• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“I just choose to not listen”: why Trump supporters are tuning out the scandals

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
It made sense that Obama wasn't as "business friendly" as Trump. He couldn't afford to be. Unethical, irresponsible business practices led to the 2008 recession. Obama had to clean up that mess, caused mostly by a lack of proper regulation. Hopefully Trump's actions won't lead to another catastrophe.
Even if Obama was anti-business, the same markers (highest stock market, lowest unemployment) they are using to paint Trump as pro-business were also true under Obama.

tytlyf

Not Religious
"Business Friendly." What does that even mean? Friendly like putting corporations ahead of the middle class?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Ah, OK, so let's do this on a day-to-day basis: if the stocks go up, we all yell "Yah, Trump!"; and if they go down, we all yell "Boo, Trump!". Of course, we'll ignore all other factors that could be involved by pretending that everything is just because of the Donald. Surely this is sound economics, right? [no offense, Surely]

Nous

Premium Member
Actually, a lot of people are listening:

The Washington Post reports, "Approaching six months in office, [President Donald] Trump's overall approval rating has dropped to 36 percent from 42 percent in April. His disapproval rating has risen five points to 58 percent. Overall, 48 percent say they 'disapprove strongly' of Trump's performance in office, a level never reached by former presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama and reached only in the second term of George W. Bush in Post-ABC polling."
Trump is failing faster than any president

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Actually, a lot of people are listening:

The Washington Post reports, "Approaching six months in office, [President Donald] Trump's overall approval rating has dropped to 36 percent from 42 percent in April. His disapproval rating has risen five points to 58 percent. Overall, 48 percent say they 'disapprove strongly' of Trump's performance in office, a level never reached by former presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama and reached only in the second term of George W. Bush in Post-ABC polling."
Trump is failing faster than any president
In before someone says the polls are skewed/fake news because they disagree with their own narrative.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Then wouldn't it be inaccurate to credit him for economic success? If he did not have a direct role to play to what your a claiming, he is not responsible. None of this is part of the OP so this will be my last comment on this topic unless we want to make a separate thread.

Business relies a great deal on intuition. The Trump administration is very pro-business; the Obama administration was verifiably anti-business thus the growth in the Trump term. But if you are right then you need to bust chops on anyone else who claims the good economic news is attributed to Obama...just sayin'.

Quetzal

Premium Member
Business relies a great deal on intuition. The Trump administration is very pro-business; the Obama administration was verifiably anti-business thus the growth in the Trump term. But if you are right then you need to bust chops on anyone else who claims the good economic news is attributed to Obama...just sayin'.
I think if an administration pushes legislation or policies that promote internal business growth, it should be praised. I just don't think we have seen that from Trump, yet.

Nous

Premium Member
In before someone says the polls are skewed/fake news because they disagree with their own narrative.
Thank you. And even if the poll were unscientific/skewed, it's merely a comparison with the same poll taken for Obama, Bush and Clinton.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
“I just choose to not listen”: why Trump supporters are tuning out the scandals

An interesting discussion of "motivated ignorance" that has application to more than Trump supporters. Anti-vaxxers and climate change denialists, for instance.

Please discuss.

It could be that - or it might be a more a matter of some issues not having any real direct, noticeable effect on their personal lives. A lot of people take the view that "if it doesn't affect me personally, I don't care about it." I think this is true across the spectrum.

Of course, some might say that "motivated ignorance" is a malady affecting both sides, depending on what passes for "knowledge" and "enlightenment" in one's own political camp. Right-wingers could just as easily argue that they know what's really going on and could claim that the left-wingers are being "willfully ignorant." That's how the game is played.

Nous

Premium Member
Right-wingers could just as easily argue that they know what's really going on and could claim that the left-wingers are being "willfully ignorant."
They would claim that "left-wingers are being 'willfully ignorant'" of what?

Quetzal

Premium Member
I think if an administration pushes legislation or policies that promote internal business growth, it should be praised. I just don't think we have seen that from Trump, yet.
By the way, this goes both ways. If Obama enacted legislation against the interest of internal business growth, he deserves criticism.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I gotta hand it to ya. You are consistent.
Well, I think it's pretty obvious that's what's going on.

But that makes sense to me. For 8 years, 24/7 365, GOP media was calling the economy a trainwreck and serious problem. So the republican base believed it. Now that a republican is in office, GOP media changes the 'tone and delivery' of the message.

The audience knew things were horrible for 8 years, now their entertainers are telling them it's great. And here's proof! (with Obama, they didn't give proof. If they did, they'd have egg on their face)

The republican elitists are very good at what they do. I'll tell you one thing, they don't care about anyone else but themselves. Oh, and how to write laws to funnel more tax money into their pockets. Gotta love the MIC.

Considering that the media is known to constantly lie and exaggerate, it's a bit understandable that some would check out. Just think of the reporting on the Ferguson shooting as a good example.

For that matter, they ought to just criminalize lying in news reporting, and then start some large-scale prosecution.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They would claim that "left-wingers are being 'willfully ignorant'" of what?

Well, just as one example of many, the right-wing made a whole flap over Obama's birth certificate. Some on the right claimed that Obama was actually born in Kenya, not in the United States, and that left-wingers were being "willfully ignorant" of that fact. I'm not saying that they're right, but neither are the scandal-mongers of today. Both sides come up with scads of BS and claim that the other side is "willfully ignorant" of the "facts" they're putting forth.

It's just a tactic and should be recognized for what it is.

Nous

Premium Member
Well, just as one example of many, the right-wing made a whole flap over Obama's birth certificate. Some on the right claimed that Obama was actually born in Kenya, not in the United States, and that left-wingers were being "willfully ignorant" of that fact.
OK. I was expecting some charge within the realm of reality. It is true that there are lots of "rightwingers" who are psychotically delusional, and no doubt perceive the multiple Congressional investigations and the special counsel's criminal investigations into collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia as like their belief that Obama was born in Kenya. The unfortunate thing is that there isn't a pill than can cure such delusions.

I'm not saying that they're right, but neither are the scandal-mongers of today.
What "scandal-mongers" are you referring to? What are they "scandal-mongering" about?

You do recognize that Robert Mueller is conducting a very real criminal investigation, which, unless the Trump team is cleaner than all other administrations, will almost certainly result in indictments. Right?

Riders

More liberal sour grape BS. Heard just tonight that the stock market is up 17% and unemployment is the lowest its been in over 10 years since Trump took office. Doesn't sound like flailing to me.
And none of his bills are going through and even most Repuicans stand against him now. Trump and Trump supporters are eating sour grapes.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
OK. I was expecting some charge within the realm of reality. It is true that there are lots of "rightwingers" who are psychotically delusional, and no doubt perceive the multiple Congressional investigations and the special counsel's criminal investigations into collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia as like their belief that Obama was born in Kenya. The unfortunate thing is that there isn't a pill than can cure such delusions.

It's very easy for someone to make judgments. Talk is cheap. Who is to say what constitutes a "legitimate" investigation versus a "psychotically delusional" one? You? Or perhaps some pundit or talking head on television?

I reject any assertions from any political faction which purports to set itself up as the sole decider of who is "enlightened" and who is "delusional" or "ignorant."

What "scandal-mongers" are you referring to? What are they "scandal-mongering" about?

The scandals which were raised in the OP.

You do recognize that Robert Mueller is conducting a very real criminal investigation, which, unless the Trump team is cleaner than all other administrations, will almost certainly result in indictments. Right?

It's politics as usual, right?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I think you are right in that there has been a boost because of optimism in business brought about by Trump's promises. But, that could be short lived if Trump doesn't actually do what he has to to strengthen the economy. If it's real, that would be great. But, Trump can't take credit for optimism that might well be misplaced.