• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you die to live forever?

Smoke

Done here.
I might.

The question made me think of something, though. A friend of mine has a sister in her eighties; her children are older than my friend. She has been in the hospital for some time, and recently she told my friend that she wanted him to talk to her children on her behalf. "They won't leave me alone," she complained. "I just want to die, and they won't let me. I'm tired. You have to tell them to let me die."

We might hope not to reach that point in our eighties, but I feel pretty certain that -- given the time -- we would all reach it eventually.

Last edited:

kadzbiz

If I was to live for a very long time, but my family could not, then that wouldn't be nice. I'd not like to outlive my children and their children. If everybody could live forever, a) the world population would destroy the Earth and b) there'd be no real point of having children.

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
I would love to live forever. I really have no desire to ever die. Why would I?! Sure, the earth is a ******, ****** place and the people suck but think of how interesting and amazingly cool it would be to live for hundreds, thousands, millions of years and see how this place changes and what all goes down. I'm all for it, man!

kadzbiz

I would love to live forever. I really have no desire to ever die. Why would I?! Sure, the earth is a ******, ****** place and the people suck but think of how interesting and amazingly cool it would be to live for hundreds, thousands, millions of years and see how this place changes and what all goes down. I'm all for it, man!

Your reasoning sounds like torture.

Smoke

Done here.
Are you going to be able to escape the earth before it burns up? I wouldn't care to be around for that. I don't think I'd want to live forever, anyway. But I could imagine wanting to live a very long time. 200 years ... 500 ... 1000 ... Think of all you could learn and experience. That's why I think I might take the deal. The way the OP is phrased, you'd still have the option of jumping off a cliff when you were done; you wouldn't be forced to keep going after you'd lost the will to go on.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Question:
If there was a process (which you were assured in your own mind would work) in where your current body would be destroyed but in the process you would obtain an almost age-less, disease resistant, and perfect body would you do it?

- This process could be either scientific or mystical
- It would be something you would theoretically be able to know for certain works - perhaps because of many other people who have already done this process. (I make this point because I'm not asking if this is possible or not possible - I'm asking IF it WAS possible would you do it.)
- Your new body would not be completely immortal because you could still die of trauma, but you wouldn't have to worry about most diseases and would never age (in the sense your skin would never lose plasticity or your hair would never go gray, your bones wouldn't loose calcium, etc).

Bonus question: Would a perfect copy of you - all your memories, your DNA, etc - still be YOU?
I dunno...
Are there going to be others trying to cut off my head?

*queue Queen*

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Question:
If there was a process (which you were assured in your own mind would work) in where your current body would be destroyed but in the process you would obtain an almost age-less, disease resistant, and perfect body would you do it?
I believe I have already stated it a couple of times in other threads, I believe the highest gift the universe has given us, is the gift of mortality.
death is a natural part of life, so natural that without death, life as we know it would not be possible.

depends would i be able to copy me more then one's? so instead of just making 1 me i could make 100 me's?

I think this is a great thread, it made me think!

I agree with the arguments given by those who'd rather follow the natural order of life (and die). Imagine raising children. I'm sure it's interesting when it's your children, your grandchildren, and even if you're lucky, you're great-grandchildren, but after that, would you still care about it in the same way?

Or, let's say you chose to study medicine the first time round, and you become a great doctor. Would you want to be a doctor for 10000 years? Maybe then you'd learn about plumbing, or whatever, but in the end, a job is a job: it's solving problems, and it's interaction with others. You spend your time perfecting your problem solving skills, your people skills, but you'd never reach perfection (who can be perfect?). I don't know if that's a good thing (since there would always be something to improve), or really frustrating.

Of course there is the question of afterlife. If you were always on earth, you'd be missing out on what comes after earth (the worlds of God?).

Pleasureway

what u r talkin about is like reincarnation really, if u popped up once u can pop up again. Reincarnation is real and guaranteed.

one think deterrs me though what if i get children my children would get children and after a couple 100 years the hotty i took home and had sexual intercourse with might have been my great great grand child

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
one think deterrs me though what if i get children my children would get children and after a couple 100 years the hotty i took home and had sexual intercourse with might have been my great great grand child
Seems like it would be a rather good incentive to keep track of your family

S-word

Are you going to be able to escape the earth before it burns up? I wouldn't care to be around for that. I don't think I'd want to live forever, anyway. But I could imagine wanting to live a very long time. 200 years ... 500 ... 1000 ... Think of all you could learn and experience. That's why I think I might take the deal. The way the OP is phrased, you'd still have the option of jumping off a cliff when you were done; you wouldn't be forced to keep going after you'd lost the will to go on.

And when you reach 1000 years and realise all that you still do not understand, you would want to live for another 1000 years, in your quest to understand all that has occured over the aeons of eternity.

We were sitting in the lunch room at work, discussing whether the 98 year old grand-father of one of our work mates would reach 100, when one of the young boys said, "Who in the hell would want to live to be 100?" And without exception, all who were present in the room answered him as one voice, saying, "Everyone who is 99."

Last edited:

ye but with living forever you would get quite an extensive family

and this is just if they all only have 2 children