• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Israeli government fall?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I doubt it will fall, but I do hope it becomes more responsive to all of its citizens. That is what democracy is about, after all.

Levite

Higher and Higher
I doubt it will fall, but I do hope it becomes more responsive to all of its citizens. That is what democracy is about, after all.

Seconded.

Israel's government is unlikely to fall: in general, its elections function well enough that revolution is unnecessary, though of course, as the current protests show, reforms are clearly needed to remedy widespread corruption once the elected take office. Besides, Israelis are too conscious of security to permit the utter chaos of a popular revolt.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The protests in Israel continue to get larger.

Indeed. Not to worry, I am sure Bibi and the boys are watching closely. You see, that is the neat thing in democracies. We let people demonstrate, as long as they don't riot, all is fine. If their voices reach critical mass, the Israeli parliament will hear and consider their requests.
Will the Israeli government be the next to fall?
Unlikely. Israel is not a dictatorship with unhappy citizens chomping at the bit. These demonstrators know that their government will act if they remain reasonable and if their demands are fair. Such cannot be said for the Muslim countries in the region that have toppled their dictators... only likely to replace them with new dictators. Heck, at first, even Hitler was loved by the masses...

Alceste

Vagabond
I don't know if "fall" is the right word for what happens to an unpopular government in a democracy. I think "get fired" is more like it. I sure do hope Netanyahu and his henchmen get fired, and soon. There are some very difficult times ahead, globally, and the fewer right-wing authoritarian governments we have in the world, the better off we'll all be. (Except the arms dealers.)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They could always contract out the running of the country to Revoltistan.
We could have'm revolting in no time.

Flankerl

I don't know if "fall" is the right word for what happens to an unpopular government in a democracy. I think "get fired" is more like it. I sure do hope Netanyahu and his henchmen get fired, and soon. There are some very difficult times ahead, globally, and the fewer right-wing authoritarian governments we have in the world, the better off we'll all be. (Except the arms dealers.)

Too bad there is no alternative in Israel. But hey who cares.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Unless Israelis get some normal people in office, instead of war mongering bigots, then the country will always treat Palestinians as second class citizens and will eventually be struck down.

Alceste

Vagabond
Moderate and left wing parties in Israel are simply about who wants to hand over everything to the Arabs faster, with more taxes.

I've said before that Israel can't be both a democracy and maintain a Jewish national character. They're just not making babies fast enough. Perhaps leftists simply believe in democracy more than they believe in Jewish supremacy.

erelsgl

There is some evidence that the protest was initially funded by political rivals of the the current PM, Netanyahu, masked by a series of new NGOs such as "The coalition for achievable appartments" and others. A very similar thing happened at 1999, with the same PM. Many NGO organizations were funded about a year before the elections, organized protests, and disappeared right after Netanyahu lost the elections. If Netanyahu doesn't learn the lesson, it may happen again this time.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
There is some evidence that the protest was initially funded by political rivals of the the current PM, Netanyahu, masked by a series of new NGOs such as "The coalition for achievable appartments" and others. A very similar thing happened at 1999, with the same PM. Many NGO organizations were funded about a year before the elections, organized protests, and disappeared right after Netanyahu lost the elections. If Netanyahu doesn't learn the lesson, it may happen again this time.

If that's true, then I think it would be quite sad.

The people protesting have raised some legitimate issues and the government needs to address them. If the organization simply disappears after the election without ensuring that the new administration does something productive, then it will have been a bad situation that leaves the public without a resolution and the problems unresolved.

A

angellous_evangellous

Seconded.

Israel's government is unlikely to fall: in general, its elections function well enough that revolution is unnecessary, though of course, as the current protests show, reforms are clearly needed to remedy widespread corruption once the elected take office. Besides, Israelis are too conscious of security to permit the utter chaos of a popular revolt.

It seems to me that governments have been unsuccessful in preventing popular revolts. After all - as we have seen - those responsible for implementing the necessary security can either refuse orders or even join the revolts. If a popular revolt occurs, there's no stopping it.

But I don't think that there is enough anti-Israeli sentiment in Israel for a revolution.

erelsgl

If that's true, then I think it would be quite sad.

The people protesting have raised some legitimate issues and the government needs to address them. If the organization simply disappears after the election without ensuring that the new administration does something productive, then it will have been a bad situation that leaves the public without a resolution and the problems unresolved.

I really hope the government will address the issues, and not wait for the elections.

One interesting outcome of the protest was the creation of a government site, where everyone can propose any idea for improving the social situation in Israel, and also vote for other ideas. The best ideas were considered by a committee of experts.

This may be the first step (albeit a small step) towards some form of direct democracy

A

angellous_evangellous

This may be the first step (albeit a small step) towards some form of direct democracy

Ah, the good old days of Athens.

We've learned nothing since then, so let's go back.