• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would anybody hike here?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Saw this on the news this morning. The question that came to my mind was, why would any American couple with the wife seven months pregnant go hiking in Afghanistan in a Taliban stronghold?:confused: Thoughts?
I have a similar thought process when I see folks getting detained in North Korea.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I don't deny it was a bad choice for a stroll - you wouldn't see me doing it.

And I actually didn't make any comments on the soundness of their choice. The only thing I pointed out is that those involved who believe it is their place to capture and detain a family - especially one containing a pregnant woman aren't necessarily of sound mind.

I don't recommend anyone go off into dangerous territory just for the heck of it - but at the same time, doesn't blaming those people for their choices detract from the real issue? Which, I feel, is that the particular residents of the country they were walking in who think it is okay to simply abduct harmless people without provocation are complete and utter morons, deserving of their own punishment.
I don't think so. One can easily ridicule the family for their choice and condemn the kidnappers at the same time.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If someone is going to go somewhere like that (North Korea is another example) where it is known you are not welcome and will be captured or killed if caught, there should be the understanding that you do so at your own risk and we are not risking someone else's life to come get you.
Saw a really good documentary about N Korea and I'm super glad they went and would have advocated for getting them out if they were captured, so long as it could be done peacefully.
But to me this is also kind of like advocating rescues of people who get lost or injured on dangerous hikes of any kind. We get enough of that here in the Pacific Nw.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Saw this on the news this morning. The question that came to my mind was, why would any American couple with the wife seven months pregnant go hiking in Afghanistan in a Taliban stronghold?:confused: Thoughts?

American Woman and Family Held for 5 Years in Afghanistan Freed From Militants

What the hell they were doing there ?!!!!

I am a Muslim,I will not dare or think to visit Afghanistan or Pakistan or Iraq or Syria, or Libya, or Yeman,because of their critical situation.

David1967

Premium Member
What the hell they were doing there ?!!!!

Exactly! Especially with a pregnant wife. I guess next adventure on their list was walking with a pride of lions in Africa when she was 8 months pregnant, or shark diving in the Bahamas.:rolleyes:

Stanyon

WWMRD?
American Woman and Family Held for 5 Years in Afghanistan Freed From Militants

I put it up there with the people that hike around the border of North Korea and call it extreme hiking, of all the perfectly good places in the world to hike why there? Makes me think that more than a few probably are spies. It's a bit like pouring gas on yourself and lighting a match, sure it may not ignite but if it does you are pretty much screwed.

A Vestigial Mote

I don't think so. One can easily ridicule the family for their choice and condemn the kidnappers at the same time.
I can see that. I suppose I wouldn't advocate for someone who walked into a lion's den, knowing he lions were very possibly inside, as much as some might try to blame the lions...