• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Obamacare raise the price of your pizza?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
And yet your health care system doesn't perform any better in terms of patient outcomes than countries with universal health care, all off whom pay about half what Americans pay or less. How do you figure this means the quality is likely to deteriorate? Either you spend as much as you spend now and it increases dramatically, or you spend half as much and it stays about the same. Hard to imagine the quality of US health care getting worse in my book, since some people don't have affordable access to health care at all.

How can the quality of health care not deteriorate when the current health care system does not have the ability to handle the number of people that would have access to health care, with this new law?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
How can the quality of health care not deteriorate when the current health care system does not have the ability to handle the number of people that would have access to health care, with this new law?
If you have a corrupt, broken system, and you streamline and fix it, why would you assume that it would function in the same way as the old system?

And as Alceste already noted, the US lags far behind other developed countries in basic health statistics, like infant mortality. Socialized medicine seems to be doing something right over there. Why assume that it would fail here, when it hasn't in other nations?

Lastly, I have always found the argument above to be supremely selfish. People are unwilling to give up a little convenience (e.g. having to wait longer), in order to allow other people to have access to healthcare. "I can't possibly share my cake with that starving person over there because that would mean I have less."

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Honestly I would gladly accept health care of a slightly lower quality if that's what it took to garuntee that I and my family (and everyone else for that matter) would always have access to health care. Though honestly I doubt that will be an issue. At most it would mean longer waiting lines... oh boo hoo, at least I wouldn't have to worry about being without insurance and unable to afford my own just because I've reached some arbitrary age limit. As it stands I might be one my own this january.

I really don't understand why people are so against the idea of raising taxes some in order to have things like universal health care and what not. I would gladly pay higher taxes for that.

Alceste

Vagabond
Honestly I would gladly accept health care of a slightly lower quality if that's what it took to garuntee that I and my family (and everyone else for that matter) would always have access to health care. Though honestly I doubt that will be an issue. At most it would mean longer waiting lines... oh boo hoo, at least I wouldn't have to worry about being without insurance and unable to afford my own just because I've reached some arbitrary age limit. As it stands I might be one my own this january.

I really don't understand why people are so against the idea of raising taxes some in order to have things like universal health care and what not. I would gladly pay higher taxes for that.

I think they aren't thinking of their private health care costs as a "tax". Really, what difference would paying a couple hundred dollars more a year make if it eliminates thousands of dollars worth of private health insurance costs?

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Welcome back! Glad you made it! Particularly to the east coast. Good people out that way.

Sorry, the comment "universal health care isn't free" provoked a Pavlovian response from me since I've so often heard it used as an argument against it by Americans who don't understand how it works, and don't realize it costs half as much as their system.

But I agree. Tax on unhealthy stuff is a great concept. I only wish they were more careful to ensure that revenue was earmarked for health care instead of being used for other things.

The maritimes have been full of merry times for sure, my Friend.
It's gooooood to be home.

Despite my birth-country I knew instantly the health-care scene here, while not perfect, was exponentially better, and has no doubt increased my quality of life and peace of mind for others as well.

Alceste

Vagabond
The maritimes have been full of merry times for sure, my Friend.
It's gooooood to be home.

Despite my birth-country I knew instantly the health-care scene here, while not perfect, was exponentially better, and has no doubt increased my quality of life and peace of mind for others as well.

Nobody's health care system is perfect. Bodies are complicated and pain, disease and death are inevitable. Nevertheless, it's nice to know they'll do their best to help you and your loved ones whenever you need it, without ever sending you a bill.

Alceste

Vagabond

The vast amount of waste that currently goes into maintaining multiple private administrative bodies and increasing corporate profits could be used to expand and improve front line services. Either that, or you could reduce your wasted spending and keep front line services the same.

What gives you the idea that the current US system will be overloaded? It seems to me anybody with a green light from their private insurer or a wheelbarrow full of cash can get treatment wherever and whenever they want it. That doesn't sound like you're pushing the limits to me. Letting everybody have access to health care doesn't suddenly make more people sick, and most people only go to the doctor when they need to. Also, the law of supply and demand still applies. As more people try to book regular visits to a GP, more med school graduates will open practices. Their own administrative overhead will be reduced: They will likely be dealing with one insurer (the government) with a fixed fee schedule and guaranteed payments, no co-pays to fuss with, no dealing with multiple insurance companies, no fine print, no need to meddle with collection agencies to put the squeeze on people who can't pay. Even at the GP level, less administrative overhead means more money for front line services.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I'm not sure about your implicit assumptions in your questions, but setting that aside for the moment, in health care, a stitch in time really does save nine.

When someone doesn't have insurance, often, they won't see a family doctor and instead will only seek care when a problem becomes so large it can't be ignored, at which point, they may be ready for the hospital. Give people access to regular exams and routine health care and you'll nip many problems in the bud before they get to the point that they need major intervention.

Shermana

Heretic
If this price increase of 15 cents or so per pizza is representative of the price increases we'll see on other products, sounds like extreme hysteria. Oh my, a 1% increase. Not like the price cartels which the Free Market enables are responsible for basic goods being twice their true market value. The real factors behind inflation and lack of affordability of basic goods is all artificial from greedy trust mongers.

Shermana

Heretic
I'm going to compile a list of companies that spend money received from patronage on political issues I disagree with and I'm going to stop doing business with those companies. No more Papa Johns for me.

I'm tired of funding causes that aren't in my best interests because I've been too apathetic to check where my money goes after I spend it.

If more people did that, such a better place this world be! If everyone would stop doing business with the companies that exploit them and oppose the interests of the small time producers and consumers, the economic playing field would start to level. I wish everyone would start with Monsanto.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The quality of our health care is already far behind other nations. As for a lack of doctors, the length you have to be in school and the staggering debt you'll acquire tends to leave alot of people stopping at a masters degree, and in many cases the potential earnings will not offset the cost of obtaining a doctorates. It is a problem with our education system, not health system.

Shermana

Heretic
The quality of our health care is already far behind other nations. As for a lack of doctors, the length you have to be in school and the staggering debt you'll acquire tends to leave alot of people stopping at a masters degree, and in many cases the potential earnings will not offset the cost of obtaining a doctorates. It is a problem with our education system, not health system.

Not to mention the fact that many doctors are corrupt and like to bilk the Insurance as much as possible regardless of the conditions of their patients. I'm really starting to love the Free Market more than ever (Sarcasm).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If more people did that, such a better place this world be! If everyone would stop doing business with the companies that exploit them and oppose the interests of the small time producers and consumers, the economic playing field would start to level. I wish everyone would start with Monsanto.
I try to avoid places that support bad places, although all I'll admit I'm not the best at keeping up with who supports what. It can also be pretty hard, especially with things like knowing what pharmaceutical companies that support bad causes and what medications they make. Such as Pfizer and Elli Lilly, both of which are ALEC members and the only thing I know that either company makes is Elli Lilly makes Prozac. And sometimes there aren't any options, such as with AT&T and how it is the only phone company that offers service where I live and the only cell phone company that gets good reception in the area.

Skwim

Veteran Member
hcbc.jpg

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Nobody's health care system is perfect. Bodies are complicated and pain, disease and death are inevitable. Nevertheless, it's nice to know they'll do their best to help you and your loved ones whenever you need it, without ever sending you a bill.

No need to defend it. I like it. I agree with it. No worries.

I was born in America, true... but that doesn't mean my every comment about Canada is bashing it. ;) I moved here to be Canadian, not to proselytize **hugs**

Alceste

Vagabond
No need to defend it. I like it. I agree with it. No worries.

I was born in America, true... but that doesn't mean my every comment about Canada is bashing it. ;) I moved here to be Canadian, not to proselytize **hugs**

Ha, I wasn't even trying to be defensive. I was trying to agree with you, and add a few more thoughts on the subject. Lol. Hugs back.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ha, I wasn't even trying to be defensive. I was trying to agree with you, and add a few more thoughts on the subject. Lol. Hugs back.
I'm glad Nixon cancelled the draft.
I'd hate to have to move to a place where people hug each other all the time.
All the touching & PDA here is bad enuf.

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm glad Nixon cancelled the draft.
I'd hate to have to move to a place where people hug each other all the time.
All the touching & PDA here is bad enuf.

Wait'll the francophones get here, then it'll be double cheek kisses. You don't know the meaning of awkward until you've tried to learn the double cheek kiss.