• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You're a WHAT!?!

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
I am confused...isn't that a bit like living in sin? Acting like you're married but not actually committing to the other party? What is the point of believing what Jews believe if you don't convert? What does God think about that?
Living in sin? How is it living in sin? You don't have to convert to Judaism to be right with God. A person who converts is someone who feels such a deep attachment to Judaism and the Jewish people that they cannot help but to become Jewish. For many Noahides, however, they don't feel that spiritual connection to the Jewish people and therefore see no need to convert. God doesn't require conversion because there are laws that Noahides can follow to be righteous. A Noahide who keeps the Noahide commandments has righteousness like that of the High Priest. The Jews are the nation of priests. What good is a priest without a congregation? The Jews are the Light to the nations. Us nations don't need to become Jews to be right in God's eyes.

Most Noahides believe what Jews believe because they believe that Judaism is true. What does God think about it? I wouldn't be so arrogant to assume that I know what God thinks about something.

That is exactly what the majority of the first century Jews thought. He wasn't their political Messiah so he couldn't be the right one. What if the Kingdom wasn't earthly? What if the solutions he offered were spiritual? What if it was a heavenly kingdom but its rulership was over the earth at a future time?
What if he was really the boogie monster. I'm not concerned with what ifs. The fact is that there isn't anything in the Tanach about the Messiah setting up a spiritual kingdom (God already as a spiritual kingdom). There is nothing in the Tanach that says that Moshiach will establish a heavenly kingdom by dying and raising from the dead. It says (very clearly and in many places) that Moshiach will bring world peace. Jesus didn't do that and thus is not the Messiah.

On the contrary, Jesus fulfilled all the prophesies ever written about him. Most of them were things over which he had no control.
How about these prophesies?.....
I'm not going to go through all of them because I've seen them before. Let's assume that all these passages are talking about the Messiah.

Gen. 49:10 Born of the tribe of Judah
Jesus was not the only person who was born of the tribe of Judah. In fact, according to the NT he had brothers and sisters who would also have been born of the tribe of Judah.

Ps. 132:11; From the family of
Isa. 9:7; David the son of Jesse
11:1, 10
Again,many people came after David who descendants of David. Jesus wasn't the only one.
Mic. 5:2 Born in Bethlehem
Again, not something that is specific to Jesus alone, but many people have been born in Bethlehem.

Isa. 7:14 Born of a virgin
This is in no way verifiable, and the verse doesn't say virging, but young woman. Not only that, but any one with reading comprehension skills could read Isaiah chapter 7 and see that this verse isn't a messianic prophesy.

Jer. 31:15 Babies killed after his birth
Babies were killed after plenty of people's births.

Hos. 11:1 Called out of Egypt
Hosea 11:1 "When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and out of Egypt I called My son. "
Is that a prophesy about Jesus?

Mal. 3:1; 4:5; Way prepared beforehand by one like Elijah.
Really? Who was this one like Elijah? It wasn't John the baptist.

John 1:21 "They asked him, "Then who are you? Are you Elijah?"
He said, "I am not."

Isa. 61:1, 2 Commissioned by God.
Yeah, plenty of people were commissioned by God, this doesn't make them Moshiach.

Ps. 78:2 Spoke with illustrations
I speak with Illustrations all the time.

Isa. 53:4 Carried our sicknesses
He carried people's sicknesses? When did he do that? Do you mean he healed people? Doctors do that all the time.

Ps. 69:9 Zealous for Yahweh’s house
I'm zealous for God too and I'm not the Messiah.

Isa. 53:1 Not believed in.
Plenty of people weren't believed in during that time period.

Isa. 28:16; Rejected, but becomes chief cornerstone
Isa. 8:14, 15 Becomes stone of stumbling
Jesus never become a rock...so I'm not exactly sure how you explain this one.

Ps. 41:9; 109:8 One apostle unfaithful; betrays him
I've been betrayed too, does that make me the Messiah?

Zech. 11:12 Betrayed for 30 pieces of silver
I've been betrayed for money before too....

Zech. 13:7 Disciples scatter
And?

Ps. 2:1, 2 Roman powers and leaders of Israel
act together against anointed of Yahweh
Jesus was never anointed...

These were all fulfilled in Jesus. How can you say he did not fulfill prophesy?
Maybe you should read my above responses. My point is that none of these "prophesies" are specific to Jesus. In fact, for almost all of them I'm sure you could find hundreds of counterexamples of people who also did the same thing. Even if these prophesies are messianic, they're not important. The important prophesies are the ones where the Messiah actually does something. Like creating world peace (Isaiah 2:4), rebuilding the temple (Ezekiel 27:15-38), and bringing about universal knowledge of God (Isaiah 11:9).

What if the Messiah has come and you missed him?
God wouldn't punish me for not believing in someone whose theology blatantly contradicted His Torah.

Thanks for the nutshell NH. May I ask why you cannot write God? Is there a problem with that? I am curious as I see others do this and I would like to ask why? :shrug:
Jews and some Noahides don't write God out of respect for God's name. It comes from a Jewish law that states one should not destroy the name of God. It's not obligatory however (hence why I write God all the time).

Having been through hundreds of these debates myself I won't address anything directly but I will make an offer. I will go so far as to tell you that one place the christian view of the Moshiach fails is in what they consider to be messianic verses (Isaiah 7:14 is the one that personaly drives me crazy). When reading these verses that christianity claims to be messianic we have to look at the over-arching theme and aks ourselves, "Does this fit into Jewish thought and the Torah?". If it doesn't, then it's not a true perspective. Having done it myself, I know how hard it can be to empty my mind and learn about Judaism from the Jewish viewpoint and not the christian view point. But this is whatmust be done if you truely want to know about Judaism, or any other religion for that matter. If you were studying about Islam would you go ask christians about Islam? Of course not. You would go ask Muslims about Islam.

And in the end what we think of Judaism is irrelevant because we are not members of that religion. And weather you believe what I say is irrelevant as well. Why? Because you are a christian. You saw a need for self improvement in yourself and you sought G-d and His foregiveness and mercy. You improved yourself and sought to be a better person. IMHO you don't have to change. You are fine as a good christian. Be the best christian you can be and keep studying and growing. Because you see in all of the Jewish Tanach where salvation and religion are concerned nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE does it state that there is only one way to Hashem and salvation. Yes, the Jews are bound to Judaism but the rest of humanity is bound to no one religion. think about it; if there were to be one single true religion, and that religion was the single way to Hashem and salvation, it would be written in huge letters all over the Torah and Tanach, yes? But it is not. Nowhere is it written that one day their would be one true path and religion.

Here's a link to Chabad's online Tanach. You can go through and look up all your scriptural references there and see some of the differences between the Jewish interpretation and the christian one. Check the box near the top that turns on Rashi's commentary also. Enjoy!

The Complete Tanach with Rashi - Classic Texts - Torah - Bible

:yes: Couldn't have said it better myself.

Clover

Taoist & Shintoist Farmer
I have had that same thing happen to me, when some of my really close friends start to talk about religion. One of them is Buddhist, one is pagan, and one is Atheist. We are some of the few kids who aren't Christians, of course, everyone thinks I am Christian, but that's cause I never informed them of my loss of 'faith'.

None of them knew anything about Taoism or Shinto, and I explained, and they just said "ok" and we went on our way.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
I have had that same thing happen to me, when some of my really close friends start to talk about religion. One of them is Buddhist, one is pagan, and one is Atheist. We are some of the few kids who aren't Christians, of course, everyone thinks I am Christian, but that's cause I never informed them of my loss of 'faith'.

None of them knew anything about Taoism or Shinto, and I explained, and they just said "ok" and we went on our way.

Yep. Your average American knows nothing about religions that aren't either Islam, Christianity, or maybe some Judaism. I am glad that most people are open to listen (at the very least).

Last edited:

Clover

Taoist & Shintoist Farmer
Yep. You're average American knows nothing about religions that aren't either Islam, Christianity, or maybe some Judaism. I am glad that most people are open to listen (at the very least).

:sarcasticExcuse me? I never said I didn't know about others. I know about Taoism, Shinto, Confucianism, Wicca, LaVeyan Satanism, Paganism, and a good deal about Greek Mythology.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
:sarcasticExcuse me? I never said I didn't know about others. I know about Taoism, Shinto, Confucianism, Wicca, LaVeyan Satanism, Paganism, and a good deal about Greek Mythology.

Sorry, grammar mistake. I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the average American...obviously you are not the average American. :D

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Technically we fall under the Orthodox Judaism framework, which is why I put "Chassidic (or Hasidic) Judaism" as my religion.

Shalom!

It's always good to see Noachides, may I say I'm always 110% in support of this movement, and see Noachides as my Co-religionists. In fact, even though I am a Jew, I am also a Noachide! That is to say my Jewish covenant is built upon the foundation of Noah's covenant. I would not have one, without the other.

However, I see perhaps some confusion in your choice of the label of 'Chassidic Judaism' as your religion label. Why not put Noachide there, proudly? Indeed, the label confused me until I came across this thread, quite by random. Yes, I undertand your allegiance to the Chassidic branch of Judaism for their noble and worthy support of the Noachide community, but IMHO the religion label should be the most accurate statement possible of your personal status. It's not good to label yourself in an ambiguous fashion, you know yourself that presenting yourself as a Jew is contray to G-ds laws. Your signature does a very adequate job in linking yourself to the Chasidic community. Please note that they are not the only ones who care about Noachides.

Take my own religion label for example: 'Judaism, Messianic'. I wanted everyone to see that I'm a Jew, and not any sort of Christian, despite my Messianic views. So maybe you can do something similar: 'Noachide, Chassidic'. Nu?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
TK you said "Most Noahides believe what Jews believe because they believe that Judaism is true. What does God think about it? I wouldn't be so arrogant to assume that I know what God thinks about something."

OK, I have had quite an education about Noahides. (how do you pronounce that BTW? Silent 'H' or not?)
Am I thick?...isn't the above statement saying 'I believe that Jews have the truth but I don't want to be Jewish...? Going through the motions of being married but not consummating the union? :eek: I still don't get it.
Your other statement is also very confusing. How can you practice a religion if you don't know what God 'thinks' about it? :confused: If I wasn't confident about how God feels about my worship, I wouldn't know what to believe, nor would I now where or with whom God wished me to worship. Either God has prescribed the way he wishes to be worshiped by his earthly children, or he hasn't and leaves it up to us.
Do you accept the Hebrew scriptures as the Word of God?
If so then Proverbs 14:12 may provide an answer. "There exists a way that is upright before a man, but the ways of death are the end of it afterward."
Or maybe Jeremiah 10:23-25, which says " I well know, O Yahweh, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step. Correct me, O Yahweh, however with judgment; not in your anger, that you may not reduce me to nothing. Pour out your rage upon the nations who have ignored you, and upon the families who have not called even upon your name."
Psalm 25:4, 5, "Make me know your own ways, O Yahweh;
Teach me your own paths. Make me walk in your truth and teach me,
For you are my God of salvation. In you I have hoped all day long".

It would seem from these passages as if God lets us know exactly what he thinks and what he expects from us. He provides correction and 'directs our steps'. It says he will pour out his rage on those who ignore him; those who do not call upon his name. :(

Trying to understand your perspective, but it's hard. :sorry1:

Deeje

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
TK you said "

Deeje

Actually its very simple. one has to try hard to not understand it.
I think TheKnight summed it well in saying he believes the Jews to be a nation of priests with their job among the nations, just as he has his individual role. Jews dont promote conversion, perhaps because every nation has its own part to play, and not everyone need to assimilate to the same culture or faith.

Btw, its not something I necessarily believe or agree with, but the logic is quite simple.

as for what I believe. yes the Jewish culture has a lot to take pride in, and has been a source for a religious and cultural background in the west (and the east), however I dont like to take it further from here and claim extra historical ideas and phenomenas. as a secular man of Jewish culture, im satisfied with the achievements of my nation without adhering to a religious belief in the status of being chosen for a special mission.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Actually its very simple. one has to try hard to not understand it.
I think TheKnight summed it well in saying he believes the Jews to be a nation of priests with their job among the nations, just as he has his individual role. Jews dont promote conversion, perhaps because every nation has its own part to play, and not everyone need to assimilate to the same culture or faith.

Coming from a Christian perspective it is hard for me to understand these statements. The Jewish nation was the exclusive 'property' of Yahweh, from the time they entered into a covenant with him at Mt Sinai, were they not? They were to remain separate from the gentile nations and were punished most severely on many occasions for their lack of faith and also for adopting foreign elements into their worship. Correct? When they were delivered from Egypt under Moses' leadership, a great crowd of non-Jews accompanied them. When the Law was given, anyone who wished to become a proselyte had to live as a Jew. A proselyte was responsible to obey all of the Law, and he was to be treated by natural Jews as a brother.(This is why I find the Noahides a little hard to understand. If there were proselytes back then, why do they not choose to become proselytes now?) Do all Jews accept Noahides as 'brothers'? Are the various sects within the Jewish religion accepted by one another?

When you say that "Jews don't promote conversion" do you mean modern day Jews?
Jesus said about the scribes and Pharisees of his day: “You traverse sea and dry land to make one proselyte,.....” (Mt 23:15.) So it would appear that Jewish converts were actively sought then....?

:sorry1: again, still trying to understand.

Deeje

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Coming from a Christian perspective it is hard for me to understand these statements.
Actually because you come from a Christian background it should be easier for you to understand them.

The Jewish nation was the exclusive 'property' of Yahweh, from the time they entered into a covenant with him at Mt Sinai, were they not?
No I dont believe this is more than theological ideology.
They were to remain separate from the gentile nations and were punished most severely on many occasions for their lack of faith and also for adopting foreign elements into their worship. Correct?
To a certain extent. again, I dont believe in any divine punishments. however, there were religious reforms in ancient Judea to promote monotheism over polytheism.

When they were delivered from Egypt under Moses' leadership, a great crowd of non-Jews accompanied them. When the Law was given, anyone who wished to become a proselyte had to live as a Jew. A proselyte was responsible to obey all of the Law, and he was to be treated by natural Jews as a brother.(This is why I find the Noahides a little hard to understand. If there were proselytes back then, why do they not choose to become proselytes now?)
The (translated) term proselyte had a different meaning in the Hebrew bible and in the new testament. maybe this will shed some light (taken from wikipedia):
There are two kinds of proselyte:
Ger tzedek (righteous proselytes, proselytes of righteousness, religious proselyte, devout proselyte)
Ger toshav (resident proselyte, proselytes of the gate, limited proselyte, half-proselyte)

A righteous proselyte[5] was a Gentile who had converted to Judaism, was bound to all the doctrines and precepts of the Jewish economy, and was considered a full member of the Jewish people. They were to be circumcised and immersed in a mikvah should they wish to eat of the Passover sacrifice. A gate proselyte[6] was a "resident alien" who lived in the Land of Israel and followed some of the customs. They were not required to be circumcised nor to comply with the whole of the Torah. They were bound only to conform to the so-called seven precepts of Noah, the Noahide Laws: do not worship idols, do not blaspheme God's name, do not murder, do not commit immoral sexual acts, do not steal, do not tear the limb from a living animal, and do not fail to establish courts of justice. Besides these laws, however, they were also required to abstain from work on the Sabbath, and to refrain from the use of leavened bread during the time of the Passover.

Do all Jews accept Noahides as 'brothers'? Are the various sects within the Jewish religion accepted by one another?
Personally my experience with Noahides is summed with our two fellow members on RF. as for Jewish sects, inside Israel, the debate of religious legitimacy is mostly between reforms and the orthodox.

When you say that "Jews don't promote conversion" do you mean modern day Jews?
Jews have not been converting others for a long time. given that cases of conversion did happen in the course of history.

Jesus said about the scribes and Pharisees of his day: “You traverse sea and dry land to make one proselyte,.....” (Mt 23:15.) So it would appear that Jewish converts were actively sought then....?
Jews do not convert other people to Judaism, today. and the consensus is that they have not been great on prostelyzation after 70 AD or before.

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Thank you Caladan for that very comprehensive post. I am always curious about the belief systems of others. I have a better understanding now.

I am however amused by the Wikipedia definition "limited proselyte, half-proselyte", considering the Law stated that God's people had to love their God 'with their whole heart, soul, mind and strength'. How does one worship half-heartedly and find acceptance with God I wonder? :confused:

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Hmm. I never thought that's what Noahide was. I though Noahides would have lived the Law given to Noah not the one given through Moses.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
So maybe you can do something similar: 'Noachide, Chassidic'. Nu?

I thought about that when I first set the religion when I joined here. The reason I put Chassidic Judaism as opposed to Chassidic Noahide is because 1. Not many people know what a Noahide is, and 2. Many people have misconceptions about Judaism that I feel should be combatted at any given chance.

Many people see Judaism as being exclusively Jewish. That being said, I think it would be more then appropriate for a Noahide to say that they believe in Chassidic Judaism. It will usually generate questioning on behalf of the casual observer and discussion is the best way to rid the world of misconception.

OK, I have had quite an education about Noahides. (how do you pronounce that BTW? Silent 'H' or not?)
In Hebrew it's pronounced Noakhides with the gutteral kh sound (like the ch in loch ness monster.) The anglicized version of the word is Noahide (it can be silent or pronounced).

Am I thick?...isn't the above statement saying 'I believe that Jews have the truth but I don't want to be Jewish...?
Yes. It's like saying "The Jews have the truth, but I don't want to be Jewish". What you forget is that the truth I believe the Jews have doesn't require that I convert to be inline with that truth.

Your other statement is also very confusing. How can you practice a religion if you don't know what God 'thinks' about it? :confused: If I wasn't confident about how God feels about my worship, I wouldn't know what to believe, nor would I now where or with whom God wished me to worship. Either God has prescribed the way he wishes to be worshiped by his earthly children, or he hasn't and leaves it up to us.
I believe that God revealed the Torah to the Jews. However, I am not arrogant enough to assume that I know this. To say I know anything for sure would be a great step in the path of arrogance. I prefer to say that I reasonably believe in Judaism, but don't necessarily know 100% that it is true.

Deeje
Hmm, experience tells me that you're trying to change my mind. But don't worry. I welcome it! :D

I do believe that the Torah outlines what God wants from us as a humanity. I do not however presume to know how God thinks or why He tells us to do certain things.

If there were proselytes back then, why do they not choose to become proselytes now?
It is up to each individual whether or not to become a full on convert. One does not have to become one.

How does one worship half-heartedly and find acceptance with God I wonder? :confused:
You misunderstand. It's not worshiping half-heartedly. Wikipedia's use of the word half-proselyte is probably due to the limited nature of descriptiveness that the English language has when it comes to concepts.

Look at it this way. The Torah was given to the Jews. It was given to the Jews because they are to be the priests of this congregation that we call planet Earth. The Torah contains laws for priests (ie laws for the Jews) and laws for the congregants (the rest of humanity). We all abide by these laws. The Torah has a method (known as a Halakhic conversion) through which your average congregant could become a priest. However, it is not required that all the congregants become priests. After all, if every congregant was a priest then what purpose would the priests have?

Hmm. I never thought that's what Noahide was. I though Noahides would have lived the Law given to Noah not the one given through Moses.
You are not the first to have that line of thinking. I think we should try to find a better name for what we are called simply because Bnei Noah (children of Noah) or Noachide sounds too Noah-focused. I like the term Heaven-fearer (that which Noahides were called in the Talmud and (so I believe) in the Bible). But, it is what it is.

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
You are not the first to have that line of thinking. I think we should try to find a better name for what we are called simply because Bnei Noah (children of Noah) or Noachide sounds too Noah-focused. I like the term Heaven-fearer (that which Noahides were called in the Talmud and (so I believe) in the Bible). But, it is what it is.

I personally refer to myself as a Torah observant Gentile. Makes the obligatory explanation much easier. Most unknowing people look at us like a cult anyhow not knowing it's older than Judaism itself. I like to keep the explanation as simple and unscary as possible.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
I personally refer to myself as a Torah observant Gentile. Makes the obligatory explanation much easier. Most unknowing people look at us like a cult anyhow not knowing it's older than Judaism itself. I like to keep the explanation as simple and unscary as possible.

Haha. That's true. I usually say "I believe what the Jews believe, but I'm not a Jew."

A lot of people do see us as a cult...it's sad really. Lol

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
I thought about that when I first set the religion when I joined here. The reason I put Chassidic Judaism as opposed to Chassidic Noahide is because 1. Not many people know what a Noahide is, and 2. Many people have misconceptions about Judaism that I feel should be combatted at any given chance.

Many people see Judaism as being exclusively Jewish. That being said, I think it would be more then appropriate for a Noahide to say that they believe in Chassidic Judaism. It will usually generate questioning on behalf of the casual observer and discussion is the best way to rid the world of misconception...

Fair enough, but how do you prevent the casual observer from glancing at your religion label, seeing 'Chassidic Judaism' and just assuming you're a Jew? Which would be the most common understanding of a label? AFAIK no other religion has this dual membership, so it's quite out of the normal mindset for most people here, I'd imagine.

Haha. That's true. I usually say "I believe what the Jews believe, but I'm not a Jew."

A lot of people do see us as a cult...it's sad really. Lol

I have heard even worse... some like to accuse the Jews of 'inventing' the whole Noachide movement to subjugate the Gentiles... ridiculous as that sounds. There's too many anti-semites around, I worry that a Noachide movement too dependent on us inherits our enemies by default. The ideal situation would be an independent Noachide movement with it's own sages, teachers, and judges. Sure Judaism holds the Noachide Laws, but we don't OWN them, if you get my meaning. They belong to everyone, we are only the caretakers, preserving the laws on behalf of mankind. A proper 'Court of Noachide Law' as per the 7th law who is qualified to accept responsibility for the laws would be more acceptable to Gentiles than the laws coming from the Jews, who let's face it, aren't respected or honored in the world. Not that I'm saying the Jews should separate themselves from the Noachide Law, no indeed I personally consider myself both fully Noachide and Jewish. The two are not in conflict and Jewish law is just a more detailed and stricter version tailored for the Priestly duties. I'd hope that most Jews feel the same, but I can't speak for all.

Last edited:

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Fair enough, but how do you prevent the casual observer from glancing at your religion label, seeing 'Chassidic Judaism' and just assuming you're a Jew? Which would be the most common understanding of a label? AFAIK no other religion has this dual membership, so it's quite out of the normal mindset for most people here, I'd imagine.
That's fine. Let the casual observer assume what he will. It's not my job to ensure that the casual observer will be able to understand me in his/her laziness.

I have heard even worse... some like to accuse the Jews of 'inventing' the whole Noachide movement to subjugate the Gentiles... ridiculous as that sounds. There's too many anti-semites around, I worry that a Noachide movement too dependent on us inherits our enemies by default. The ideal situation would be an independent Noachide movement with it's own sages, teachers, and judges. Sure Judaism holds the Noachide Laws, but we don't OWN them, if you get my meaning. They belong to everyone, we are only the caretakers, preserving the laws on behalf of mankind. A proper 'Court of Noachide Law' as per the 7th law who is qualified to accept responsibility for the laws would be more acceptable to Gentiles than the laws coming from the Jews, who let's face it, aren't respected or honored in the world. Not that I'm saying the Jews should separate themselves from the Noachide Law, no indeed I personally consider myself both fully Noachide and Jewish. The two are not in conflict and Jewish law is just a more detailed and stricter version tailored for the Priestly duties. I'd hope that most Jews feel the same, but I can't speak for all.

I agree. I do believe that Noahides should have their own structure and what not when it comes to our laws, but this is extremely difficult due to the lack of willingness of other people to even believe in the validity of the Noahide laws. I think the American Supreme Court and the American government itself has done a very good job in that it almost enforces ALL of the Noahide laws. I do believe, however, that in any case where we are unsure how to handle a Noahide law, it should be done in a way similar to that of the Jewish version of that particular law. It's good that all the Noahide laws have Jewish law counterparts because we can see how the Jewish sages handled and learn to adopt our own way of handling it similarly.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
That's fine. Let the casual observer assume what he will. It's not my job to ensure that the casual observer will be able to understand me in his/her laziness.

All I can say is. If you find yourself in discussion of Halacha, (likely in RF) and you state positions based on Noachide understanding of said laws, you probably should declare that the interpretations are Noachide and not Jewish, or possibly through no fault of your own but simply the uncertainty of that casual observer your interpretation of Noachide Halacha is mistaken for Jewish Halacha. Say about a topic like Shabbat. If someone (who may also be too lazy to state their faith) is Jewish and follows your advice, thinking you're a fellow Jew, that may result in wrong Halacha leading someone astray. This is wordy, I know, but I hope you get the gist of what I mean.

I agree. I do believe that Noahides should have their own structure and what not when it comes to our laws, but this is extremely difficult due to the lack of willingness of other people to even believe in the validity of the Noahide laws. I think the American Supreme Court and the American government itself has done a very good job in that it almost enforces ALL of the Noahide laws. I do believe, however, that in any case where we are unsure how to handle a Noahide law, it should be done in a way similar to that of the Jewish version of that particular law. It's good that all the Noahide laws have Jewish law counterparts because we can see how the Jewish sages handled and learn to adopt our own way of handling it similarly.

There will be some things you may have to work out on your own, simply because you are able to do things Jews are not. For example, according to many authorities, Noachides are permitted (not required, but permitted) to raise a personal altar to G-d and offer the Korban Olah (totally consumed) sacrifice. Just as you were allowed when the Temple stood. We can't make any sacrifice, but you can go where we are forbidden. There are even more astounding things you can do, according to some.