• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you die to live forever?

TerranIV

Infidel
Question:
If there was a process (which you were assured in your own mind would work) in where your current body would be destroyed but in the process you would obtain an almost age-less, disease resistant, and perfect body would you do it?

- This process could be either scientific or mystical
- It would be something you would theoretically be able to know for certain works - perhaps because of many other people who have already done this process. (I make this point because I'm not asking if this is possible or not possible - I'm asking IF it WAS possible would you do it.)
- Your new body would not be completely immortal because you could still die of trauma, but you wouldn't have to worry about most diseases and would never age (in the sense your skin would never lose plasticity or your hair would never go gray, your bones wouldn't loose calcium, etc).

Bonus question: Would a perfect copy of you - all your memories, your DNA, etc - still be YOU?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Question:
If there was a process (which you were assured in your own mind would work) in where your current body would be destroyed but in the process you would obtain an almost age-less, disease resistant, and perfect body would you do it?

- It would be something you would theoretically be able to know for certain works - perhaps because of many other people who have already done this process. (I make this point because I'm not asking if this is possible or not possible - I'm asking IF it WAS possible would you do it.)
- Your new body would not be completely immortal because you could still die of trauma, but you wouldn't have to worry about most diseases and would never age (in the sense your skin would never lose plasticity or your hair would never go gray, your bones wouldn't loose calcium, etc).

Bonus question: Would a perfect copy of you - all your memories, your DNA, etc - still be YOU?

Do I have to live forever, or can I choose to end my existence when insanity starts to set in after a few centuries?

idea

Question Everything
Yes - would do it, am currently doing it :)

This body is like the highschool junker car - the one that you are learning to drive with, learning how to maintain etc. You don't want to give an expensive car to a reckless teenager who does not know what they are doing right? This body is the junker one, we learn how to treat it, how to take care of it, eat right, exercise, etc. etc... then when we figure things out, we will get the nicer version :)

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I would do that if it would still be me. I mean, if it is a clone of me, and not my own mind, then I wouldn't, because I would be dead and just my clone wouldn't be.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I do not want to live forever and never did. Theres a Peirs Anthony story were death took a guy and was to judge him good or bad. He was pretty equal so he asked the guy if he want to go to Heaven of Hell. The guy responded neither he was happy with his life and glad it was over. His soul then disovled on its own.

Thats me, I definately do not want to bask in eternal torment. Life is a constant challenge at some point I am going to want to rest(not wish to live anymore). I can't imagine anything that could be better than this life and all the definitions of heaven are incredibly boring to me I would rather not exist.

idea

Question Everything
I would do that if it would still be me. I mean, if it is a clone of me, and not my own mind, then I wouldn't, because I would be dead and just my clone wouldn't be.

Our bodies are not who we are.... all matter is inert, there is no exception. That your body moves means that there is something apart from the matter directing it. Your spirit - the energy apart from the matter - that is who we all are...

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I do not want to live forever and never did. Theres a Peirs Anthony story were death took a guy and was to judge him good or bad. He was pretty equal so he asked the guy if he want to go to Heaven of Hell. The guy responded neither he was happy with his life and glad it was over. His soul then disovled on its own.

Thats me, I definately do not want to bask in eternal torment. Life is a constant challenge at some point I am going to want to rest(not wish to live anymore). I can't imagine anything that could be better than this life and all the definitions of heaven are incredibly boring to me I would rather not exist.

:eek: But existing is basically all you do!!

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Question:

So I'd be a Tolkien Elf? Do I get pointed ears as well?;)

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Our bodies are not who we are.... all matter is inert, there is no exception. That your body moves means that there is something apart from the matter directing it. Your spirit - the energy apart from the matter - that is who we all are...

I think your brain and conciousness is "who" you are. :D Once your brain dies, you are screwed. That's what I think anyway.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Question:

Only if the parts are interchangeable. ;)

I can't even remember "me" at birth, much less retaining the memories I have at present. I would say to this N/A by reason of eventual amnesia.

Draka

Wonder Woman
There is a natural order of things. Death is part of that order. Speaking as someone who loved the Highlander series, I always felt sorry for Duncan. The idea of never aging, never dying, while watching all those you care for wither and die is torturous. A person is not meant to outlive their children and grandchildren and so on. Not to mention, but even if those you cared most for were to be as ageless and undying as you, you would eventually get bored with life I would think. Eventually you would have done it all, seen it all, learned it all...and then what?

No, I don't think I could choose to live forever.