• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your thoughts on dogs

TJ73

When I first took shahadah I was told by a sister about how I was dressed wrong and that I needed to get rid of my dogs and find a new line of work( I own a pet salon and pet boutique, so care for animals, mostly dogs all day long). She told me this was Sunnah. So I was, of course, very disturbed and hurt to hear this. So I asked an Imam and he concurred. Then I did some research and found most people agreed, but I don't see how it makes sense. Firstly because of "The Cave" To say angel's won't appraoch in the presence of dogs when any angel actively involved it's self with those in the cave including the dog appear to be contradictory. Also I investigated the sunnah and number one, I thought if hadith doesn't match with or goes against what is in Quran it can not be treated as credible and number 2 the quality of the one reporting it must be taken into account and I read that the one reporting about dogs was know to have written questionable hadith that maligned women and dogs too.
I have read so much about the reward for showing kindness to animals and it makes me good at what I do since I often work with difficult and sometimes dangerous animals for their benefit. I am eager to hear from anyone that has supporting or opposing views. The whole idea still bothers me.

xkatz

(Although this is Islam DIR... Sorry :eek: )

I am curious too, I love dogs (a lot). In fact, I am considering doing a pre-vet program at my future college. The attitude towards dogs in Islam is one of the main reasons I won't look further into Islam.

However, I have been thinking about dogs being considered unclean in the Quran. My reasoning dogs WERE considered unclean IMO is because were no cure/treatments for parasites (ie worms) and other health conditions (ie rabies) in those times; so if you kept a dog, you risked your health. That said, it's illogical and unfair to consider dogs unclean nowadays (since we now can vaccinate dogs) and if Muslims were willing to change their attitude towards dogs, I would look more seriously into Islam.

Just my 2¢.

TJ73

no apology needed. I don't discriminate,lol. Veterinary medicine is an excellent field. It is so much more than just family pets and there are amazing things happening in vetmed that are changing human medicine as well.
I wouldn't , and haven't let anything I have heard from anyone else keep me from Islam because if I did I probably wouldn't be Muslim. I am far from perfect but I try to be a good person and practice my faith as well as I can. I take heart to the fact that God tells us over and over again that He is the most merciful and often forgiving. I know how forgiving I can be and I am sure He is more forgiving than I, so in that I have hope.
I know of some Muslim vets. They have a website, but I can't remember it. But I for sure have never met or heard of another Muslim groomer.

fatima_bintu_islam

( TJ I wrote you a looooong reply but Allahul Musta'ane my browser crushed Inshallah tomorrow Ill reply to your message).

@xkatz:
Dogs shouldnt be kept unless its for hunting or surveying the house and other things.

As for how we see dogs, than heres how :

Narated By Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "While a man was walking on a road. he became very thirsty. Then he came across a well, got down into it, drank (of its water) and then came out. Meanwhile he saw a dog panting and licking mud because of excessive thirst. The man said to himself "This dog is suffering from the same state of thirst as I did." So he went down the well (again) and filled his shoe (with water) and held it in his mouth and watered the dog. Allah thanked him for that deed and forgave him." The people asked, "O Allah's Apostle! Is there a reward for us in serving the animals?" He said, "(Yes) There is a reward for serving any animate (living being)." – [Bukhari Vol. 8, Book 73, #38] & [Muslim Book 26, Chapter 39, # 5577]

Narated By Anas bin Malik: The Prophet said, "If any Muslim plants any plant and a human being or an animal eats of it, he will be rewarded as if he had given that much in charity." – [Bukhari Vol. 8, Book 73, #41]

There are people who claim that Prophet Muhammad(saw) ordered the killing of all dogs. If one were to read the references they give it is indeed true that such an order was given. However these people will never quote the hadith which explains why such an order was given.

Ibn Mughaffal reported: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) ordered the killing of dogs and then said: what is the trouble with them (the people of Medina)? How dogs are nuisance to them (the citizens of Medina)? He then permitted keeping of dogs for hunting and (the protection of) herds. In the hadith transmitted on the authority of Yahya, he (the Holy Prophet) permitted the keeping of dogs for (the protection of) herds, for hunting and (the protection of) cultivated land. – [Muslim Book 10, Chapter 31, #3814]

When one reads this hadith one gets to learn about the context of the order. The people of Medina complained that the dogs were being a nuisance to them. This is just like today where many countries have problems with street dogs. There have been many cases where these street dogs have bitten people and transmitted diseases like Rabies. Many have even died from this disease. Due to the complains by the people regarding these stray dogs, Prophet Muhammad(saw) ordered that such dogs who are hazardous to the people should be killed. Back in those days there were not any animal shelter facilities and thus this was the only way to safeguard the people. The hadith further on explains that all dogs were not to be killed and the permission to keep dogs was also given.

Moreover, Prophet Muhammad(saw) also instructed men not to overburden their domestic animals. Burdening a donkey with more load than that which he can easily carry is again a wrongful practice which was forbidden by Allah(swt). Even while sacrificing the animals, it is told that we are to use sharp knives and not blunt ones for the latter would cause pain and discomfort to the animals. Some people have suggested that the Islamic method of slaughtering the animal is cruel and should be stopped. This however was proven to be untrue as the animal dies a painless death. A study was carried out at the School of Veterinary Medicine by Professor Wilhelm Schulze and Dr. Hazim to detect the pain an animal feels when he is slaughtered by the Islamic way. The EEG recorded showed that with the Islamic way, the animal felt no pain and it was observed that most of the blood was thrown out of the body thus making the meat more hygienic as opposed to the captive bolt pistol stunning method. The conventional method was also observed to be painful to the animal.

The earth has been made for all the creatures that inhabit it and thus they are given their due rights by Islam.

And the earth hath He appointed for (His) creatures. – [Quran 55:10]

Source

And Allah knows best

xkatz

FBI,
Thanks for your reply :) I see what you are saying, but I personally wouldn't see why keeping a dog that is vaccinated as an issue. I mean, obviously it is a bad idea (if not down-right dangerous) to keep a rabid dog, but why can't Muslims keep a dog that is vaccinated as a pet?

fatima_bintu_islam

Aha when you asked what are our views on dogs than I brought you the answer, but when the question changes to why do you do such and such than only one answer is to be given :

Submission :)

When I first took shahadah I was told by a sister about how I was dressed wrong and that I needed to get rid of my dogs and find a new line of work( I own a pet salon and pet boutique, so care for animals, mostly dogs all day long). She told me this was Sunnah. So I was, of course, very disturbed and hurt to hear this. So I asked an Imam and he concurred. Then I did some research and found most people agreed, but I don't see how it makes sense. Firstly because of "The Cave" To say angel's won't appraoch in the presence of dogs when any angel actively involved it's self with those in the cave including the dog appear to be contradictory. Also I investigated the sunnah and number one, I thought if hadith doesn't match with or goes against what is in Quran it can not be treated as credible and number 2 the quality of the one reporting it must be taken into account and I read that the one reporting about dogs was know to have written questionable hadith that maligned women and dogs too.
I have read so much about the reward for showing kindness to animals and it makes me good at what I do since I often work with difficult and sometimes dangerous animals for their benefit. I am eager to hear from anyone that has supporting or opposing views. The whole idea still bothers me.

Dear Sister

Just search a net for your answer , and found some links that might be helpful

Islam Question and Answer - Doing surgery on dogs
Islam Question and Answer - Keeping pets

You can also ask them a question if you want on links given. Inshahallah that will help you

Amica

Salaam--
I don't think Qur'an states that dogs are unclean. In fact, in the surah Cave, a dog is mentioned to have slept with the Companions for many years in the Cave. I think it is an honor for dog as an animal to be mentioned by the Almighty Allah SWT.

Dogs are great blessing for humans. Now days, they help disabled people move about (i.e. the blind), are used as therapy animals in hospitals to help sick people feel better while playing with them. They help military to snif out explosives and help police find things, including victims. And of course, the old job of dogs was to help people keep houses and live stock safer. If dog is unclean, then certainly his abilities to assist humans surpasses the "unclean" aspect of it.

I think that Muslims in the early times considered dogs unclean because of the inability to literally keep the animal clean. We all know that when one gives a dog bath, let him out and he will try to lie in dirt again :) Also, there were no treatments in the old times for dogs who get seriously sick and who become danger to people.

It is sad though that this awesome animal is not more domesticated in many countries. It saddens me to know that dogs have been killed on mass in many places of the world. And yet, these beautiful animals can help humans so much. But, like with many blessings that are bestowed upon us from Allah SWT, we humans tend not to see them and we often abuse that which is given to us to help us. :(

TJ73

Thanks Amica. I find it hard to think of any animal being condemned to abuse. And I find no evidence to support it anywhere.