• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite musical performers

Smoke

Done here.
Which performers do you enjoy the most? Not which ones do you think are technically the best, most significant, or anything like that. All pretension aside, whose music do you really enjoy listening to?

I like old-time country, blues, and gospel, and the Motown sound of the sixties and seventies. I like 1970s rock generally; probably most people like the music of their youth, and that's mine, although I really, really hate a number of songs from that era, too. I also like salsa, merengue, and some popular music of the Balkans, Greece, and India.

Looking down the Billboard Hot 100 for artists I like, I see Bruno Mars, Nelly, P!nk, Eminem, Tim McGraw, Kanye, Shakira, Kenny Chesney, Linkin Park, Eric Church, Trace Adkins, and Kings of Leon. There are probably others I might like if I knew who they were. :)

Renji

Adam lambert and the other American Idol contestants. And ofcourse, Michael Jackson.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Ofra Haza had the finest voice ever recorded, despite an unfortunate tendency to pollute it with disco. RIP.

Great Big Sea, Cowboy Mouth, and Trans-Siberian Orchestra/ Savatage are my favorite active bands.

When I'm feeling earthy, nothing beats Sweet Honey in the Rock. Well, maybe the giants of jazz. I'm currently grooving on Ella Fitzgerald, and love Nina Simone.

Mike Oldfield and Hans Zimmer are my favorite living composers. For classical, Beethoven and Brahms. Mozart is overrated, no passion.

I could ramble on......

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Which performers do you enjoy the most? Not which ones do you think are technically the best, most significant, or anything like that. All pretension aside, whose music do you really enjoy listening to?
I find it impossible to be unhappy when I listen to Earl Scruggs & Friends play Foggy Mountain Breakdown.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds is my absolute favourite, I have a weakness for the overwrought stylings of Camille O'Sullivan, Jack L, Imelda May, Damiel Rice, Tom Waits and Nina Simone.

I quite enjoy Goldie Looking Chain, and have an unexplainable liking for Dizzy Rascal and for purely ironic reasons I enjoy listening to the N-dubz and laughing :D

Dailymotion - N Dubz - Ouch - a Music video

''Her name's Shaniqwa and what?'' :biglaugh:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
While relaxing or doing housework anything Celtic really. Skyedance and Chieftains at the top of my list.

Rock and punk tunes mainly while working. Enjoy listening to performers like Ramones, AC/DC, and Lynyrd Skynyrd

Sleeptime performers include Book of Love, Iris Dement, Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend.

I have many favorites actually but those are the ones that came to mind first.

Smoke

Done here.
Classic Motown (including a very young Stevie Wonder):

[youtube]REqoO5FKZDw[/youtube]
YouTube - The Sound Of Motown

I thought the Supremes got better when Jean Terrell replaced Diana Ross:

[youtube]bNBd3-TOVFI[/youtube]

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Well, here's the place for it.

I love Beethoven, too. It's hard for me to see how anybody could not love Beethoven.

Yup, his Ninth Symphony is one of the greatest pieces of music in history.

I love Beethoven and Mozart. I like some other classical stuff, but mostly just random stuff.

U2 is my favorite band. If I did a list of my 50 favorite pieces of music, they'd probably own at least 15 of them.

I don't listen to a lot of new stuff, but I like Kings of Leon. Closer is such a wonderful song. I also like White Stripes a lot.

Other than that, I like some classic rock, like Led Zeppelin, the Who and AC/DC. But I also like some stuff most people can't stand, like Celine Dion and Evanescence.

And I love, love traditional Irish, Scottish and Celtic music.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Joseph Haydn is my fave as far as classical performers goes as well as that of his good bud Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
My problem with Celine Dion is the same as my problem with Streisand. Love the voice, hate the material.

I can understand that, and I don't blame you, although I'm not a big fan of Streisand's voice. I do think Dion's is amazing. I should be more accurate, though, in that I only listen to Dion's French stuff. I only own two of her albums, both French, but I love both of them.

Smoke

Done here.
Some old-time Gospel:

I always think this song should be sung a capella:
[youtube]E1LnTMtpzK8[/youtube]
YouTube - Where the Soul Never Dies

This is my favorite gospel song:
[youtube]MjPhz-Ec7yk[/youtube]
YouTube - Rough Side Of The Mountain

Sister Rosetta Tharpe scandalized the church people by singing blues as well as gospel.
[youtube]JeaBNAXfHfQ[/youtube]
YouTube - Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Up Above My Head

The Staples were singing a long time before "I Know a Place":
[youtube]_g4sDSpW9Uc[/youtube]
YouTube - Vintage STAPLES-Wade In The Water

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

I like old-time country, blues, and gospel, and the Motown sound of the sixties and seventies. I like 1970s rock generally; probably most people like the music of their youth, and that's mine, although I really, really hate a number of songs from that era, too. I also like salsa, merengue, and some popular music of the Balkans, Greece, and India.

Looking down the Billboard Hot 100 for artists I like, I see Bruno Mars, Nelly, P!nk, Eminem, Tim McGraw, Kanye, Shakira, Kenny Chesney, Linkin Park, Eric Church, Trace Adkins, and Kings of Leon. There are probably others I might like if I knew who they were. :)

My favourite is Johnny Cash. I love everything he did from the early stuff to the very last album.
I love the Clash, Christy Moore and Luke Kelly.
And if I'm in a certain humour nothing beats Black Sabbath.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I like the Pogues, too. Can you or monta explain to me why every Irishman I ever met hated them?
'fraid not. I love them too. I think they're brilliant. Of course my parents hated them so that probably helped :D. In terms of performance thought they're crap. We went to see them a few times and Shane McGowan was always ****** - couldn't get the words out. On CD though they're another story.

Are you familiar with Luke Kelly?
[youtube]Q2OivplOBq8[/youtube]
YouTube - Luke Kelly Joe Hill

I don't know if I'd go that far, but I love a great deal of it.

I love Chrisy Moore.

I like the Pogues, too. Can you or monta explain to me why every Irishman I ever met hated them?

Probably because they are the epitome of the plastic paddy propagating a dubious drug fueled re imagining of what being Irish is for mass consumption by ex patriots who have an outdated recollection of Ireland, drunks and people who want a shortcut to Irish music.

Also UG-LEEEEEEEE