• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would the world benefit or not if it were all to follow the same religion?

HiddenHijabi

I'm thinking of all the fighting and wars, the endless arguments, the religious fundamentalism etc. which seem to result from the religious pluralism which exists now, and what would be the case in the reverse scenario.

It is the goal or future vision of some religions that the world will or should all follow the one religion and its rules/beliefs (in particular Christianity). It seems the impression of many who hold this belief/beliefs is that if the world were to follow the same religious path, it would herald in peace and 'heaven on earth'.

I'm wondering what RFers think would be the case in this scenario?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Besides that fact that such a pervasive power structure would ultimately become oppressive, corrupt, and stagnant, such homogenity would fracture into various sects long before it came close to spreading over the entire planet. Every religion always ends up splitting into various sects and denominations for a variety of agendas and other factors.

nilsz

bzzt
I think the best way is to teach children to value life over death of people whom our disagreements with have trivial implications.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Some conceptions of religion are pluralist enough, I suppose.

But those would be loose enough in structure that one would be hard-pressed to proved that is in fact one sole religion as opposed to at least a few thousand.

Religious pluralism is not a problem; it is a feature.

Valkyrie

Well we know the effects of forcing christianity to local tribes -the bloodshed, the murders ,the violence .If there was to be only one religion humanity would destroy itself arguing which religion should be dominant .

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Besides that fact that such a pervasive power structure would ultimately become oppressive, corrupt, and stagnant, such homogenity would fracture into various sects long before it came close to spreading over the entire planet. Every religion always ends up splitting into various sects and denominations for a variety of agendas and other factors.

^This+1

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I'm thinking of all the fighting and wars, the endless arguments, the religious fundamentalism etc. which seem to result from the religious pluralism which exists now, and what would be the case in the reverse scenario.

It is the goal or future vision of some religions that the world will or should all follow the one religion and its rules/beliefs (in particular Christianity). It seems the impression of many who hold this belief/beliefs is that if the world were to follow the same religious path, it would herald in peace and 'heaven on earth'.

Jesus is the Son of God who was sent to teach us how to worship God correctly.

If every person of every religion in every land joined themselves to Christ, we would have a united and peaceful world. So the answer is yes, a one world religious system would benefit all.

InvestigateTruth

This is what our Baha'i Scriptures says precisely:

"That all nations should become one in faith and all men as brothers; that the bonds of affection and unity between the sons of men should be strengthened; that diversity of religion should cease, and differences of race be annulled—what harm is there in this?... Yet so it shall be; these fruitless strifes, these ruinous wars shall pass away, and the ‘Most Great Peace’ shall come...." - Baha'u'llah
Bahá'í Reference Library - Proclamation of Bahá’u’lláh

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Except for Baha'i Faith, despite many attempts.

Apart from Charles Mason Remy's Bahai Faith, There is:-

Bahai-Faith.com

The Baha'i Faith: A Unitarian Universalist View

By Eric Stetson, former member of the Baha'i Faith community

Eric Stetson I was a Baha'i from 1998 to 2002 and was an active member of the mainstream Baha'i Faith organization. However, I disagreed with the Baha'i belief in infallibility of the Universal House of Justice (the head institution of the Baha'i community) and I considered some of its policies to be too restrictive. I left the Baha'i Faith and felt called to become a Christian. Over time, my Christian beliefs became liberal and pluralistic, and in 2007 I began attending a Unitarian Universalist church. In 2009, I reevaluated my view of the Baha'i faith and decided that I agree with most of the teachings of its founder, Baha'u'llah – but I still disagree with how the faith has been interpreted in a conservative way, emphasizing unquestioned obedience to religious leaders. I hope someday the Baha'i organization will become more liberal and open-minded like the Unitarian Universalist church.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
If you mean a "uniform religion" - as in everyone believing, professing, worshipping, dressing and speaking with the same words - then a resounding "no!". I think that would be the closest thing I can imagine to a true dystopia, especially if the said religion were hierarchical. It would probably be worse than George Orwell's 1984 or the Hunger Games....:rolleyes:

There is a line of thought, exhibited by many sociologists and even spiritual leaders such as his Holiness the Dalai Lama which posits that human beings are far too diverse in temperament, taste, mindset, attributes and intimations to ever conceivably become united under one common faith or religion.

I concur with this. It just isn't human nature as I see it.

However I suppose it depends upon what form of religious unity one is proposing. Certainly, their will never be uniformity. History has taught us that where a society has attempted to impose identical, uniform customs, rituals, religious/ideological laws, linguistic expressions, forms of worship, styles etc. on vast congregations of people from different nations and cultures it has inevitably failed, since true unity can only exist in and through diversity.

There is a different understanding of religious unity, however, which I think could be possible.

This is the kind of unity where there exists a plurality of rites each with their own distinctive theologies, liturgy, art, literature, rituals, customs, traditions, ceremonies, prayers, styles of prayer, terminologies that while not uniform are nevertheless only different expressions of some common fundamental truths.

Each of these religious rites are truly self-governing - they retain their distinct sense of self-identity, autonomy and governance while also pledging complete loyalty to the higher, universal ideal or "meta-belief" which governs the whole.

While I wouldn't consider this to be "desirable" per se, I could envision it as at least functioning.

A cardinal of the Catholic Church called Nicholas of Cusa, offered up this vision in the 1400s:

"...With many groanings I beseeched the Creator of all, because of His kindness, to restrain the persecution that was raging more fiercely than usual on account of the difference of rite between the religions...We praise our God, whose mercy rules over all His works and who alone has the power to bring it about, that such a great diversity of religions would be brought together in one harmonious peace. We, who are His work, cannot disobey His direction. Nevertheless we request instruction, as to how this unity of religion can be introduced by us...You will find that not another faith but the one and the same faith is presupposed everywhere...There can only be one wisdom. For if it were possible that there be several wisdoms, then these would have to be from one. Namely, unity is prior to all plurality...Even though you acknowledge diverse religions, you all presuppose in all of this diversity the one, which you call wisdom...Therefore, come to our aid you who alone are able. For this rivalry [among religions] exists for sake of you, whom alone they revere in everything that all seem to worship. For each one desires in all that he seems to desire only the good which you are; no one is seeking with all his intellectual searching for anything else than the truth which you are. For what does the living seek except to live? What does the existing seek except to exist? Therefore, it is you, O God, the giver of life and being, who is being sought in different religions in different ways, and who are named with different names because as you are you remain unknown and ineffable to all...Therefore, do not hide Yourself any longer, O Lord. Be propitious, and manifest Your face; and all peoples will be saved, who no longer will be able to desert the Source of life and its sweetness, once having foretasted even a little thereof. For no one departs from You except because He is ignorant of You...Moses had described a path to God, but this path was neither taken up by everyone nor was it understood by everyone. Jesus illuminated and perfected this path; nevertheless, many even now remain unbelievers. Muhammad tried to make the same path easier, so that it might be accepted by all, even idolaters. These are the most famous of the said paths to God, although many others were presented by the wise and the prophets...Even though you acknowledge diverse religions, you all presuppose in all of this diversity the one...It is you, O God, who is being sought in various religions in various ways, and named with various names. For you remain as you are, to all incomprehensible and inexpressible. When you will graciously grant it, then sword, jealous hatred and evil will cease and all will come to know that there is but one religion in the variety of religious rites..."

- Cardinal Nicholas of Cusa (1401 –1464), De Pace Fidei, Catholic mystic and highest cleric under the Pope in his day

una religio in varietate rituum = one religion in a variety/diversity of rites/faiths

In response to the fall of Constantinople in 1453, Nicholas of Cusa wrote De pace fidei defending a commitment to religious tolerance on the basis of the notion that all diverse rites are but manifestations of one true religion

Nicholas of Cusa

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

No, I don't think that having a single religion would be helpful in any way. Humans fight, and we always find something to justify it. Sometimes it is religion, sometimes politics, or economics, or territory, or resources, or ......

I think that God is far too complex and vast to ever be defined by a single theology, and we all see the Divine in different ways. Different religions allow us ways to connect with God that take social and cultural differences, complex theological issues, and common identity into account. We can find common ground and work to improve our wold for all people in a way that allows for us to keep our own beliefs intact.

BruceDLimber

Apart from . . .

The fact remains that no attempt to split the Baha'i Faith has survived beyond one lifetime, and indeed, many of those attempts have either re-split and fragmented themselves or are already completely extinct!

Just the facts.

Bruce

HiddenHijabi

Jesus is the Son of God who was sent to teach us how to worship God correctly.

If every person of every religion in every land joined themselves to Christ, we would have a united and peaceful world. So the answer is yes, a one world religious system would benefit all.

Problem with this statement is that I could just as easily change this and say 'Muhammad SAW is the Messenger of God, sent to teach us how to worship Allah correctly. If everyone of every religion in every land became a Muslim, we would have a united world'. Your statement doesn't really actually say anything or do anything to contribute anything other than what you believe.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Would the world benefit or not if it were all to follow the same religion?, if we were all robots it probably would work, and who's religion would we follow ?.

HiddenHijabi

Would the world benefit or not if it were all to follow the same religion?, if we were all robots it probably would work, and who's religion would we follow ?.

Well one question that does have to be answered is whether any one religion extant in the world would allow for such universal application. People are very different, and the wide variety of religious expressions which exist in the world today are very much reflective of this. So you'd have to consider if any one religion, even where such a religion has flexibility, could account for this.

Sen McGlinn

Pluralism is here to stay. It is pointless to imagine it away. The world would benefit if religionists would learn to see their religions as complementary parts of one world religious system. The differences enrich:

The fundamental principle enunciated by Bahá'u'lláh ... is that religious truth is not absolute but relative, that Divine Revelation is a continuous and progressive process, that all the great religions of the world are divine in origin, that their basic principles are in complete harmony, that their aims and purposes are one and the same, that their teachings are but facets of one truth, that their functions are complementary,
(Shoghi Effendi, The Promised Day is Come)

No religions teach that lying is good, that cowardice is good, that agitation is better than serenity. But the various religious traditions put different emphases: one emphasiszes forgiveness, another courage, another mindfulness. In different circumstances, for different purposes, a diversity in values (i.e., the different valuations or emphases given to the same virtues) gives society the citizens it needs. A society with one religious tradition is like a monoculture farm, or a business with just one trick. It will be prone to keep doing the wrong things, simply because it is locked into one perspective.

Tumah

Veteran Member

I think the question is too general. Within Christianity itself (to use the example you brought) there are numerous denominations. This joke is brought to mind:
I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said, "Stop! Don't do it!" "Why shouldn't I?" he said. I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!" He said, "Like what?" I said, "Well, are you religious or atheist?" He said, "Religious." I said, "Me too! Are your Christian or Buddhist?" He said, "Christian." I said, "Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?" He said, "Protestant." I said, Me too! Are your Episcopalian or Baptist? He said, "Baptist!" I said, "Wow! Me too! Are your Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord? He said, Baptist Church of God!" I said, "Me too! Are your Original Baptist Church of God or are you Reformed Baptist Church of God?" He said, "Reformed Baptist Church of God!" I said, "Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915?" He said, "Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915!" I said, "Die, heretic scum!" and pushed him off.