• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wish I Believed In God

Orias

Left Hand Path
Nature, kids, people insects, animals... Stardust, dirt, blood and bones, flesh...

UV, myself and a few others seem to be telling you the same thing.

From within YOU is where belief arises, from within YOU is where "God" dwells.

Since a being could hardly exist if people like us did not care to contemplate such lunacy ;)

Like UV said, you are a Star, we are all Stars, metaphorically and even kind of scientifically.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
As someone who has lived more than a few decades, let me give you some advice. Depression is usually a curable condition. In the short term, there are drugs that really work by boosting your serotonin level, but that isn't actually a cure. Time is the real cure. Think long and hard about the things that give you lasting pleasure in life, and then plan for them. Sometimes, during the execution of your plan, the goals change, but the reality is that life always poses interesting challenges. You have not yet discovered all of those challenges or experienced the satisfaction of having overcome them. It is all going to end at some point in time, whether you like it or not, and the greatest challenge of all is putting that point off as long as possible.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yes, but if you really think about it... We're just, maybe not even, little aspects of the universe, we're so small, we're a random life out of many in the universe.

Though if a God existed, I could easily believe that God made us for a reason and that we could be the main life out of all of the other ones.

You know a tool by it's design.
You have five senses.
Each one delivers this life experience into your mind.
Then it ends.

And your spiritual life begins.

We may be small...but it is written...'ye are gods...'

Unless of course you allow yourself to get got up in denial.
Then back to the ground you go.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
As someone who has lived more than a few decades, let me give you some advice. Depression is usually a curable condition. In the short term, there are drugs that really work by boosting your serotonin level, but that isn't actually a cure. Time is the real cure. Think long and hard about the things that give you lasting pleasure in life, and then plan for them. Sometimes, during the execution of your plan, the goals change, but the reality is that life always poses interesting challenges. You have not yet discovered all of those challenges or experienced the satisfaction of having overcome them. It is all going to end at some point in time, whether you like it or not, and the greatest challenge of all is putting that point off as long as possible.

Thinking long and hard about things is what makes me see things from a pessimistic view.

The Sum of Awe

UV, myself and a few others seem to be telling you the same thing.

From within YOU is where belief arises, from within YOU is where "God" dwells.

Since a being could hardly exist if people like us did not care to contemplate such lunacy ;)

Like UV said, you are a Star, we are all Stars, metaphorically and even kind of scientifically.

I'll follow your guys's sayings then. I know you guys are telling the right thing, but it's hard for me, my mind almost 'forces' me to look into things so small.

I look at the pixels of the picture in nature... That's the best I can describe it. Though it's not my fault, it's something my brain automatically does.

The Sum of Awe

Just out of curiosity, what are they?

Mainly:

1. Outside of the universe it's larger than we can imagine, why would God focus on humans if it existed?
  2. God lacks evidence.
  3. None of my prayers for evidence has been answered.
  4. I live in a community that is very sad and dangerous, making me wonder why a God would do this.
  5. Why would God give evidence of evolution and other things associating with the beginning, yet not itself?
  6. Hell just ruins it.
  7. Almost all gods in religions have flaws.
  8. It's a paradox.

So far the only possible God I see is the impersonal, deistic one. But how would an impersonal God be real if the idea of God came from early mystics who claimed to have seen God. Either they had good guesses for their lies which is unlikely or God is personal, which takes me back to the list.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Thinking long and hard about things is what makes me see things from a pessimistic view.
My advice was not just to think about the things that upset you, but about those things that give you satisfaction or pleasure in life. What ultimately gives meaning to life is the feeling of achievement. But I have no pat answers for this problem, and it is always easier to give advice than to take it. I can say that in my case, belief in a god did not really serve to give my life purpose. The lesson I learned over time was that time tends to cure the problem of ennui.

Orias

Left Hand Path
I look at the pixels of the picture in nature... That's the best I can describe it. Though it's not my fault, it's something my brain automatically does.

That is what I am talking about.

The details do not need to come into conflict with each other, they just need to flow from what the Mind can occur.

Orias

Left Hand Path
My advice was not just to think about the things that upset you, but about those things that give you satisfaction or pleasure in life. What ultimately gives meaning to life is the feeling of achievement. But I have no pat answers for this problem, and it is always easier to give advice than to take it. I can say that in my case, belief in a god did not really serve to give my life purpose. The lesson I learned over time was that time tends to cure the problem of ennui.

Scenarios of boundless apathy are certain to occur.

I usually spend that time letting my mind wander itself, but I am easy to amuse as well :D

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
SOA so God needs to be proven......I am quite content at not seeing God physically. I take solace in the Holy Quranic verse "we are closer to you than your own jugular vein." I think all life forms have a mystical energy drawn from something much greater than the universe. As far as the "why would God care for humans?" The same reason when humans have sex and procreate. The same reason when at night you sleep, your brain regenerates. The same reason, microbes eat your dead skin cells, or the same reason your heart pumps blood so that you may life.

Sorry I can't take the atheistic view that of all these things it just randomly happened. I am not going to sit here and say subscribe to the Abrahamic God. Rather I am asking you to think. You see, that which you describe in your list is referencing the Abrahamic views of God. Frankly I find them limiting God.

I will tell you and forgive my morbid view but I have seen a lot of dead bodies in my time and when I see a dead body I personally wonder how something with so much life and so much personality is rendered to lifeless? I know I am coming on dangerous territory on the soul but I believe there is a deep essence within all of us. I can't explain it.

Just like atheist or thrust cannot prove how intution exists nor can I prove God to you. Best thing to do is keep searching. The answer is there simply by hearing your own beating heart.

Onkara

Great post Vendetta, when I read your post I am reminded that when we tire of searching for God outside, we should look for God within our selves. It brings peace. :)

They are right, the truth isn't always the best.

I think I've got too many reasons why not to believe in a God.

But I want to believe because it would keep me from being pessimistic and down-looking at life.

I see life as meaningless, for you have to make your own meaning.

All I have is the Sun, but even I know that is not a personal God.

It's just weird feeling. Anyone feel the same?

I don't but my fiance does because she says it would make life easier with all the terrible things which happen in the world. Personally I prefer to just accept the universe as the way it is and believe that its our responsiblity to make our lot better rather than deluding ourselves into believing that there is a higher power somewhere who will make everything alright in the end.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
SOA so God needs to be proven......I am quite content at not seeing God physically. I take solace in the Holy Quranic verse "we are closer to you than your own jugular vein." I think all life forms have a mystical energy drawn from something much greater than the universe. As far as the "why would God care for humans?" The same reason when humans have sex and procreate. The same reason when at night you sleep, your brain regenerates. The same reason, microbes eat your dead skin cells, or the same reason your heart pumps blood so that you may life.

Sorry I can't take the atheistic view that of all these things it just randomly happened. I am not going to sit here and say subscribe to the Abrahamic God. Rather I am asking you to think. You see, that which you describe in your list is referencing the Abrahamic views of God. Frankly I find them limiting God.

Are you sure your Religion tag should say "Rationalism"? :sarcastic

I will tell you and forgive my morbid view but I have seen a lot of dead bodies in my time and when I see a dead body I personally wonder how something with so much life and so much personality is rendered to lifeless?

The physical processes that was that person has stopped, giving way to other physical processes.

Just like atheist or thrust cannot prove how intution exists nor can I prove God to you.

We have a very clear understanding of how intuition works...
Also, there is an infinite mass of things we cannot prove the non-existence of (since it is logically impossible to disprove the existence of anything), but we don't believe in things because we can prove they do not exist.
We should believe they do because we have evidence they do.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Are you sure your Religion tag should say "Rationalism"? :sarcastic

The physical processes that was that person has stopped, giving way to other physical processes.

We have a very clear understanding of how intuition works...
Also, there is an infinite mass of things we cannot prove the non-existence of (since it is logically impossible to disprove the existence of anything), but we don't believe in things because we can prove they do not exist.
We should believe they do because we have evidence they do.

As strong as your opinion is Jarofthoughts, this is not a debate thread.

The point Vendetta was trying to make that anything we cannot sense cannot be proven (labels (of course this is a topic for a debate thread I suppose), supernatural phenomena etc. etc.).

We have ideas and thoughts about our own current system of language and dechiphering, but the end conclusion is always the same, death.

By means people seek out "God" to feel comforted, and he is correct when he speaks of the Abrahamic "God" limiting what "God" is, since the eytmology of the word "God" hardly elaborates the so commonly argued over "God".

To base One's "God" stance off of One defined and common "God" is silly, because "God" exists in an atheistic and non-theistic realm as well. Otherwise yours and my purpose here would be pretty much obsolete.

We all live for the kill ;)

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
As strong as your opinion is Jarofthoughts, this is not a debate thread.

The point Vendetta was trying to make that anything we cannot sense cannot be proven (labels (of course this is a topic for a debate thread I suppose), supernatural phenomena etc. etc.).

We have ideas and thoughts about our own current system of language and dechiphering, but the end conclusion is always the same, death.

By means people seek out "God" to feel comforted, and he is correct when he speaks of the Abrahamic "God" limiting what "God" is, since the eytmology of the word "God" hardly elaborates the so commonly argued over "God".

To base One's "God" stance off of One defined and common "God" is silly, because "God" exists in an atheistic and non-theistic realm as well. Otherwise yours and my purpose here would be pretty much obsolete.

We all live for the kill ;)

Fair enough, and I recognize that this is not one of the debate parts of the forum.
However, this tread was started by someone who expressed uncertainty about his or her position and was seeking answers.
I think it is important that the answers provided are as accurate as possible.

You are, however, correct that my opinions on the matter are strong.
I make no secret of the fact that I only view verifiable, empirical, objective or evidential claims to be valid and worthy of consideration.

But that's me. :D

The Sum of Awe

Is it even possible to seek something without an agenda?

Maybe not, but that's basically it in a nutshell.

But I interpreted your post as: "Is it even possible to see things without the specifics?" because I'm new to the word agenda and appearantly it is A list or program of things to be done or considered.

[Edit] Oh you were talking to CC :D

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Maybe not, but that's basically it in a nutshell.

But I interpreted your post as: "Is it even possible to see things without the specifics?" because I'm new to the word agenda and appearantly it is A list or program of things to be done or considered.

[Edit] Oh you were talking to CC :D

Believing in God would mean what to you?

Being lead about...being part of something greater than you....belonging?

Or being formed and matured that you might be set free?