• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will There be Atheists in Heaven

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Assuming God reveals themselves, What if they don't?
Perhaps the atheist will be accepting of an afterlife, not necessarily a God. Unless everything is somehow revealed. I don't know how that part is supposed to work.

I see the answer to your question is really unknown.

The question may be will they still want to be tied into their own opinions, when they realise that death has brought on another life.

It has been offered that we transition to the next life in the spiritual state and condition that we obtained here on earth and that we will be made aware of our choices and chances we faced in life.

This is a quote from Abdu'lbaha

"In this world he must prepare himself for the life beyond. That which he needs in the world of the Kingdom must be obtained here."

Thus this life is heaven or it isour hell and what we will face, is what we have made of this life.

There is a lot written on the subject, but in the end it has not been disclosed in detail.

"Concerning your question whether a soul can receive knowledge of the Truth in the world beyond. Such a knowledge is surely possible, and is but a sign of the loving mercy of the Almighty. We can, through our prayers, help every soul to gradually attain this high station, even if it has failed to reach it in this world. The progress of the soul does not come to an end with death. It rather starts along a new line. Bahá’u’lláh teaches that great and far-reaching possibilities await the soul in the other world. Spiritual progress in that realm is infinite, and no man, while on this earth, can visualize its full power and extent."

Regards Tony

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Or whichever afterlife your belief/religion envisions?

Dear Nakosis

I think all life returns to source when it dies. Everything is reunited there and all that ever was experienced in separation, will from there make sense.

Whether that regained understanding in unification will be heaven- or hell-like, depends on the role one played in what was. This won’t be based on the “size” or “importance” of one’s role, but on whether one’s actions inspired and/or contributed to living Heavens or Hells in others, as one will now “feel” all their emotions too.

In life, Heaven is a state of mind - not of happiness, but of inner peace and trust and faith. Atheists who experience it may call it harmony - with self, others and the world - but perhaps it is harder for them to live in that space for more than short moments, because it may be more difficult to trust and be at peace with the world if one does not have faith (in what occurs, even when what occurs may be awful).

Even if one did not believe in God and/ or never got to live a moment of life in a state of Heaven/harmony, but one’s actions during life did not inspire and/or contribute to living hells in others, one’s “afterlife” will still be one in which all that was, makes perfect sense and one is at peace.

Humbly
Hermit

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Will There be Atheists in Heaven

Bible is very clear. As you sow, so shall you reap

Those who think about Hell a lot end up in Hell, all others go to Heaven

So, most Atheists, who dropped Hell thoughts, end up in Heaven

exchemist

Veteran Member
Assuming God reveals themselves, What if they don't?
Perhaps the atheist will be accepting of an afterlife, not necessarily a God. Unless everything is somehow revealed. I don't know how that part is supposed to work.
Yes, I am assuming the Christian God it is true, which may turn to be off-beam.

Yerda

Veteran Member
We're an obstinate bunch at times but I think even the most bitter atheist would have to accept that God exists if they wound up in heaven. So no, probably not.

leroy

My belief is that soon after you die you will experience an “out of body experience” where you will fly away from your body, perhaps visit your family and friends and then you will get some sort of “last chance” to accept the gift of going to heaven.

My guess is that The average atheist would accept the gift, after all such an experience would be sufficient evidence for most atheist.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I don't hate anybody. I don't have to. God 'll get around to 'em eventually. (You realize I'm just being sarcastic, I hope.)

I didn’t at first! So I’m glad you clarified haha. I don’t know you very well and we got a little heated in some of our first interactions. <3

idea

Question Everything
I meant your moral standards aren't really "moral", because they're subjective. Hence "justice" doesn't truly exist.

Everyone's moral standards are subjective. Everyone follows their opinion of what religion to follow, what book to trust, what crowd to be in.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

One would hope that mere belief isn’t a necessary requirement for heaven. That would be rather monstrous. Choices with infinite consequences should be informed choices, if they are to exist at all.

RestlessSoul

Well I don't know if atheists can get into heaven, but certainly if there are atheists in Heaven they will see there is Heaven so they won't be atheists any longer.

I think you underestimate the tenacity with which human beings cling to their fixed opinions ;)

If there is a heaven, and they let me in, I expect to find atheists there; belligerent ones included.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I think you underestimate the tenacity with which human beings cling to their fixed opinions ;)

If there is a heaven, and they let me in, I expect to find atheists there; belligerent ones included.
But of course they will all be repentant, otherwise the same strife here on Earth will extend into Heaven. And what about all those not believing in the one God? :oops:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
My guess is that The average atheist would accept the gift, after all such an experience would be sufficient evidence for most atheist.
And if not, they are crazy. Ergo, Hell is just a psychiatric ward.

Ciao

- viole

RestlessSoul

But of course they will all be repentant, otherwise the same strife here on Earth will extend into Heaven. And what about all those not believing in the one God? :oops:

Maybe, if there is a next life, there is strife in that one too. If there’s humans there, it’s pretty much a given that we’ll find a way to manufacture strife.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Maybe, if there is a next life, there is strife in that one too. If there’s humans there, it’s pretty much a given that we’ll find a way to manufacture strife.
So, not the paradise or Heaven that many seem to believe exists?