• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“I just choose to not listen”: why Trump supporters are tuning out the scandals

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They clearly aren't analogous. One was a completely made up conspiracy theory. The other has a bunch of evidence and various governmental agencies investigating it.

It's like saying that the "moon landing is a hoax" theory is analogous to the "Al-Qaida is responsible for 9/11" theory. There is clearly much more reason and valid evidence to believe one over the other.

Opinions are not all made equal. Some actually have facts, evidence, and rational arguments to back them up.

I understand the arguments being made, but I think it's best to look at the actual claim and the evidence used to support it. The problem in politics is that, very often, the people putting forth claims and/or rejecting said claims are already biased.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I understand the arguments being made, but I think it's best to look at the actual claim and the evidence used to support it. The problem in politics is that, very often, the people putting forth claims and/or rejecting said claims are already biased.
I recall people having so much certainty about Obama being a Kenyan Muslim.
They knew it was true, & were just waiting for proof.
Now people have so much certainty that Trump is colluding with Russia.
They know it's true, & are just waiting for proof.

The above are entirely different scenarios because.....well.....because it's obvious.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
False. It's idiotic and delusional to believe that the delusional and ignorant claims about Obama being born in Kenya are like the criminal investigations of Trump and his campaign.

Just because you say so, right? So, now you're setting yourself up as the word of God? Very fitting.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

As I recall, the only reason it came up as an issue at all was because of stonewalling and refusing to release the actual birth certificate. That they had to wait an inordinate amount of time for proof that he was born in the United States was what fed the rumors that he wasn't born in the US. That's what made it a bigger issue than it should have been. They finally released the birth certificate and settled the issue, but until then, the matter was still in doubt. In any case, it certainly isn't "delusional" to speculate on something where no clear evidence has been produced either way.

Now people have so much certainty that Trump is colluding with Russia.
They know it's true, & are just waiting for proof.

And that's all we're waiting for. Again, another example of more stonewalling and refusing to release information to the public.

The above are entirely different scenarios because.....well.....because it's obvious.

Maybe it's because I don't generally watch cable news channels.

tytlyf

Not Religious

Propaganda is powerful. Even when evidence was presented people still believed he was from Kenya.

A good example of saturation/repetition propaganda. Or even a big lie. Conservative entertainment is responsible

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As I recall, the only reason it came up as an issue at all was because of stonewalling and refusing to release the actual birth certificate. That they had to wait an inordinate amount of time for proof that he was born in the United States was what fed the rumors that he wasn't born in the US. That's what made it a bigger issue than it should have been. They finally released the birth certificate and settled the issue, but until then, the matter was still in doubt. In any case, it certainly isn't "delusional" to speculate on something where no clear evidence has been produced either way.
It was exacerbated with Obama's slip of the tongue when he referred to his "Muslim faith".
Maybe it's because I don't generally watch cable news channels.
Good policy.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No, because it's a fact.

No, it's not. You appear quite obsessed with wanting me and others to believe your invective. A less opinionated response would be something along the lines of "I believe they were mistaken" or "It doesn't seem likely." But you've obviously convinced yourself that your own opinions are fact that you're harping on it over and over, trying to convince others of this - even when it doesn't even have anything to do with the discussion whatsoever. This is rather ironic, considering that you're calling others "delusional." You're obsessed over labels and wanting them to stick, rather than anything factual at all. Your attitude is not healthy and demonstrates that you are incapable of a reasonable discussion.

Haven't you noticed this? Or are you so impressed with your own ad hominems that you think they're sooooooo important to keep on and on with?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, it is a fact that the delusional and ignorant claims about Obama being born in Kenya are not at all analogous to the criminal investigations of Trump and his campaign.

Maybe you don't understand what the word "fact" means. Most people learn the difference between "fact" and "opinion" in elementary school, but maybe you never got that far.

Nous

Premium Member
Maybe you don't understand what the word "fact" means.
This is what I mean by fact: the definition of fact
1. something that actually exists; reality; truth:
Your fears have no basis in fact.
2. something known to exist or to have happened:
Space travel is now a fact.
3. a truth known by actual experience or observation; something knownto be true:
Scientists gather facts about plant growth.

That's what I mean by "fact" in this sentence: It is a fact that the delusional and ignorant claims about Obama being born in Kenya are not at all analogous to the criminal investigations of Trump and his campaign.