• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Trump Supporters Finally Admit This Is A Step Too Far?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
From Trump Hits Back At San Juan's 'Nasty' Mayor

Elaine Duke, the acting secretary of homeland security, on Thursday enthusiastically praised how federal authorities had reacted to the aftermath of the storm.

I know it’s a hard storm to recover from,” she said. “But I know it is really a good news story in terms of our ability to reach people and the limited number of deaths that have taken place in such a devastating hurricane.”

Cruz, the Mayor of San Juan, however, called that statement “irresponsible.”

This is a people are dying story. This is a life or death story,” she said on Friday’s broadcast of CNN’s “New Day.” “This is a story of a devastation that continues to worsen because people are not getting food and water.”

Cruz also used a news conference at a distribution center on Friday to blast the response and ask Trump to step up efforts to get aid delivered to islanders in need.

We are dying here, and I cannot fathom the thought that the greatest nation in the world cannot figure out logistics for a small island of 100 miles by 35 miles,” she said. “Mayday! We are in trouble.”

Trump's Response to the Mayor of San Juan complai:
"The Mayor of San Juan, who was very complimentary only a few days ago, has now been told by the Democrats that you must be nasty to Trump. Such poor leadership ability by the Mayor of San Juan, and others in Puerto Rico, who are not able to get their workers to help. They want everything to be done for them when it should be a community effort. 10,000 Federal workers now on Island doing a fantastic job."

I mean, even if you think the mayor's comment was out of line, wouldn't any reasonably decent human being give her a break considering what her and her constituents are going through? Beyond Trump trying to save face for his base, what good does his response really do?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
From Trump Hits Back At San Juan's 'Nasty' Mayor

Elaine Duke, the acting secretary of homeland security, on Thursday enthusiastically praised how federal authorities had reacted to the aftermath of the storm.

I know it’s a hard storm to recover from,” she said. “But I know it is really a good news story in terms of our ability to reach people and the limited number of deaths that have taken place in such a devastating hurricane.”

Cruz, the Mayor of San Juan, however, called that statement “irresponsible.”

This is a people are dying story. This is a life or death story,” she said on Friday’s broadcast of CNN’s “New Day.” “This is a story of a devastation that continues to worsen because people are not getting food and water.”

Cruz also used a news conference at a distribution center on Friday to blast the response and ask Trump to step up efforts to get aid delivered to islanders in need.

We are dying here, and I cannot fathom the thought that the greatest nation in the world cannot figure out logistics for a small island of 100 miles by 35 miles,” she said. “Mayday! We are in trouble.”

Trump's Response to the Mayor of San Juan complai:
"The Mayor of San Juan, who was very complimentary only a few days ago, has now been told by the Democrats that you must be nasty to Trump. Such poor leadership ability by the Mayor of San Juan, and others in Puerto Rico, who are not able to get their workers to help. They want everything to be done for them when it should be a community effort. 10,000 Federal workers now on Island doing a fantastic job."

I mean, even if you think the mayor's comment was out of line, wouldn't any reasonably decent human being give her a break considering what her and her constituents are going through? Beyond Trump trying to save face for his base, what good does his response really do?
This is a quote from the Washington Post that I thought was pretty spot on.
"This is who the president is. He doesn't accept criticism and move on; he brings a bazooka to a knife fight — even when those wielding the knife are trying to save lives."

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
Why would it be a good thing for us to be distracted talking about his tweet?

Is it better to be informed of what he is doing, even if it's absolutely frivolous, or should we place ourselves completely in the dark by ignoring everything in relation to the man?

I said what I said because you had already discounted mentioning the only other logical explanation as to what his responses do: which is to merely cater to his lunatic fan base.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Is it better to be informed of what he is doing, even if it's absolutely frivolous, or should we place ourselves completely in the dark by ignoring everything in relation to the man?

I said what I said because you had already discounted mentioning the only other logical explanation as to what his responses do: which is to merely cater to his lunatic fan base.
Got it. I would say that it is only negative that we are now distracted by this tweet war with a mayor that needs help. He should have just let it go and focused on getting Puerto Rico more help.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm not really even sure that she was attacking Trump directly. From the article, she seemed to be more upset about FEMA's requests for paperwork before they would send any help. I can see her point. If badly needed aid to the island is being delayed due to bureaucratic fools demanding paperwork, then someone has to take charge and kick some butts.

The article said it could take years before they'll be able to recover from this devastating storm.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
He should have just let it go and focused on getting Puerto Rico more help.

Dwelling on what we think Trump should do is a waste of time, honestly. The man does only what he wants to do; it's been discussed in many articles and by many psychologists.

Us consistently telling each other that we wish he'd do the "responsible" thing is futile, because Trump will continue to do only what Trump does best; and that is to simply be himself no matter how much we would like him to not be himself.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I'm not really even sure that she was attacking Trump directly. From the article, she seemed to be more upset about FEMA's requests for paperwork before they would send any help. I can see her point. If badly needed aid to the island is being delayed due to bureaucratic fools demanding paperwork, then someone has to take charge and kick some butts.

The article said it could take years before they'll be able to recover from this devastating storm.
She was actually responding to the DHS Secretary who said that she was happy about good news coverage about their response. Trump is just an idiot who reacts quickly and loudly before checking facts. That is the definition of a "buffoon".

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Sweet.

I also don't understand why he hasn't had his Twitter feed yanked for National Security concerns (and to give us all a break). It's like a late night infomercial crap flinging fest. Personally think his popularity would increase if he wasn't constantly rambling. I cannot imagine anyone around him telling him how great his twit tweets are.

*Trump reaches to pick up his smartphone*

Secret Service agent: "Great Scott, he's moving towards his smartphone. Somebody get in there immediately."

*A group of Secret Service agents surround Trump and knock him to the floor causing the smartphone to go flying*

Secret service agent: "Sorry sir. We had a National Security threat and have to get you out of here."
Trump: "What or who is it? Nancy Pelosi, the NFL, antifa, that Cruz lady?"
Secret Service agent: We cannot say, sir, other than it was a serious threat. (As she suppresses a grin.)
Trump: "Wow. You guys are great. Now let's get back to making this country great again."
Secret Service agent: "We try, sir. We really try." (Quietly sighs.)
Trump: "Can someone grab my hair? I think Agent Jim was standing on it behind the desk."

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The mayor was obviously unhinged and partisan.
False, as continued news reports have been coming in that shows that, as bad as San Juan is suffering, outer areas are even suffering more.

Also, the general who finally got the damage from Katrina taken care of was livid with the poor response from this administration, saying that only a large military presence can deal with what's going on, and it's already late.

Even though the administration did well with Texas and Florida, they've really dropped the ball on this one. They could see what was likely to happen, but they appeared to have been too distracted by the roll-out of the tax plan and the NFL, which is why Trump's tweets dealt mostly with the latter two.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
False, as continued news reports have been coming in that shows that, as bad as San Juan is suffering, outer areas are even suffering more.

Also, the general who finally got the damage from Katrina taken care of was livid with the poor response from this administration, saying that only a large military presence can deal with what's going on, and it's already late.

Even though the administration did well with Texas and Florida, they've really dropped the ball on this one. They could see what was likely to happen, but they appeared to have been too distracted by the roll-out of the tax plan and the NFL, which is why Trump's tweets dealt mostly with the latter two.

Ever wonder *why* they 'dropped the ball' on this one? Could it be that Trump and his followers don't consider Puerto Ricans to be 'real' US citizens?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To go back to the OP, true believers will remain true believers. Those who were upset at DC and voted for him to force a change figuring that things could not get worse will see things getting worse.

He even said as much that he shoot someone and his followers would continue to follow him in the the cult of Trump.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
He even said as much that he shoot someone and his followers would continue to follow him in the the cult of Trump.
That, sadly, is true of virtually any high profile politician. There will always be the adoring fans. IF Hillary shot someone on Broadway her die hard fans would prolly tweet on how much the person deserved it.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
The mayor was obviously unhinged and partisan.
lol. What? I do genuinely feel concerned that your reality is so entrenched in this nonsense that you would believe anything that came from his twitter page.