• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Israeli government fall?

Levite

Higher and Higher
It seems to me that governments have been unsuccessful in preventing popular revolts. After all - as we have seen - those responsible for implementing the necessary security can either refuse orders or even join the revolts. If a popular revolt occurs, there's no stopping it.

Agreed. But I didn't say "the Israeli government." I said "Israelis." I mean the populace in general is too conscious of security to permit themselves to descend into sustained civil chaos, if for no other reason than that everyone knows such an occasion would be vigorously exploited by terrorists.

A

angellous_evangellous

Agreed. But I didn't say "the Israeli government." I said "Israelis." I mean the populace in general is too conscious of security to permit themselves to descend into sustained civil chaos, if for no other reason than that everyone knows such an occasion would be vigorously exploited by terrorists.

That's what direct democracy is.

But I think that you're overestimating the Israeli people. I don't think that they will revolt because they don't have a reason to do so, but if the reason were a worthy enough cause, it would be a strike against them if they refused to revolt on account of some prudish committment to security. That's just my opinion.

But moving from what Israel has now to direct democracy would be a significant step down and, IMHO, make its defeat swift. The Arabs would eat Israel alive.

A

angellous_evangellous

I don't know the ratio of civilians to police to military, but I think that it would be stressful but plausible for the military leadership to protect the country and the police to deal with security during revolts.

Israel has one of the best militaries and police forces on earth - they can walk and chew gum at the same time.

But again, IMHO, this scenerio is a moot point because there's not going to be extended revolts in Israel.

Flankerl

Really? No moderate or left-wing parties? I didn't know that.

Of course there are such parties. The problem is that they arent very popular.

You know in the 90s the israeli public was so much pro peace that its quite unbelievable seen from today.

But then the centre left basically couldnt achieve peace(with big help from Arafat) and the palestinians went intifada on the israelis.
You could say that it kind of ruined the moment.

Moderate and left wing parties in Israel are simply about who wants to hand over everything to the Arabs faster, with more taxes.

So thats why Israel only handed over territory when Likud was in power. :sarcastic

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I really hope the government will address the issues, and not wait for the elections.

One interesting outcome of the protest was the creation of a government site, where everyone can propose any idea for improving the social situation in Israel, and also vote for other ideas. The best ideas were considered by a committee of experts.

This may be the first step (albeit a small step) towards some form of direct democracy
Direct Democracy? As in mob rule? That always leads to ethical treatment of minorities

Shermana

Heretic
America isn't even really a Democracy, it's a Republic with supposedly Democratic elections, and technically the Electoral Collage isn't all that representative of the national collective will. Despite Obama's win on both collage and popular, there is a vast discrepancy in just how wide the margin was going by the electoral system.

November 7th - CNN is showing Obama 65,200,194 to MCcain 57,225,838 a difference of 7,974 360. Electoral votes were: Obama - 364 MCcain - 163
Is this Democracy? Does a system in which a 10% or so difference in popular vote means a 2:1 difference in the collage?