history to see what would happen if the US got a successful third party:

In 1993, the Conservatives came into the election with a majority, but the Reform Party - also right wing - that had been growing in popularity over the previous few years ran candidates nationwide.

This split the vote on the right. The Progressive Conservatives went from a majority to only winning 2 seats. This right wing split guaranteed Liberal majorities until Reform and PC merged nearly a decade later.

Kenny

Premium Member
Speakingnof Canada, you might want to check out Canadian electoral history to see what would happen if the US got a successful third party:

In 1993, the Conservatives came into the election with a majority, but the Reform Party - also right wing - that had been growing in popularity over the previous few years ran candidates nationwide.

This split the vote on the right. The Progressive Conservatives went from a majority to only winning 2 seats. This right wing split guaranteed Liberal majorities until Reform and PC merged nearly a decade later.
Thanks for sharing

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
:) Still might be better than what you have in Canada. :)
I am quite willing to bet that I know a great deal more about the United States, its politics, and its issues, then you do about the same in Canada.

I've told you before: my lover's (who could be my husband, if we wished to bother) illness, hospitalization and after-care amounted to well over a million dollars. What did we pay? Not a penny. When we have a federal or provincial election, they last around 40 days, then it's all over and done with. With a mulit-party system, it is virtually impossible for anyone to have enough power to really change our nation. We get along with each other. Check out these facts from the Canada Centre for Justice Statistics, comparing violent crimes in Canada and the US:
  • A comparison of police-reported crime rates between Canada and the United States for 2000 shows that the U.S. has much higher rates of violent crime, while Canada generally has higher rates of property crime. Despite differences in rates, trends in crime between the two countries have been quite similar over the past twenty years.
  • In Canada, there were 542 homicides in 2000 resulting in a national rate of 1.8 homicides per 100,000 population. By comparison, there were 15,517 homicides in the U.S., resulting in a rate (5.5) three times higher than Canada’s.
  • Both countries have seen a decline in the number of homicides during the past decade, particularly in the U.S. Twenty years ago, the American homicide rate was about four times that of Canada.
  • Similarly, the aggravated assault rate in the U.S. was more than double the Canadian rate in 2000. The U.S. also showed a higher rate of robbery (65% higher) than Canada. About 41% of robberies in the U.S. involved a firearm, compared to 16% in Canada.
  • Canada reported higher rates for three of the four comparable property offences. There were about 30% more break-ins and motor vehicle thefts per capita in Canada than the U.S. in 2000. While Canada has had a higher rate of break-ins since the early 1980s, the motor vehicle theft rate has only surpassed the American rate over the last five years. The arson rate in Canada was 40% higher than in the U.S., while the U.S. reported 11% more thefts per capita than Canada.
  • In examining arrest/charge data, the U.S. had much higher rates for drug offences, impaired driving and prostitution.
  • The overall incarceration rate in the US is 639 per 100,000 population of all ages (as of 2018), while the incarceration rate of Canada is 104 per 100,000 (as of 2018). The US is more than 6 times higher.
  • All measures for income inequality (comparisons of extreme wealth or poverty) were lower in Canada than in the US.
Thanks all the same, but I'll stay here.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I am quite willing to bet that I know a great deal more about the United States, its politics, and its issues, then you do about the same in Canada.

I've told you before: my lover's (who could be my husband, if we wished to bother) illness, hospitalization and after-care amounted to well over a million dollars. What did we pay? Not a penny. When we have a federal or provincial election, they last around 40 days, then it's all over and done with. With a mulit-party system, it is virtually impossible for anyone to have enough power to really change our nation. We get along with each other. Check out these facts from the Canada Centre for Justice Statistics, comparing violent crimes in Canada and the US:
  • A comparison of police-reported crime rates between Canada and the United States for 2000 shows that the U.S. has much higher rates of violent crime, while Canada generally has higher rates of property crime. Despite differences in rates, trends in crime between the two countries have been quite similar over the past twenty years.
  • In Canada, there were 542 homicides in 2000 resulting in a national rate of 1.8 homicides per 100,000 population. By comparison, there were 15,517 homicides in the U.S., resulting in a rate (5.5) three times higher than Canada’s.
  • Both countries have seen a decline in the number of homicides during the past decade, particularly in the U.S. Twenty years ago, the American homicide rate was about four times that of Canada.
  • Similarly, the aggravated assault rate in the U.S. was more than double the Canadian rate in 2000. The U.S. also showed a higher rate of robbery (65% higher) than Canada. About 41% of robberies in the U.S. involved a firearm, compared to 16% in Canada.
  • Canada reported higher rates for three of the four comparable property offences. There were about 30% more break-ins and motor vehicle thefts per capita in Canada than the U.S. in 2000. While Canada has had a higher rate of break-ins since the early 1980s, the motor vehicle theft rate has only surpassed the American rate over the last five years. The arson rate in Canada was 40% higher than in the U.S., while the U.S. reported 11% more thefts per capita than Canada.
  • In examining arrest/charge data, the U.S. had much higher rates for drug offences, impaired driving and prostitution.
  • The overall incarceration rate in the US is 639 per 100,000 population of all ages (as of 2018), while the incarceration rate of Canada is 104 per 100,000 (as of 2018). The US is more than 6 times higher.
  • All measures for income inequality (comparisons of extreme wealth or poverty) were lower in Canada than in the US.
Growing up 20 minutes from Canada, I'm very familiar with the differences. As I told you before, we almost moved there in 1970 but couldn't because my Sicilian in-laws needed frequent help.

So, since we couldn't make the move back then, and since my wife's parents have passed away, I've decided that we are going to move in with you, so which room do we get?

metis

Tulsi Gabbard is an incredible human being.
It's hilarious that she was hated by the right because she's very liberal, but now is the right's BFF because she's left the Dems.:rolleyes:

BTW, she represents a district quite close to where I live.

metis

Sounds like she has made the political calculation that the Republicans are in ascension and will take Congress and therefore she wants to be in the Party that is in power.
LOL! She's not joining the Party of Trump as she's not an ignorant person.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Growing up 20 minutes from Canada, I'm very familiar with the differences. As I told you before, we almost moved there in 1970 but couldn't because my Sicilian in-laws needed frequent help.

So, since we couldn't make the move back then, and since my wife's parents have passed away, I've decided that we are going to move in with you, so which room do we get?
Do you like city, suburban or rural life?

Kenny

Premium Member

Please do stay there...

However, your application of giving statistics of crime and relating it to Trump and democracy is a fallacy.

I also believe that for the reason of security we relinquish the responsibility of liberty is wrong. Thus you may be secure but with less freedom. Try going against the "speech control" and see what happens to you.

I am happy to live with freedom here with its responsibilities than being in subjection in Canada for the benefit of security. Personal responsibility.

(Actually, I have no issue with Canada. It is your presentation and constant berating of our country - the proverbial - pulling out our splinter in our eye while you don't behold the mote in yours) :)