• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“I just choose to not listen”: why Trump supporters are tuning out the scandals

Nous

Premium Member
It's very easy for someone to make judgments. Talk is cheap. Who is to say what constitutes a "legitimate" investigation versus a "psychotically delusional" one? You? Or perhaps some pundit or talking head on television?

I reject any assertions from any political faction which purports to set itself up as the sole decider of who is "enlightened" and who is "delusional" or "ignorant."

The scandals which were raised in the OP.

It's politics as usual, right?
No, the investigation into collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia is not like delusional idiots (such as Trump) claiming that Obama was born in Kenya. Expect indictments from Mueller. I assure you he will be handing a few out to people we know.

Underhill

It's called "confidence". Investors will let go of their dollars when they feel there's a reasonable expectation of return. This creates jobs as businesses receive the added boost of money that allows them to produce more goods and products to service the economy. Also, small businesses that may not be directly tied to the stock market will benefit from this atmosphere of business confidence and will likewise be able to hire new workers. You can never legislate economic success.

Sure you can. We did it with the automakers.

Underhill

Close, but no cigar. A bailout is by no means legislation.

Sure it is. It's just a short term reaction to an immediate problem. It was legislation and it did have a positive impact.

I would agree that congress isn't good at driving the markets (long term) with legislation but they can effectively react and have an impact in the short term.

This is the biggest problem with our debt load. We no longer have the reserve of spending to pull ourselves out of recession as we have in the past. I have often argued that we have bastardized Keynesian economics by carrying this long term debt. He was actually very conservative when it comes to debt, only calling for deficit spending as a means of recovery. But that is another topic altogether.

esmith

Veteran Member
However, the President can put forth any idea like tax reform, and health care; However he can not legislate any of those proposals, as we all know (I think) that requires Congress to act and so far that is not happening on either side.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No, the investigation into collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia is not like delusional idiots (such as Trump) claiming that Obama was born in Kenya.

Okay, but that's just your opinion.

Expect indictments from Mueller. I assure you he will be handing a few out to people we know.

If and when they are found guilty, then we will know. Until then, however, it's just idle speculation from the peanut gallery.

Nous

Premium Member
No, it is a fact that the investigation into collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia is not like delusional idiots (such as Trump) claiming that Obama was born in Kenya. There was no special counsel appointed to investigate wrongdoing in response to the delusional idiots (such as Trump) claiming that Obama was born in Kenya. There were no indictments, and no possibility of indictments in response to the delusional ideas of the delusional birther idiots.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No, it is a fact that the investigation into collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia is not like delusional idiots (such as Trump) claiming that Obama was born in Kenya. There was no special counsel appointed to investigate wrongdoing in response to the delusional idiots (such as Trump) claiming that Obama was born in Kenya. There were no indictments, and no possibility of indictments in response to the delusional ideas of the delusional birther idiots.

It takes one to know one.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If and when they are found guilty, then we will know. Until then, however, it's just idle speculation from the peanut gallery.
The FBI does not authorize criminal investigations, which they said it is, based on "idle speculation".

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The FBI does not authorize criminal investigations, which they said it is, based on "idle speculation".

idav

Being
Premium Member

Even being found not guilty is based on opinion. Judges verdict is called court opinion. We can only know as much as evidence allows, but we sometimes know things are going on. Some opinions are just more informed short of catching people red handed.

The economy and stock market are reflections of the companies that are in business around the world. All corporations operate in the same mindset as a person with a gambling addiction. which is why despite what the gop says businesses always do better when common sense regulations and laws are in place. They serve to protect everyone from irresponsible and corrupt gambles.

The removal of regulation and laws can lead to financial bubbles like the one in 2008. But these bubbles do not burst the day after a regulation is removed. First they grow and show strong economic growth until such a point that the bubble bursts and potentially takes us all down.

The only contribution trump has made to the economy is removing Obama era regulations that were protecting everyone from history repeating itself.

Nine of the last ten recessions have occurred under Republican Presidents. Democratic presidents create nearly twice as many jobs per year as Republican Presidents. Republican presidents' deficits are 25% larger than Democrats' and 63% higher as a percent of GDP. GDP grows 44% faster under Democratic Presidents. Business investment has grown twice as fast under Democratic Presidents than under Republican Presidents.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Another falsehood from you. A person does not have to be a delusional idiot to know a delusional idiot.

Until you produce psychiatric testimony and evidence which would prove what you're saying, then you're the one spreading falsehoods.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Even being found not guilty is based on opinion. Judges verdict is called court opinion. We can only know as much as evidence allows, but we sometimes know things are going on. Some opinions are just more informed short of catching people red handed.

That's why it's never a good idea to put too much faith in the system or what governmental officials claim. They can often be mistaken.

I just reject notions that suggest that, if an ordinary citizen says something, he's a "delusional idiot," but if the GOVERNMENT says something, it's treated as the word of God. I just don't understand that mentality.

Nous

Premium Member
Until you produce psychiatric testimony and evidence which would prove what you're saying, then you're the one spreading falsehoods.
Non-delusional non-idiots don't need "psychiatric testimony" to know that it is delusional and idiotic to believe that Obama was born in Kenya.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Non-delusional non-idiots don't need "psychiatric testimony" to know that it is delusional and idiotic to believe that Obama was born in Kenya.

Well, the thing is, I recognize such labels as merely invective - ad hominems which are not meant to be taken seriously. Others might not be inclined to spread it on so thick. And all that birther nonsense - that was just Obama's enemies saying stuff to make Obama look bad. It's just a political tactic, just as we're seeing now.

If you want to talk about "delusional idiots," then the public is faced with having to choose between opposing groups of "delusional idiots." This is our political system, for better or worse. I don't believe either side.

Somehow, I get the sense that it's somewhat bothersome to some people that I choose not to believe that one side is a bunch of noble Jedi Knights while the other side is made up of evil Sith Lords. I don't believe in fairy tales. I could say that those who take such a lopsidedly partisan stance are suffering from "delusions" of a different sort, but I understand how the game is played. ;)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
And all that birther nonsense - that was just Obama's enemies saying stuff to make Obama look bad. It's just a political tactic, just as we're seeing now.
I don't think it is the same at all.
Trump really did lie about his tax returns. He really did promise healthcare reform. He really did accuse Obama of wiretapping Trump Towers. He really did appoint Flynn to the top security post after Flynn lied about his Russian connections. He really did fire Comey on a flimsy pretext, because he didn't want to be investigated. Etc. Etc.
That is not at all like the birther crap that Trump himself promoted all the way to last fall.
Tom

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think it is the same at all.
Trump really did lie about his tax returns. He really did promise healthcare reform. He really did accuse Obama of wiretapping Trump Towers. He really did appoint Flynn to the top security post after Flynn lied about his Russian connections. He really did fire Comey on a flimsy pretext, because he didn't want to be investigated. Etc. Etc.
That is not at all like the birther crap that Trump himself promoted all the way to last fall.
Tom

Still, it's all a matter of perspective and what one chooses to believe. But beyond that, it's also a matter of how important or significant something is - even if all parties believe it to be true.

As you may have already guessed, I have a rather cynical view of politics and politicians. When I see so many politicians and pundits piling on as they're doing, it seems...fishy.

And honestly, they've been investigating this for months. Seriously, how long does it really need to take before they find something substantial to bring an indictment? Sooner or later, they're going to have to put their cards on the table.