• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why terrorist and their associates should not be tried by civil law

esmith

Veteran Member
Fox new has just reported that bin-Laden's driver's conviction has been overturned by the US Court Of Appeal

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Fox new has just reported that bin-Laden's driver's conviction has been overturned by the US Court Of Appeal

I think you just gave a very good illustration of why *suspected* terrorists absolutely should get trials: because there are people out there (such as yourself) who are willing to throw out due process when it doesn't give the result they want.

Last edited:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
naw a 62gr FMJBT is due process for a terrorist or associate of a terrorist.

Terrorism is murder, torture, unaccountability and mahem.

The rule of law is the complete opposite. Seems bizarre to me that anyone would claim to be against terror and yet for it at the same time.

esmith

Veteran Member
Terrorism is murder, torture, unaccountability and mahem.

The rule of law is the complete opposite. Seems bizarre to me that anyone would claim to be against terror and yet for it at the same time.
War is hell, some lose some win. I would rather be on the winning side. As John Wayne said in the move "Green Berets", "out here, due process is a bullet".

esmith

Veteran Member
I'd prefer a 168gr HPBT, but what was the guy convicted of?
"material support of a terrorist. which the prosecution said was a violated the law of war referenced" in U.S. law"

court said " providing material support for terrorism wasn't made a crime under U.S. law until well after he was detained by the U.S. in 2001."

in other words he was providing material support for terrorism, but because it wasn't against the law at the time he can't be convicted.

:shrug:

Alceste

Vagabond
"material support of a terrorist. which the prosecution said was a violated the law of war referenced" in U.S. law"

court said " providing material support for terrorism wasn't made a crime under U.S. law until well after he was detained by the U.S. in 2001."

in other words he was providing material support for terrorism, but because it wasn't against the law at the time he can't be convicted.

Yes, that is how the law works. You can't arrest people you don't like, then write new laws that make something they've done a criminal offense.

What's the problem?

F0uad

Its funny to see how Americans don't want to follow the constitution, you cannot trial someone that didn't break the law.
I am not an American but i know that the constitution says that a person is judged on the law that existed in that time so that's why he is released.
Remember that in Guantanamo bay there are several 100 innocent people who have never been tried, even a 15 year old Pakistan boy there you go America with your human rights.

Last edited:

Dingbat

Yes, that is how the law works. You can't arrest people you don't like, then write new laws that make something they've done a criminal offense.

What's the problem?

Well you can but then you are Stalinist Russia or Nazi Germany.

Dingbat

And that sums up why I am so keenly interested in US politics. ;)

No show trials, no purges, no kangaroo courts, boring. We could have street justice you know where we lynch people for crimes we suspect them of...oh wait.;)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Why do you hate the American constitution?