• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would You Home School Your Kids?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Would you home school your kids? If so, why? What sort of problems would you expect to encounter -- and how would you deal with those problems?

If not, why not?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Sure I woujld, if I had to. I don't think it would be the best thing for my kids, but I would do it.

I would assume the major problems would be being able to teach the material well enough, not being able to motivate them to actually do their work, and not being properly socialized.

Nanda

Polyanna
I considered it for a time, but ultimately decided against it because of the social issues. My younger brother and my best friend were both homeschooled for a time, and while they're both very smart, they're socially inept. Then again, they were socially inept to begin with, so...I don't know.

Bishka

Veteran Member
It has been an idea I've toyed with. Since I do not have any children, I cannot say, but it depends on the area we eventually settle in. If the schools are decent enough, I'll let them go, but if it is anything like where I grew up, they are getting home schooled.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
I want to be a teacher, Maths or Physics. I don't think I would have liked to be home schooled. The social aspect of school is huge. A lot of my school life now isn't academic. As a 6th year(last year high School) a lot of what we do is social. We've already done two team building days in the 4 weeks since our timetables changes. Starting to organize all the comities for all the events we as a year group run. I wouldn't want a child of mine to miss out on this.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I, actually, fully intend on homeschooling as long as it is financially feasible for me to stay home to do so. I want my child homeschooled and as for socializing, I intend on enrolling him in outside-of-school programs/classes. Like perhaps scouts, or dance/gymnastics/martial arts lessons. Something that gives opportunity for growth, experience, learning AND socializing with friends.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
I home schooled my sister. The hardest thing is getting accredited for the work. If the school system in your area doesn't have a home schooling program that can be next to impossible.

The social issue is a common misconception about homeschooling. Homeschool doesn't mean your kids will never see the light of day or another kid. There are plenty of activities kids can be involved in with other children their age. Here in chicago the Park District has alot of programs for every season. You could take your kids to the Y, to the park, to museums, the zoo and other places where they will be placed in a position to be social with others. I personally recommend doing home school if a parent can, because I learned pretty much all the crap I ever learned from a school environment.

I was able to teach my sister through her high school years actually. It was challenging I must say. The social issues didn't bother her because she is largely anti-social to begin with. Even before I home schooled her, she went to public school for k-8, and she never got along with anyone. She always fought, she had bad grades, and a short attention span. That turned around in a year. She was still anti-social, but was more able to control her temper once I got her outside that school environment.

Nanda

Polyanna
The social issues didn't bother her because she is largely anti-social to begin with.

Then you're in the same boat I'm in. I've seen the academic advantages of homeschooling, but how can you know there aren't social repurcussions if the child was socially inept to begin with? My brother, for example, has been metriculated back into a highschool program of sorts with other kids his age, and he actually has friends now - evern when my mother had him in karate and swim, this was unheard of.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
As an aspiring teacher, I'd have to say it would be nigh impossible unless the woman I marry does not want to work. In that case it all depends on where we live. Some public schools are just absolutely amazing; some I would fight tooth and nail before putting my kids through.

Zephyr

Moved on
I probably wouldn't homeschool any kids I'd have, but I'd sure as hell give them an extra boost. Around here the PE program is pathetic, and since I'm studying to become a music teacher, I'd hope I was qualified to teach a bit in that area.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i don't know what i would do with regards to my kids education.... i would probably send them to school over home schooling because i simply don't think i have what it takes to teach.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
Then you're in the same boat I'm in. I've seen the academic advantages of homeschooling, but how can you know there aren't social repurcussions if the child was socially inept to begin with?

Most of the muslism in my locality also homeschool and there kids are anything but anti-social. If anything they are annoying with how friendly they are. They also have no problem making play buddies anywhere. So my sister and I had a speciall set of circumstances, where traditional schooling simply didn't work for her at all.

Aqualung

Tasty
I might. The school system now is generally pretty messed up. If it doesn't get terribly worse, though, it's nothing a good home life couldn't counter. But, there are a lot of things I don't like about it, so I might go that route, especially for elementary years.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Ss,

Would You Home School Your Kids?

Lucky have no children to take care off; being single besides are you planning to closure of school system itself??
If so, request kindly allow specialized professionals to do what they do best unless someone lives in a remote area and no facility of distant leaning over the net!

Love & rgds

blackout

Violet.
I would only do it again if I had (real) money.

For tutors, activities/classes, mentors, the right space, extra computers and all that.

blackout

Violet.
God no! I can't wait for all my kids to be in school so I can get some peace in the house! :)

yeah. And also that. :D

I have things that I want and need to do
at this point in my life as well.
(besides simply making money)
I would need my space,
literally,
and everyone would have to have
their own personal needs met.

Thus the need for (real) money.