• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"44 years a Republican, 1 year an Independent, today I'm joining the Democratic Party"

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I made the same move several years ago.

After spending decades as a Republican, I realized that I was actively supporting a party that was working against the ideals I held important.
I'm not always on board with everything the Democratic party puts out, and I hated Hillary Clinton as much as Donald Trump, but they are more closely aligned with my political ideology that the other major parties in the US.

And the author is right; if you want to affect political change in the US, you're going to have work from within one of the major parties.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

The author wrote that he "was on the payroll of Ronald Reagan, GWW Bush, and the Republican Party. I raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for GOP candidates and wrote many trade policy papers for them and the party."

So, he's just yet another one of those who have supported those who have ruined America, and now he's disappointed with the results of what he and his ilk have wrought.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Nobody can be defined completely by a label and changing of personal labels is normal.:fourleaf:
Great statement!

And the author is right; if you want to affect political change in the US, you're going to have work from within one of the major parties.

EXACTLY! I am an independent but registered as a Republican to affect political change.

However the IMV the Democratic party, in its current state, is becoming irrelevant.

I predict the creation of 2 more parties. A new Democratic party that is more centrist on the left and a Republican party that is further to the right than its current makeup.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
The author wrote that he "was on the payroll of Ronald Reagan, GWW Bush, and the Republican Party. I raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for GOP candidates and wrote many trade policy papers for them and the party."

So, he's just yet another one of those who have supported those who have ruined America, and now he's disappointed with the results of what he and his ilk have wrought.
Anyone who thinks that international trade policy has "ruined America" is ignorant of the issue beyond belief. Protectionism has repeatedly and consistently failed.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The Republican Party has become such a caricature that I am surprised that it is still open for business.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Anyone who thinks that international trade policy has "ruined America" is ignorant of the issue beyond belief. Protectionism has repeatedly and consistently failed.

"Ignorant"? No, I see the bigger picture and look beyond the surface, which is the exact opposite of "ignorant." Those who only rely on soundbites from right-wing economists who have been hawking free trade since the Reagan era are those who strike me as far more ignorant than anything you can accuse me of. You're just relying on propaganda and posturing here. If you have something of substance to bring to the discussion than please do, but your insistence on name-calling rather then discussing facts makes any kind of reasonable discussion with you quite difficult.

PureX

Veteran Member
I guess I'm just amazed that it took you so long. "Reaganomics" wasn't enough to change your mind? "W's" completely idiotic and unnecessary invasion of Iraq wasn't enough to change your mind? The republican repeal of the Glass-Stegall Act, the deliberate gutting of Wall Street oversight, and the subsequent global economic crash wasn't enough to change your mind? Paying twice as much for health care than every other nation of Earth and still not getting universal coverage wasn't enough to change your mind? Jerrymandering, voter suppression, and blatant election-rigging wasn't enough to make you change your mind?

tytlyf

Not Religious
I guess I'm just amazed that it took you so long. "Reaganomics" wasn't enough to change your mind? "W's" completely idiotic and unnecessary invasion of Iraq wasn't enough to change your mind? The republican repeal of the Glass-Stegall Act, the deliberate gutting of Wall Street oversight, and the subsequent global economic crash wasn't enough to change your mind? Paying twice as much for health care than every other nation of Earth and still not getting universal coverage wasn't enough to change your mind? Jerrymandering, voter suppression, and blatant election-rigging wasn't enough to make you change your mind?
To be fair, a lot of the republican base never get to hear those things. The GOP media intentionally doesn't report on them. Kinda like how it's strange any veteran would vote republican. If they knew the track records on helping veterans, they'd run from the republican party super fast.

It's all the conservative media teaching them things. And it's echoed from edge to edge in the echo chamber by all conservative entertainers. It's propaganda. All the signs and indicators are there.

Here's some good reading material.

Propaganda Techniques Ten Commandments of Propaganda 1) Divide and Conquer a)More small groups are easier to pit against each other 2) Tell the people. - ppt download

slide_2.jpg
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

SpaceAgeLove

Sentient
meh. The two major parties are greedy, unloyal whores interested in money instead of the betterment of our nation. Democrats fund rebel groups, accept donations from countries that don't align with American values in the slightest, and then they start wars that the US has no business being a part of. I just don't see them as any better than the Republicans and don't understand how others see them can see them as so different.

tytlyf

Not Religious
meh. The two major parties are greedy, unloyal whores interested in money instead of the betterment of our nation. Democrats fund rebel groups, accept donations from countries that don't align with American values in the slightest, and then they start wars that the US has no business being a part of. I just don't see them as any better than the Republicans and don't understand how others see them can see them as so different.
The parties aren't even close to being the same.

Only 1 party supports unlimited anonymous corporate donations buying up the government.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
George Will, of "National Review" fame, said today on "Morning Joe" that he quit the Republican Party mainly because of the racism that Trump spouted that Paul Ryan basically endorsed when he pledged to support Trump. When Trump blasted the Indiana judge and said he should disqualify himself because he was of Mexican heritage, Will said that this and Trump's anti-refugee (anti-Muslim bigotry) was too much for him to swallow.

tytlyf

Not Religious
You know, if it wasn't for the existential crisis in the Democratic camp, with no discernible path forward, no one would be reading hand-wringing essays like this. It plays so well into the narrative. It's not as if any political party is monolithic or than a persons political ideals are monolithic.
First I heard of that. Got a link to this huge problem?