• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would God allow tragedy?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Earlier this year, my best friend passed away after a two year battle with Ewing's Sarcoma (Bone Cancer) at the age of 18. He didn't choose that, nothing he could have done would have allowed him to live longer. Why would a loving God allow him to suffer? Why wouldn't he step in and heal him, when we know he has the power to do so? I prayed every day for a miracle, and heard nothing in return. Why would God even let cancer exist?

A few months after the passing of my best friend, a classmate of mine that was the same age died in a car accident. It was a freak thing, he couldn't have done anything better. He was a boy of such faith. He trusted God with everything in his life, and I can't help but wonder why God would repay him by ending his life a day before he was supposed to graduate.

My class graduated with 2 empty seats. Why didn't God intervene? Every single one of us has been impacted and changed from this. Maybe I've started to appreciate life more, but that doesn't change the fact that those two people died, and I can't accept that they died so the rest of us could learn something. Their lives are just as valuable as mine.

God had the ability to stop these things, because God can do anything, so why didn't he? If you have any answers, or anything to help this make a little more sense, I would absolutely love to hear form you. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, and I'm sorry it was a little depressing.
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.
I would like to give you information which addresses those questions in a reasonable way, from the Bible. You can PM me.

nPeace

Veteran Member
(sorry in advance for the bold, large, etc., etc., -but this is important!)

Why would God allow tragedy..... TEMPORARILY?

Because he has already planned to "wipe away every tear" and "make all things new".

It was absolutely necessary TEMPORARILY. He "gave the creation over to futility in hope" -because it was not his intention to make happy and ignorant humans who lived a while, but to make gods (I said "ye are gods"). The answer is given early on in Genesis... "YOU MUST MASTER IT". We are given a relatively short human life to learn the lessons necessary for an eternal life.
Our present experience can range from beautiful to horrific -but it is written that "the former things will not be remembered or called to mind" (just as few can recall learning to tie their shoes, but have mastered it).

God allowed things such as disease -leaving the creation to be affected by misuse and neglect because it creates within us a vacuum and a drive to make things right -but all ill effects will be nullified.

God is concerned with our LONG TERM well-being AND OUR ABILITY TO GO OUT INTO THE UNIVERSE WITHOUT RECREATING THIS HORRIBLE MESS. Your friend will not only live again, but will be given a body with extreme power to create throughout the universe.

Philippians 3:21 King James Version (KJV)
21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

For thus says the LORD, Who created the heavens, Who is God, Who formed the earth and made it, Who has established it, Who did not create it in vain, Who formed it to be inhabited: “I am the LORD, and there is no other.

Romans 8:18-23 King James Version (KJV) [creature=creation]
18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”
5Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” And He said to me, “Write, for these words are true and faithful.”

the former troubles are forgotten, and because they are hid from mine eyes.
For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.
But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create:

God LITERALLY remembers everything about your friend -LITERALLY has a record of them -and is able to RE-MEMBER THEM. This is an extreme oversimplification, but true.... We are all an arrangement of that which has always existed. At death we are dis-arranged, but God is able to arrange us again -only better!
Nice scriptures.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Hallo Katie,

Those are the really tough experiences in life, and hard to understand why this happens. Esp. if you believe in God, being almighty and talking about Love in the Scriptures; why does God allows this to happen?

My brother died at a very, very young age. Affecting the whole family. My Master said "Life is temporary, don't worry about it. He just needed this short time on earth to experience and now he returned to God. But I know it pains you a lot, so I will help you with your grief".

For me this helped, but that was personal, so probably it won't help you.

Maybe you could ask God (if you believe) "Please God, I need You to help me with this, I can't solve this".

I wish you all the strength you need and hope you find your way out of this pain
Sorry to hear of your loss. Acts 24:15

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Earlier this year, my best friend passed away after a two year battle with Ewing's Sarcoma (Bone Cancer) at the age of 18. He didn't choose that, nothing he could have done would have allowed him to live longer. Why would a loving God allow him to suffer? Why wouldn't he step in and heal him, when we know he has the power to do so? I prayed every day for a miracle, and heard nothing in return. Why would God even let cancer exist?

A few months after the passing of my best friend, a classmate of mine that was the same age died in a car accident. It was a freak thing, he couldn't have done anything better. He was a boy of such faith. He trusted God with everything in his life, and I can't help but wonder why God would repay him by ending his life a day before he was supposed to graduate.

My class graduated with 2 empty seats. Why didn't God intervene? Every single one of us has been impacted and changed from this. Maybe I've started to appreciate life more, but that doesn't change the fact that those two people died, and I can't accept that they died so the rest of us could learn something. Their lives are just as valuable as mine.

God had the ability to stop these things, because God can do anything, so why didn't he? If you have any answers, or anything to help this make a little more sense, I would absolutely love to hear form you. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, and I'm sorry it was a little depressing.
We live in an age of modern miracles, in my experience, but like in old time they don't happen enough to be generally recognized.

Tom Sawyer

God had the ability to stop these things, because God can do anything, so why didn't he? If you have any answers, or anything to help this make a little more sense, I would absolutely love to hear form you. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, and I'm sorry it was a little depressi

Tom Sawyer

I'm agnostic and find the Idea of God fascinating. At any rate the "Why does God allow Tragedy" question is one you can find an answer for in the Bible, whether you believe in it or not. It straight up explains it. It's not one of the game breaker conundrums and it's literally found in the first chapter, "Genesis". God initially didn't intend for it to be that way but the first two people he created screwed it up and disappointed him apparently. Personally I think the better question is...If God is all knowing then why didn't he see that coming and as a result be disappointed to begin with because he already would have known the end result in advance.