• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

would you kill?

+Xausted

. what would it take, if anything, for you to kill? bearing in mind for all you religious folk it goes against your beliefs....but there must be something that would tip you over the edge, surely
self defense?
rape?
child protection?
anger?
etc?
or do you think there are never any reasons to take anothers life?
know this is a bit on the dark side, but am interested

silvermoon383

1. A kill or be killed situation.
2. If my family and/or those close to me would be killed.
3. If innocent lives would be killed and I have no other choice to prevent it.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress

Melancholy

異端者
Only where my life or the life of my children and family were in danger.

Never in anger, only in self defense and that can cover a multitude of actions.

+Xausted

any other reasons that i not mentioned?
i believe i could only kill when it was to prevent my childrens death. for no other reason

Melancholy

異端者
any other reasons that i not mentioned?
i believe i could only kill when it was to prevent my childrens death. for no other reason
I think the human species is proggrammed to survive and when faced with life or death situations then the survival instinct will in most cases kick start.

wednesday

Jesus
It wouldn't take much, i believe the world would be a much better place with 9/10 of the people that live in my city. To actually kill, probably revenge, anger, rape.... all of the above.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i would not kill someone in order to stop them doing anything. i would lay my life down before allowing them to do something like rape of kill someone else, and i would try my damn hardest to stop them, but i would not kill them. i would avoid being in certain positions of power which would allow me to kill someone, like carrying a weapon for instance. by virtue of carrying a weapon i am saying i am ready to kill someone, and that is not acceptable to me.

+Xausted

I think the human species is proggrammed to survive and when faced with life or death situations then the survival instinct will in most cases kick start.
been there, did not kick start for me!!!!said my goodbyes and fortuntly was saved. was amazingly peaceful and now no longer fear death...something i will be grateful for i am sure when my time does come.

Melancholy

異端者
been there, did not kick start for me!!!!said my goodbyes and fortuntly was saved. was amazingly peaceful and now no longer fear death...something i will be grateful for i am sure when my time does come.
I don't know your situation when you dealt with this, so I can't really comment.
As I stated the human need for survival can make a person defend themselves from many different attacks.
But as in your case, I realise others may do the same.

Each scenario brings a different result.

Somkid

Hsuan Tsang, the famous monk-traveler, was once asked by the Emperor of China to accompany him on a military campaign. The monk's reply showed his tactfulness and his adherence to Buddhist ethical codes:

Hsuan Tsang knows himself not to be of any assistance to your military campaign. I feel ashamed to be the object of unnecessary expenses and a useless burden. Moreover, the Vinaya discipline forbids monks to see military battle and displays of armies. As Lord Buddha gave such an admonition, I dare not, to please Your Majesty.​

The spirit of nonviolence permeates Buddhism. The first precept, not to kill, is the foundation for all Buddhist action. This idea is expanded in the notion of non-harming (ahimsa): that one should actively practice loving kindness towards all, sometimes it is difficult but I feel it is necessary to lead by example even if it means my own death.

gnostic

The Lost One
It really depends on the circumstances. If my life was in danger, maybe. If someone else (family member, friend, or even stranger) was in danger, maybe. It is possible that I would fight back in defence, and may kill someone. Or maybe I would freeze up and get kill. I have never been in the situation of where my life in danger, so I don't really know. I wouldn't kill for fun, money or jealousy. I am not that type of person. The only possible way for me to kill someone is through sheer accident, not premeditated murder.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
1. A kill or be killed situation.
2. If my family and/or those close to me would be killed.
3. If innocent lives would be killed and I have no other choice to prevent it.

I agree. In gun safety classes, you learn to never shoot unless for the above reasons. Never to protect property, because the court costs would far surpass the value of the stolen goods. But I'm stepping a bit off subject. It's difficult to say what you'd do until faced with the situation. May that never happen!

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't think I would be able to kill in revenge or in cold blood, but I probably would be able to if someone was threatening my children or another loved one.

Zephyr

Moved on
It wouldn't take a lot to get me to kill. I will not back down from the fifth charge, "To suffer no evil to go unremedied and to fight against the enemies of Faith, Folk and Family: my foes I will fight in the field, nor will I stay to be burnt in my house." If the enemies of Faith, Folk, or Family can't be stopped by nonviolent methods, I wouldn't hesitate to kill them.

Not all of us are nonviolent.

gnostic

The Lost One
I certainly wouldn't kill for religion.

I think the real question for this topic is:

"Would you kill for your religion or for the name of your god?"

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
. what would it take, if anything, for you to kill? bearing in mind for all you religious folk it goes against your beliefs....but there must be something that would tip you over the edge, surely
self defense?
rape?
child protection?
anger?
etc?
or do you think there are never any reasons to take anothers life?
know this is a bit on the dark side, but am interested

My father didn't raise a killer. I will protect for self defense and try to only wound the person. If death occurs, then I will take my punishment.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I would kill to protect myself, my family, or incoccent bystanders(aka Mall shootings, etc.). I would also kill to protect my rights guaranteed in the Bill of Rights and Constitution of the United States. I've never killed anyone before. Hopefully I never will have to. But I acting in defense of those things mentioned above do not go against my religion.

God has commanded men to kill on occasion.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I kill every day. Humans though, would depend on the situation. I think I would say that kill or be killed would do, but when it happens, I might stand still waiting for fate to come..