• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your thoughts on dogs

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Here are my thoughts on dogs:

My dog Josie after Christmas dinner

My dog WhoDat after Christmas dinner! (and yes, he's on the sofa...and on my new pillows...)

TJ73

Very sweet. I think if I didn't have my dogs I would never know when someone came into my store. I'm in another room and I never hear someone coming in until they "tell" me.

fatima_bintu_islam

Here are my thoughts on dogs:

My dog Josie after Christmas dinner

My dog WhoDat after Christmas dinner! (and yes, he's on the sofa...and on my new pillows...)

OMG noooooooooooooooooooooooooo take them out of your sofaaaaaaaaaaaas, theyre dangerouuuuuuus!!!!!!

Is it what youre waiting for us to do? "and yes, he's on the sofa nanananana " , put your dogs where you want ,put them in your bedroom if you want ; the question is not directed to you so dont worry no one is going to persecute you for putting dogs on your sofas.

Each time after another I learn how much of a smart girl you are , thanks for sharing that.

Subhanallah

Kathryn

OMG noooooooooooooooooooooooooo take them out of your sofaaaaaaaaaaaas, theyre dangerouuuuuuus!!!!!!

Is it what youre waiting for us to do? "and yes, he's on the sofa nanananana " , put your dogs where you want ,put them in your bedroom if you want ; the question is not directed to you so dont worry no one is going to persecute you for putting dogs on your sofas.

Each time after another I learn how much of a smart girl you are , thanks for sharing that.

Subhanallah

Your English is a bit hard to decipher, so if I've misunderstood you, I apologize in advance.

But it does seem that you're being pretty sarcastic in your response.

Look, I didn't give any advice, and I wasn't trying to elicit any sort of response from anyone - other than maybe a "Awww, cute dogs" from some fellow dog lovers.

I wouldn't offer any advice because this question is directed at Muslims. I get that. However, my understanding of forum rules is that other of other faiths can interact on a thread as long as it's in a respectful manner.

Now - I could be wrong, but I don't think my post was disrespectful in any way. The OP was written by a Muslim who is definitely a dog lover, so I thought she might enjoy the pictures of my dogs.

That's it. So lighten up.

TJ73

Sis, don't be angry. I always go to threads posted from active topics and almost never look where they originated from. May be she didn't know I posted this to ask other Muslims. I did not see her as taunting. My customers would say something like that all the time. "like, yeah I know he's on my new sofa, but what am I gonna do, that's fluffy" Getting upset will not make it not a taunt if that was the intention and we should guard ourselves from anger.
Assalmualaikum

Kathryn

Sis, don't be angry. I always go to threads posted from active topics and almost never look where they originated from. May be she didn't know I posted this to ask other Muslims. I did not see her as taunting. My customers would say something like that all the time. "like, yeah I know he's on my new sofa, but what am I gonna do, that's fluffy" Getting upset will not make it not a taunt if that was the intention and we should guard ourselves from anger.
Assalmualaikum

Thank you, and no, I was not taunting in any way. Wow, that response from fatima really threw me! All I was doing was posting cute pictures of cute dogs because I figured you'd enjoy them.

I really liked the post about dogs sharing caves with believers, and them being a blessing to the believers. I think that's fascinating and it was an interesting perspective.

By the way, our dogs DO sleep in our bedroom - on their dog beds though, not on our bed! We do not allow them in the bed. But we do let them climb up in our laps sometimes, which is ridiculous because they weigh about 50 pounds each!

I love animals and I know you do too. They are our little brothers and sisters in this world, in my opinion, and as St Francis of Assisi said, "They serve God better in their place than we do in ours."

fatima_bintu_islam

Thank you, and no, I was not taunting in any way. Wow, that response from fatima really threw me! All I was doing was posting cute pictures of cute dogs because I figured you'd enjoy them.

."

How sweet , I have to be honest with you your sweetness is stunning seriously:

(and yes, he's on the sofa...AND on my new pillows...)

Im so sorry , maybe youre right: maybe you were just trying to tell us that your dogs are on the sofa after all , cuz maybe I wont have noticed it (I put glasses you know, so I may have vision troubles)

Im so sorry about my misunderstanding , really

As for your remark on my english , if you have troubles with mine than I dont have any troubles thanks God with yours, and I completely understand your english when you speak about Islamc rulings all over the forums.

So...

And no, Im not angry TJ and I never speak to people this way but this one is different

Kathryn

How sweet , I have to be honest with you your sweetness is stunning seriously:

Im so sorry , maybe youre right: maybe you were just trying to tell us that your dogs are on the sofa after all , cuz maybe I wont have noticed it (I put glasses you know, so I may have vision troubles)

Im so sorry about my misunderstanding , really

So...

And no, Im not angry TJ and I never speak to people this way but this one is different

Good GRIEF - what IS your problem?

Maybe you're simply very young - sorry, but I haven't gone to your profile to see if that's the case. I hope it is - that would make your response more understandable.

My remark about the the dog being on the sofa was meant tongue in cheek - in other words, I KNOW I probably shouldn't allow my dogs to get on my sofa, but I do it anyway. It's not RIGHT - but I do it - and I was making fun of myself, no one else, when I pointed that out. Surely you don't think I didn't realize that a reader could TELL the dog was on the sofa. It was an attempt at humor - nothing else. You're reading WAY too much into my comments.

As for your remark on my english , if you have troubles with mine than I dont have any troubles thanks God with yours, and I completely understand your english when you speak about Islamc rulings all over the forums.

Several points:

1. I wasn't making fun of your English. I am always impressed when someone is bilingual, and I wish I was. However, since English is obviously not your first language, I mentioned that I might have misunderstood the intent of your first post, and I was apologizing in advance if I had mistaken your post as sarcastic, when it really wasn't. However, I see that I wasn't mistaken - you are making a series of extremely sarcastic remarks. Pity, really - it keeps us from having any truly intelligent or meaningful interaction.

2. It's obvious to me that you ARE having a problem understanding my remarks. You either don't catch the finer meanings of the English language, or you're overreactive and perhaps paranoid.

3. I do not "speak about Islamic rulings all over the forums." For one thing, this is the only forum I am even a part of. Secondly, I am not any sort of expert on, or that familiar with, Islamic rulings - whatever you mean by that phrase.

The only issue I have with any Muslims is with radical and/or violent Muslims. Interestingly enough, I have the same issues with radical and/or violent Christians, or atheists. I don't care for extremist fundamentalists in general.

I have never, not ONCE, here or in "real life," spoken negatively about moderate, peaceful Muslims. You know why? Because I respect and appreciate them. I will and do speak out against any regime, Islamic or otherwise, which supports and encourages violence, terrorism, and the abuse of human rights.

If you don't - then you're right - we ARE different.

Sahar

Ladies, non Muslims are only allowed to ask respectful questions and no debate is allowed here.

Kathryn said:
I am always impressed when someone is bilingual
Actually, she is trilingual. :)

Kathryn

Ladies, non Muslims are only allowed to ask respectful questions and no debate is allowed here.

:)

Sorry. I just got pretty ticked off because I was simply being friendly toward the author of the OP - which I've noticed and appreciated on other threads as well - and got lambasted for it.

Then AFTER trying to explain myself - out of courtesy due to the fact that this thread is in the Islamic section - she CONTINUED to chew me out.

I give up. I won't waste any more of my time trying to convince her that this Christian girl is simply extending an olive branch.

Sahar

Your first post can be understood very well as challenging to the Islamic view "What, you can't have dogs as pets! OK, these are pictures of pet dogs", so I think this is why Fatima didn't like it especially what we see on the Forum is that your attitude towards Muslims is not nice.

Last edited:

fatima_bintu_islam

I won't waste any more of my time trying to convince her that this Christian girl is simply extending an olive branch.

I wont waste my time neither, but this last statement of yours hmmm it reminds me of someone I know ........

Aaaaaah

obama.php.jpeg

Kathryn

Your first post can be understood very well as challenging to the Islamic view "What, you can't have dogs as pets! OK, these are pictures of pet dogs", so I think this is why Fatima didn't like it .

Wow. That is really reading something unintentional into my post. The OP is a VETERINARIAN and a Muslim. She treats pet dogs for a living, and owns dogs. I had no IDEA that it's against Islamic law or edict to own dogs as pets. In fact, it seems like there's some disagreement on this.

I certainly had no idea that pictures of pet dogs would offend anyone. And I am sorry if I offended anyone. This was absolutely not my intention.

Bismillah

Submit
Fatima:

Sister I think you are ignoring the context of the post. If you would look at the posts prior they were discussing the merits of dogs and their own personal preference for them. It is my opinion that Kathryn posted those pictures for their enjoyment. These pictures never hinted at any disrespect at any Muslims because there are indeed some Muslims who do enjoy these animals as pets.

Also I think it is both unfair and diverging from the topic of the thread to accuse Kathryn of holding anything against Islam. While she may may not see eye to eye at times, she is always respectful and I have never seen her attack Muslims in general.

Inshallah we can get back to the topic at hand.

Kathryn

Thanks, Abibi.

I am an avid dog lover. I saw a thread about dogs so I jumped in and read it. As I read it, I found it fascinating, and it made me think about a lot of things. One thing that struck me was how similar the argument "for" dogs as pets has evolved, as times have changed. As a Christian, this strikes close to home, because we are often asked why we don't follow every edict of the New Testament to the early church, or the Old Testament law.

This dog thing seems to fall into the same category. It's good to see the arguments for or against it, because it gives me a fresh perpective on arguments that are within my own faith.

Example - I don't particularly like women pastors in the Christian church. I think an argument could be made from the ancient texts to exclude them from that role, though I've never gone that far in my opinion or practice.

But when I read Muslims saying that early teachings can be adapted to modern times, and I AGREE with that sentiment - wow, am I being hypocritical?

It makes me think. And I never would have even thought this all the way through if it wasn't for tapping into this dog thread on the Islam section of the forum.

And that's what I LOVE about this forum!

By the way, maybe I misinterpreted something in my above statements. I'm not a scholar of Islam (wow, can you believe it? :eek:). But that's not really my point - these are just my musings as I learn.

My point is that I truly appreciate the openness and tolerance of so many Muslims who are active on this forum, especially to this sometimes - bumbling Christian American woman. I know that it must take a lot of patience sometimes!

But I do enjoy reading your Islam threads, which I do regularly in order to try to understand more about your faith. Understanding generally leads to more respect, don't you think?

Thanks again to those of you who put up with me on a regular basis. I didn't mean to dominate this thread with my dog pictures, or my indignation when I felt misunderstood.

Please carry on!

fatima_bintu_islam

I have no problem at all with the pictures brother, why would I ? I see pets all over my town, evrywhere.

I already made my point clear and Im independent in it, I highly disliked the sarcastic comment AFTER the pictures, and Im still firm on my opinion that it was a childish comment something like: nana nanana I have dogs on my coach .

Im firm on it, and I would not let anyone make comments where they hide ANY form of sarcasm about Islam and its rulings, in the Islamic DIR. I know what Im talking about , and even if Kathryn tried to portray me as a young revolted lady , I have no problem with it since only what touched my religon angered me , but what touch my own person than I have no problem with it.

I hope my point was clear, and thank you everyone who tried to "calm me" among my brothers and sisters, but you may have understood now that it wasnt an anger for my own self, it was an anger against sarcasm on our Islamic teachings so I dont regret it and Im still convinced by my first opinion.

Wassalam alaykum

Kathryn

Fatima, even as a Christian, I know I shouldn't allow my dogs on my couch, and on my new pillows at that! I was making fun of myself and no one else with my little comment. I hate that there was such a misunderstanding about such a small comment.

Last edited: