• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would God allow tragedy?

dianaiad

Earlier this year, my best friend passed away after a two year battle with Ewing's Sarcoma (Bone Cancer) at the age of 18. He didn't choose that, nothing he could have done would have allowed him to live longer. Why would a loving God allow him to suffer? Why wouldn't he step in and heal him, when we know he has the power to do so? I prayed every day for a miracle, and heard nothing in return. Why would God even let cancer exist?

A few months after the passing of my best friend, a classmate of mine that was the same age died in a car accident. It was a freak thing, he couldn't have done anything better. He was a boy of such faith. He trusted God with everything in his life, and I can't help but wonder why God would repay him by ending his life a day before he was supposed to graduate.

My class graduated with 2 empty seats. Why didn't God intervene? Every single one of us has been impacted and changed from this. Maybe I've started to appreciate life more, but that doesn't change the fact that those two people died, and I can't accept that they died so the rest of us could learn something. Their lives are just as valuable as mine.

God had the ability to stop these things, because God can do anything, so why didn't he? If you have any answers, or anything to help this make a little more sense, I would absolutely love to hear form you. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, and I'm sorry it was a little depressing.

this is hard.

I have two things....first, everybody dies of something. Really, We all will. Some sooner, some later, some take longer...for some it's quicker. We don't know why. It could be a simple matter of, well, that's life.

The other thing is this: we don't know WHY one of your friends had cancer. I don't know why I do. I have a sneaking suspicion, but I don't KNOW. It could just be..one of his cells rebelled. It happens. As to your other friend, who died in the accident, I can tell you why he died. It was because someone made a choice. Perhaps he did...perhaps the driver of the other car did, SOMEone made a choice and your friend's death was one of the consequences. This is the problem with free will, Katie. It's very, very hard.

But God can't give us our free will AND rescue everybody. The two things are simply not logically compatible. You can't have both. What we can do is simply live on and make our own choices knowing that they WILL have consequences, and not only for us, personally.

The really important thing is to remember our past friends, learn from their lives and our own experiences, and be happy anyway.

Etritonakin

Earlier this year, my best friend passed away after a two year battle with Ewing's Sarcoma (Bone Cancer) at the age of 18. He didn't choose that, nothing he could have done would have allowed him to live longer. Why would a loving God allow him to suffer? Why wouldn't he step in and heal him, when we know he has the power to do so? I prayed every day for a miracle, and heard nothing in return. Why would God even let cancer exist?

A few months after the passing of my best friend, a classmate of mine that was the same age died in a car accident. It was a freak thing, he couldn't have done anything better. He was a boy of such faith. He trusted God with everything in his life, and I can't help but wonder why God would repay him by ending his life a day before he was supposed to graduate.

My class graduated with 2 empty seats. Why didn't God intervene? Every single one of us has been impacted and changed from this. Maybe I've started to appreciate life more, but that doesn't change the fact that those two people died, and I can't accept that they died so the rest of us could learn something. Their lives are just as valuable as mine.

God had the ability to stop these things, because God can do anything, so why didn't he? If you have any answers, or anything to help this make a little more sense, I would absolutely love to hear form you. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, and I'm sorry it was a little depressing.

(sorry in advance for the bold, large, etc., etc., -but this is important!)

Why would God allow tragedy..... TEMPORARILY?

Because he has already planned to "wipe away every tear" and "make all things new".

It was absolutely necessary TEMPORARILY. He "gave the creation over to futility in hope" -because it was not his intention to make happy and ignorant humans who lived a while, but to make gods (I said "ye are gods"). The answer is given early on in Genesis... "YOU MUST MASTER IT". We are given a relatively short human life to learn the lessons necessary for an eternal life.
Our present experience can range from beautiful to horrific -but it is written that "the former things will not be remembered or called to mind" (just as few can recall learning to tie their shoes, but have mastered it).

God allowed things such as disease -leaving the creation to be affected by misuse and neglect because it creates within us a vacuum and a drive to make things right -but all ill effects will be nullified.

God is concerned with our LONG TERM well-being AND OUR ABILITY TO GO OUT INTO THE UNIVERSE WITHOUT RECREATING THIS HORRIBLE MESS. Your friend will not only live again, but will be given a body with extreme power to create throughout the universe.

Philippians 3:21 King James Version (KJV)
21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

For thus says the LORD, Who created the heavens, Who is God, Who formed the earth and made it, Who has established it, Who did not create it in vain, Who formed it to be inhabited: “I am the LORD, and there is no other.

Romans 8:18-23 King James Version (KJV) [creature=creation]
18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”
5Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” And He said to me, “Write, for these words are true and faithful.”

the former troubles are forgotten, and because they are hid from mine eyes.
For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.
But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create:

God LITERALLY remembers everything about your friend -LITERALLY has a record of them -and is able to RE-MEMBER THEM. This is an extreme oversimplification, but true.... We are all an arrangement of that which has always existed. At death we are dis-arranged, but God is able to arrange us again -only better!

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Earlier this year, my best friend passed away after a two year battle with Ewing's Sarcoma (Bone Cancer) at the age of 18.
Hallo Katie,

Those are the really tough experiences in life, and hard to understand why this happens. Esp. if you believe in God, being almighty and talking about Love in the Scriptures; why does God allows this to happen?

God had the ability to stop these things, because God can do anything, so why didn't he? If you have any answers, or anything to help this make a little more sense, I would absolutely love to hear form you
My brother died at a very, very young age. Affecting the whole family. My Master said "Life is temporary, don't worry about it. He just needed this short time on earth to experience and now he returned to God. But I know it pains you a lot, so I will help you with your grief".

For me this helped, but that was personal, so probably it won't help you.

Maybe you could ask God (if you believe) "Please God, I need You to help me with this, I can't solve this".

I wish you all the strength you need and hope you find your way out of this pain

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

It is indeed a cause of great sorrow to witness these things as we are human but tragedy is questionable because we cannot see the end result. To us, all we can see is this person’s life here not beyond.

Let’s say for arguments sake you once were a baby in a womb. To you nothing could be a worse tragedy than leaving that world to ‘die’ so, being unaware of the world that awaited you it would have seemed a tragedy and a great injustice.

But honestly would you rather have remained in the womb than be born into this world?
The pain, suffering and tests that we each need to go through to be ‘born’ into the next world or dimension may differ from individual to individual.

We don’t know the role suffering and pain plays in death but we do know it is an essential characteristic of birth. When we are being born it is with the worst pain ever.

Being born into another world might necessarily cause great pain. Our ignorance of their happiness and wellbeing in that other reality of course makes us grieve and ask questions here. But in time I believe we will come to realise that we are all just passing through this world on a much longer journey and look forward to the next greater reality than staying here forever.

MonkeyFire

God doesn't have to allow evil to exist for it to lie and kanive its way into existence, and that enables suffering.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Earlier this year, my best friend passed away after a two year battle with Ewing's Sarcoma (Bone Cancer) at the age of 18. [...]

A few months after the passing of my best friend, a classmate of mine that was the same age died in a car accident. [...]

God intervenes in such matters at exactly the same rate as chance would account for.

Grief is a natural part of life, a natural part of love. You and I wouldn't be the only ones here who know it hurts.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Any God that allows tragedy is an EVIL God not worth worshiping, who doesn't exist.
:). I agree, EVIL God does not exist

LOL! How can a god who doesn't exist be evil, pray tell?
I read who as "EVIL God". Probably because I only see a Loving God, I'm not into this Hell and Doom God.

I also don't believe in God being judgmental (that seems more of a human trait), hence God might not see "tragedy" where humans see "tragedy". Hence again, such a God does not exist.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Hi Katie,

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I’m sorry for your loss.

I am a medical doctor and also believe in the God of the Christian Bible. I have two teenage children.

Over the years I have seen many people with illnesses of all ages. Sometimes people die. Of course eventually we pass from this world and I truly believe the world beyond is a much better place than the one here. Its especially difficult when young people die. I was present when both my parents died. That was hard but the hardest thing would be the death of one of my children.

In my experience as a doctor, God rarely intervenes. Instead he expects people who care for the sick to play their part. Through the development of medical science there have been many breakthroughs in being able to heal people. Life expectancy throughout the world has improved dramatically in recent decades through advances in health and education that are being universally applied throughout the planet. Still Ewings Sarcoma is a rare bone cancer that affects young people and we don’t know enough about it to successfully cure everyone. Your friend dying reminds us we must continually strive towards excellence in research and health care. This is a bounty from God in this age. In the meantime I believe your friend is in a better place. Its us being separated from our loved ones that causes us grief. In reality we should see death as a messenger of Joy for your friend is released from the restrictions of this material world and now exists in the realm of the spirit closer to God.

That is my personal perspective amidst the reflections of my much more enlightened brothers and sisters on RF. May God bless and comfort you in your journey.

Kind Regards
Adrian

Faithofchristian

Because man is always rebellious against God. As God tried to get humans to obey him, but humans wants to do things their way. So God left humans to themselves. Therefore for every sickness humans only brings upon themselves.
All because it's humans nature to be rebellious against God.

As God thru his word in the Bible/Scriptures.tells humans how to live. But humans always to do things their way without God in the picture. Therefore humans brings things sickness upon themselves.

Phaedrus

When it seems as though we are living in a world where god does not exist, we are. Doubt is reason attempting to knock you out of your cognitive dissonance.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
As one who has also suffered loss, I understand your confusion, just as I understand the concerns and questions of the OP @Katieb123

Humans chose to invite suffering and death into their lives in the beginning, despite God's attempts to protect them from evil things ever entering their lives.

Their choice affected all their children because they chose another god and obeyed him instead of the Creator. By allowing them free will (which was originally given as a gift) God wanted them to use it to the betterment of themselves and others, but satan abused his free will and influenced humans to do it too. He promoted a self focused life, doing only what benefited themselves......Misery, suffering and death have resulted ever since.

If God intervened to prevent the natural consequences of man's disobedience, we would never have benefited from the lesson.
The fact that we can suffer in this life and still maintain our faith is proof that it is possible to put the blame for all tragedy at the feet of the one who actually caused it......it wasn't God, but his inadequate rival....puffed up with his own importance....with no regard for their eternal welfare.

This life is not permanent .......so death is not permanent either. (Revelation 21:2-4)
Death to the Creator is something easy to reverse. Like waking someone from sleep as Jesus raised Lazarus. (John 11:1-46)

The healing and resurrection miracles of the first century were merely a demonstration of what was to come in the future when God's kingdom "comes" to rid the earth of all God's opposers.

Those who have lost loved ones in death will see them returned to life and reunited with their loved ones.

There is nothing fair about life in this world that is ruled by God's enemy, (1 John 5:19) but telling intelligent creatures that obedience to God is for their benefit is often not enough.....they have to experience the consequences of their choices for themselves. Experience is the best teacher....but it did not need to be so. God never intended for us to suffer at all.

We all have the opportunity to prove that the devil is a lousy ruler and god.....by our response to his evil influence in this world.....we can become part of it...or we can live our lives as God approves, in spite of the wickedness demonstrated in this world.

Understanding what God is doing, and why he has handled things this way, is very important because the devil will twist the truth and make it appear to be all God's fault. How many people think so? :( Sad.

While I appreciate the sermon, I already have an understanding, which has been explained in my first post of this thread.

My question was directed specifically toward the comments of @lostwanderingsoul. Since they made the statement, I’d like their take on my questions.

leov

Because you didn’t offer a ‘with.’
There two views about it from 'outside' and 'inside', nobody really offer reasons from inside, only guesses. Just it is the way things are. Physical world is a 'theater', we think it is real.

lostwanderingsoul

While I appreciate the sermon, I already have an understanding, which has been explained in my first post of this thread.

My question was directed specifically toward the comments of @lostwanderingsoul. Since they made the statement, I’d like their take on my questions.
Bad things happen to people when it is not their fault. If you are driving your car and obeying all the traffic laws, someone else can run a stop sign and cause injury or death. Not your fault but someone else was not following the law. If everyone followed the rules there would be no traffic accidents. The same is true in other areas of life. Maybe you are healthy but a sick person sneezes near you and you get sick. If everyone followed God's rules there would be less sickness and suffering. God is letting people "do their own thing" and the results are pain and suffering for innocent people.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

This is what’s called “theodicy.” And it’s a tough thing to consider. Yes, God is love, kindness and power. But the one thing we have to do is start with the world as it is, not as we wish it to be. Human beings are susceptible and vulnerable to the vicissitudes of life. We are mortal. We get hurt, we get sick, we die. God isn’t like a magic genie. God doesn’t do our bidding if we rub the lamp properly. Our existence is in God — whether we live or die, we are God’s. God loves us enough to let us live our lives as we choose.

I believe that we cause our own illnesses by living our lives out of balance. When we are in balance, we achieve wholeness; that balance is available to everyone who seeks it.

Death is not the worst thing, nor is it the end. Nature tells us that nothing can be destroyed; only changed. We live many lives, all of them in God. No one can be separated from the love of a God, no matter their state. Your friends are fine. God loves them and God loves you — enough to allow you the freedom to be human.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Bad things happen to people when it is not their fault. If you are driving your car and obeying all the traffic laws, someone else can run a stop sign and cause injury or death. Not your fault but someone else was not following the law. If everyone followed the rules there would be no traffic accidents. The same is true in other areas of life. Maybe you are healthy but a sick person sneezes near you and you get sick. If everyone followed God's rules there would be less sickness and suffering. God is letting people "do their own thing" and the results are pain and suffering for innocent people.

But you said in your previous post that these tragedies happen because people chose to ignore God and pay the price because they ignore the rules.

Now you say that bad things happen to people even if it's not their fault. So it would appear that you are now saying that bad things happen to people that don't ignore God and follow the rules. Either that or you're saying that it wasn't their fault that they ignored God and didn't follow his rules.

Regardless, the question remains, why does your God make the innocent suffer?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think it's more than asking why, as opposed to realization that it's the way the universe works.

The indigenous proverb...

"We don't own the land, the land owns us".

Helps with acceptance and coping with the realities.

lostwanderingsoul

But you said in your previous post that these tragedies happen because people chose to ignore God and pay the price because they ignore the rules.

Now you say that bad things happen to people even if it's not their fault. So it would appear that you are now saying that bad things happen to people that don't ignore God and follow the rules. Either that or you're saying that it wasn't their fault that they ignored God and didn't follow his rules.

Regardless, the question remains, why does your God make the innocent suffer?
People in general do not follow God's rules and cause harm to innocent people. God never makes the innocent suffer. Other people make the innocent suffer. The only solution is for EVERYONE to do the right thing all of the time. I am truly sorry that anyone close to you has suffered harm and I am sure it was NOT their fault. But until the whole world changes and follows God's plan, innocent people will suffer. It is one reason Christians pray, "thy kingdom come, thy will be done." When God's kingdom comes to earth, then people will suffer no more. And the kingdom WILL be on earth and not in Heaven or in people's hearts as some mistakenly believe. It is the only hope humans have.