• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would somebody willingly become a Satanist?

Satan tempted Jesus to eat rocks. That is what a 3-year old tries to do to their parents. Like what kind of mindset do Satanists have? I just don't see it.
Why do Satanists believe that Satan is better in their view to God?
Why do many, but not all, Satanists get absurd amounts of tattoos and piercings? Is it just a style choice or a meaning behind it?
From the limited interactions with Satanists I've had, they have this attitude where they believe it is okay to hurt others because they were hurt by someone else. How do they justify that and where does this attitude come from?

Viker

Häxan
Satanists don't accept the interpretation of Satan from the Holy Bible, they see it as fallacious. Many of them see Satan as symbolic of human nature. A lot of them embrace the Satan of modern romantic literature, a Satan articulated beginning at and within the age of enlightenment. A rejection of ancient wisdom and so-called morality.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Satan tempted Jesus to eat rocks. That is what a 3-year old tries to do to their parents. Like what kind of mindset do Satanists have? I just don't see it.
Why do many, but not all, Satanists get absurd amounts of tattoos and piercings? Is it just a style choice or a meaning behind it?
From the limited interactions with Satanists I've had, they have this attitude where they believe it is okay to hurt others because they were hurt by someone else. How do they justify that and where does this attitude come from?
We Baha’is view Satan as the lower self, ego or insistent self. The Bible had to try and portray this lower self that tempts us to commit evil deeds to the people of an unscientific and uneducated generation so it used metaphors and symbols. But when Baha’u’llah appeared, He explained it was symbolic of our baser human instincts.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Also I think that many people are searching for meaning in life so go with things which may be different not necessarily good or true but provide some sort of novelty.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Perhaps for the same reason some people become theists or deists. A willingness to believe what they can't demonstrate, for reasons they do not understand very well at all.

Viker

Häxan
Perhaps for the same reason some people become theists or deists. A willingness to believe what they can't demonstrate, for reasons they do not understand very well at all.
That's no where near modern established Satanism. There's nothing in modern Satanism that can't be demonstrated. Even their concept of magic is based solely on ritualized catharsis, believing if something were to come of it, it's by mere coincidence or chance and not actual magic or supernatural agency.

Viker

Häxan
It seems to me that many people are basing their idea of what a Satanist is solely on fundamentalist evangelical sources, sensationalist journalism, Hollywood tropes and/or their own perception of what Satan/Satanism represents. Completely ignoring that there have been well documented, established and codified actual Satanist groups for the last nearly 60 years.

It seems to me that many people are basing their idea of what a Satanist is solely on fundamentalist evangelical sources, sensationalist journalism, Hollywood tropes and/or their own perception of what Satan/Satanism represents. Completely ignoring that there have been well documented, established and codified actual Satanist groups for the last nearly 60 years.
As mentioned in the bible, there were satanic cults in modern-day Turkey (Asia Minor).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Probably need to forget all that and learn what Satanism really is. Like how Satanists reject the Bible and largely and mostly don't believe in the existence of Biblical characters.
Absurd amount of tattoos and piercings? That's a jugement call that's artificially trying to say your ways (fewer to none) is better. But it's not. Some have piercings and tattoos, it's only absurd to those who want to judge.
What kind of mindset? You know their are books and groups and even forums you can directly approach to learn from?
The LHP, of which Satanism belongs (though it's Westernized), actually comes from anancient Hindu sect, Vamachara, meanimg left hamded path, is a heterodox spiritual path that involved priests who would break taboos and norms during their rituals.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Most satanists I've met have been pretty down to earth folks. I'd say most atheists and satanists would have more in common than they'd think initially. For instance, satanists sacrifice babies and we eat them, so we make natural allies for sure

Esteban X

We've obviously met very different Satanists. In my experience They have the occasional piercing or tattoo but no more than the average population, and its just a fashion statement. They don't even believe in Satan. As for "an eye for an eye", I think we all know where that comes from.