• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why there will NEVER be world peace...

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Right now the definition of peace is "no war". That doesn't mean that people are at peace.

That definition would do fine for starters.

I am a huge fan of Albert Bandura. In one of his books he makes the point that "People's beliefs in their collective efficacy influence the type of social future they seek to achieve, how much effort they put into it, and their endurance when collective efforts fail to produce quick results....Those who are beset by a low sense of efficacy are quickly convinced of the futility of effort to reform...As the need for efficacious collective effort grows, so does the sense of collective powerlessness....The times call for social initiatives that build people's sense of self efficacy to shape their lives and that of future generations."

I agree.

I grew up during 'the Troubles', I have seen peace take hold in this country and friendships that would have been unimaginable twenty years ago blossom.
I believe in personal efficacy and I believe in Peace.
I hate war and I hate guns. I hate political murder and I hate state murder. Violence disgusts me. Fear intimidation and coercion I will not suffer.

I am efficacious, I love life and I want my children to live in a better world. I will struggle for peace in so far as I can. For me not to do so would be personal cowardice of the worst kind.

Why on earth would I give in to nay-sayers who would have me live in a world where war and violence is the norm. I remember living in that world and I hated it.

no-body

Of course there will never be true peace, everything is strife and change it is the nature of the world. Still it dosen't mean we shouldn't strive towards it and some sort of inner peace with change.

The Christian belief in the apocalypse/coming of jesus/world peace is a whole other animal. Mostly it is just a carrot and stick system along with fear and vague predictions from the bible to proselytize people. It's not really a philosophy at all.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Very true. The next power move may not be with armies. China is accumulating so much cash right now that they kick their surplus cash into side investments. Those side investments is the US debt. The US will become/already is a cash slave to China. The cord is slowly being pulled in and the US will soon be a puppet on a cord held by China. The dragon will win in the end. What kind of future do you think that will bring about.
That we have to grow more rice than corn?:D
Ha I'm for that since I'm Asian! But on a serious note, it will be like being in debt to the Mafia.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
cut down the corn and grow rice. you may be correct again.
Real home cooked rice ( not like Uncle Ben's ) in a rice cooker or out of a pot is the best. Many don't even know how good a staple it is in a good diet. And it digests much better than corn.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
We'll probably never get world peace so long as there are finite resources to go around.

However, this is not an insurmountable problem.

SilverSoul

I think world peace is entirely possible, but I don't think it's the thing that people think it is. Everyone has this idea of peace as everybody suddenly loving each other and singing Kumbaya, where everyone is suddenly equal and the same. Problem is, even within small groups everyone isn't the same!

I think of it more as coexistence. I think world peace would be everyone being accepting of their differences and agreeing to disagree. Let's face it- any two given people are NOT the same! Even if physically they were the same, they have different emotional and spiritual needs. So long as we refuse to acknowledge and accept that, conflict is possible and likely.

If you want to talk about it in economic terms- China has a LOT more people than the United States. It's shaped differently, a different size, and has different primary crops. Of course they can make more if they set their minds to it! But they also NEED more. They need to import more food and supplies, and they need space. Each country has different needs, and if we accept that without assuming it makes them better than others, we can be partners.

I don't think peace comes with ignoring difference- it comes with accepting it and truly embracing it. Right now, I think we acknowledge it, but we're having difficulty really embracing it. The dividing lines between groups are still thought of as barriers to overcome instead of inevitable facts of the world.

SilverSoul

ninerbuff

godless wonder
I think world peace is entirely possible, but I don't think it's the thing that people think it is. Everyone has this idea of peace as everybody suddenly loving each other and singing Kumbaya, where everyone is suddenly equal and the same. Problem is, even within small groups everyone isn't the same!

I think of it more as coexistence. I think world peace would be everyone being accepting of their differences and agreeing to disagree. Let's face it- any two given people are NOT the same! Even if physically they were the same, they have different emotional and spiritual needs. So long as we refuse to acknowledge and accept that, conflict is possible and likely.

If you want to talk about it in economic terms- China has a LOT more people than the United States. It's shaped differently, a different size, and has different primary crops. Of course they can make more if they set their minds to it! But they also NEED more. They need to import more food and supplies, and they need space. Each country has different needs, and if we accept that without assuming it makes them better than others, we can be partners.

I don't think peace comes with ignoring difference- it comes with accepting it and truly embracing it. Right now, I think we acknowledge it, but we're having difficulty really embracing it. The dividing lines between groups are still thought of as barriers to overcome instead of inevitable facts of the world.

SilverSoul
Lol, then all we're talking here is free trade amongst all countries!!

BruceDLimber

Baha'is have every confidence that world peace can, Will, and MUST happen; and indeed are working toward it every day!

Bruce

Dezzie

I don't think there will ever be World Peace. It would be a freaking miracle if it did happen. There is too much hate in the World though.