• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wish I Believed In God

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Believing in God would mean what to you?

Being lead about...being part of something greater than you....belonging?

Or being formed and matured that you might be set free?

Rather that believing there is a point to living, a meaning to life. Without God life is just random, how is there a meaning?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Rather that believing there is a point to living, a meaning to life. Without God life is just random, how is there a meaning?

Try this....picture yourself as God....yes you can.

Having created a great many things....you then realize, you are the First.
You have thoughts and feelings, and there is nothing else like you.

But when you speak there is no echo...no answer.
And though your creation responds to your touch...it does not really respond.

Creating something like yourself would be the next logical step.
But on a spiritual level, your attempt results in a mirror image...and you are then talking to yourself.

There is nothing else to work with so you seek to blend spirit and substance.....Man.

Can you now see why you are here?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Mainly:

1. Outside of the universe it's larger than we can imagine, why would God focus on humans if it existed?
  2. God lacks evidence.
  3. None of my prayers for evidence has been answered.
  4. I live in a community that is very sad and dangerous, making me wonder why a God would do this.
  5. Why would God give evidence of evolution and other things associating with the beginning, yet not itself?
  6. Hell just ruins it.
  7. Almost all gods in religions have flaws.
  8. It's a paradox.

So far the only possible God I see is the impersonal, deistic one. But how would an impersonal God be real if the idea of God came from early mystics who claimed to have seen God. Either they had good guesses for their lies which is unlikely or God is personal, which takes me back to the list.

Believing in God is not a matter of logic, of course. It is a matter of finding out that the idea is useful for your personal inspiration and motivation.

Without God life is just random, how is there a meaning?

Meaning arises from the circunstances one finds himself in, and from the realization of what role we have in them and what role we may strive to have.

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Try this....picture yourself as God....yes you can.

Having created a great many things....you then realize, you are the First.
You have thoughts and feelings, and there is nothing else like you.

But when you speak there is no echo...no answer.
And though your creation responds to your touch...it does not really respond.

Creating something like yourself would be the next logical step.
But on a spiritual level, your attempt results in a mirror image...and you are then talking to yourself.

There is nothing else to work with so you seek to blend spirit and substance.....Man.

Can you now see why you are here?

I did all that, but honestly I don't understand.

The Sum of Awe

Believing in God is not a matter of logic, of course. It is a matter of finding out that the idea is useful for your personal inspiration and motivation.

Hmm...

Meaning arises from the circunstances one finds himself in, and from the realization of what role we have in them and what role we may strive to have.
Yes, but I'm speaking universal roles.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes, but I'm speaking universal roles.

I have a hunch that it could be good for you to reflect on why that is important (assuming there is a reason, that is).

There is no right or wrong answer, but there are various possible answers, which make various degrees of sense for different people. And that is quite alright, but it is still useful to know which ones make sense to you and which do not.

Not all possible answers are straight or even self-coherent. And that, too, is quite alright, but you may still want to know how it applies to you.

Ultimately, it matters not if God exists, much less if you have logical reasons to believe in Him. It is really all about how inspiring he is to you - and perhaps about what else inspires you.

I am a die-hard, by the book Catholic. But I can say this: If your post is serious, then I'd like to say its a wonderful post. I have great respect for someone who has the courage to question their own positions if they are feeling that something is not quite right. I believe that if someone seeks with all sincerity & honesty, and not with an agenda, they will eventually find what they are looking for.
Is it even possible to seek something without an agenda?

Well, if your agenda is the honest sincere search for the Truth, then I suppose that IS the agenda. But any other agenda will likely not lead you where you want to go.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Life can be an end in and of itself. It's valuable for the sake of what it is.

What kind of meaning would you expect a deity to give you, and what value would an externally-given meaning have for you?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
***Mod post***

This is the Secular Beliefs DIR. Please keep in mind rule 10:

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums
The DIR forums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. Only posts that comply with the tenets or spirit of that DIR are permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

LayzeeDragon

God is Cosmic Consciousness. There is NOTHING but God. The idea is not to believe or disbelieve. The finite mind cannot and will not comprehend the infinite. It is to abandon all beliefs and dis-beliefs. Do not be fooled. dis-beliefs are no different from beliefs. Both prevent one from knowing. And knowing is truth. If you are looking for absolute truth have faith "faith is not blind".. not beliefs(non-beliefs). And for your "evidence" notice that christian saints time and time again have stigmata the wounds of Christ. Notice how holy men of religion have a golden halo above them because it can be seen. Mystics, Saints, Yogis, etc. regardless of the religion they came from have been known to levitate, heal, bi-locate etc. Now when you look at religion look at their mystical branch, look at the saints that every religion has produced. Don't look at their dogmas, their contradiction in beliefs... read accounts and writings of people that are in the state of Contemplation (saints) Enlightenment( Buddhas) Moksha liberation( Yogic masters) they are all one with god.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I think the most important thing to believe in is Interconnectedness.
Everything else including how/why we are is just details, and the answers that spring from seeing and being the inter-being of life rise to the surface.
Call it God, Call it Dharma, Call it the Universe.... we're bound to each other, because of each other and come from each other.
No 'thing' happens alone.

"If thank you is the only prayer you ever say, it is enough" ~ Meister Eckhart

Orias

Left Hand Path
You are, however, correct that my opinions on the matter are strong.
I make no secret of the fact that I only view verifiable, empirical, objective or evidential claims to be valid and worthy of consideration.

But that's me. :D

Of course, and the way you perceive them is different as well ;)

pururun

cmiiw
recently i feel this way. because i feel lonely. i live in religious country where everyone (family, friends, acquintances, neighbours) around me is all believer. they can speak their belief out loud when i just keep silent.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Yes, but if you really think about it... We're just, maybe not even, little aspects of the universe, we're so small, we're a random life out of many in the universe.

Though if a God existed, I could easily believe that God made us for a reason and that we could be the main life out of all of the other ones.

i look at the midnight sky and say to myself...
i am a part of this beautiful wonder...

Landerage

Araknor
They are right, the truth isn't always the best.

I think I've got too many reasons why not to believe in a God.

But I want to believe because it would keep me from being pessimistic and down-looking at life.

I see life as meaningless, for you have to make your own meaning.

All I have is the Sun, but even I know that is not a personal God.

It's just weird feeling. Anyone feel the same?
I used to have this feeling aswell, and felt my life being wasted and asked myself what's the purpose of living if everything going to a waste? I did want to beleive in God but felt something was missing.
Well later on, my faith became stronger because I felt more then need, and I started to beleive, that there must be a God to make all the world balanced. Because I couldn't find peace without my faith, I felt the need for God who would judge people rightly, and settle things straight, and who would explain how life came from start.
I was invited through religion, but I had the need to beleive even before being devout. And later on, I discovered (as a personal opinion) that it was wrong not to beleive in God, since nobody knows after death what comes.