• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Some Christians Become Militant Atheists

Beaudreaux

There is a story in The Gospel of John that tells of a woman who was caught in adultery and should be stoned to death. Trying to trap Jesus, they asked Him what they should do. Jesus, while writing on the ground, replied "He who is without sin may cast the first stone". So what does that mean? That the Law was passed down by the people?
I have always believed God to be more merciful than people are. That is, if I go by what Jesus said and compare it to what men say. :)
But according to the Bible, GOD said to the Hebrews that they must kill adulterers.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Then you cannot claim he doesn't exist without burden of proof as well. Click Azakels link.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
But according to the Bible, GOD said to the Hebrews that they must kill adulterers.

There is a story in The Gospel of John that tells of a woman who was caught in adultery and should be stoned to death. Trying to trap Jesus, they asked Him what they should do. Jesus, while writing on the ground, replied "He who is without sin may cast the first stone". So what does that mean? That the Law was passed down by the people?
I have always believed God to be more merciful than people are. That is, if I go by what Jesus said and compare it to what men say. :)

Correct, this is Mercy and God is Merciful. This passage also show that God demands repentance and change "sin no more" is a demand for change. The woman to whom this great Mercy was showed had a dramatic change she was not the sinner that once was from that point forward.
At the same time the Lord shoed the religious leaders of the time that God also demand holiness in them, that they also broke His Law and thus they didn't have the right to judge and punish the woman. The other interesting thing shown here is that Jesus could judge and punish, but the did not and makes think of God word I desire mercy: Hsa 6:6 For I desire mercy and not sacrifice, And the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

There is your answer Beau.

emiliano

no no no, you can not throw out the old testament. Thats picking and choosing from the bible, I'm guessing you except the 10 commandment, well, thats in the old testament.

You must consider that we Christians believe Jesus to be God, which is something that you could not possibly understand (you are an atheist) God in Jesus and Jesus in God is not a concept that can be grasped by atheist, there are Christians that believe that the gentiles have replaced the Jews as God’s chosen people and that we must be grateful that He did and that he did it because the Jews if they would have accepted the Savior Messiah they would have shunt the gentiles from the Savior.
Jhn 1:12
But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:
Jhn 3:18
"He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

The lord taught about the Sabbath.
Mar 3:4
Then He said to them, "Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?" But they kept silent.
Luk 6:5
And He said to them, "The Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath."

The son of man as you know is Jesus and this is what He said of the Sabbath:
Mar 2:27
And He said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

Now and going back to the questions in the Topic: Why some Christians turn/ become atheist, the answer is that they develop vices and behaviors that are frawn upon by the Christian faith, they desire to change it tenets to accommodated their sins and since Christianity is somewhat a change from the ancient Israelites faith it should be done, they want acceptance of a myriad of behaviors that are not tolerated even when they see so many denominations I personally don’t understand their surprise as we are talking about a faith the encompasses billions of souls, thousands in billions is quite comparable IMO. There are many types of atheist although they are tiny minority

emiliano

What?
You cannot even prove that god exists, so how can anyone prove anything else about him?
What a load of crap.
You get ten thousand people reading the Bible and you get at least ten thousand different opinions as to what it says.

That is the beauty of it, seek and you will find sort of thing, if you seek God, His existence you will find Him in the Bible, if you seek to find that He does not exist you will find that also, the Bible is a manual for good living that lead to God and His kingdom, it is the light that lights the way of those that receive the word they hear the word and know and understand, been the light mean that those that live in darkness in an attempt to hide things will not come to it.
Jhn 1:5
And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
Jhn 3:19
And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

emiliano

Well, in the old testament god says that he is eternal, he's the same today as he was in the past or even in the future. So, if you believe in the bible you have to take the entirety of the old testament, even if you like the new more.
The essence of God does not change, that is His attributes: Love, Mercy, justice, longsuffering, sovereignty, etc. That does not change, God exist outside time and is not subjected to it or it laws, He is eternal.

emiliano

"To be judged to hell is to be consumed by God. You are blotted out from all memory as if you never existed."

Blotted out from all memory???

So Hitler is NOT in hell?! :eek:

Wow what a relief. There's hope for me yet.;)

You are so right. There is hope for you yet, that is what we call the longsuffering of God, but you will die that is the certainty that you have, then you will know that there is God and there is a Kingdom of God, but you won't be in it.

Deftide

Before I get into this I want to say that I used to be a Christian raised in a Christian home and brought up on strict Christian values. I did a journal that made me read the bible in its entirety in a year. It wasn't until I had gone away for my first semester of college when I started to question my faith. For me it was the feeling of independence and not having to live up to others standards along with the pressure of those around me not being Christians. I smoked pot for the first time and saw that there was nothing wrong with it after I had been strictly apposed to it even losing friends over it. Later on that first semester I ate shrooms for the first time and experienced the feeling of being born again (experiencing life for the first time again.) I gained a new perspective on religion as a whole, seeing it as being a device for controlling masses and a false sense of security. But, it wasn't all drugs that made me form these opinions. They only made me start thinking about what life is really about.

If someone doesn't void themselves of there complete surroundings being a Christian they can never truly question there faith. Now I feel that once you are able to lose your faith in such a maner it never was genuine from the first place, which leads me to beleive it's false.

I have also had some crazy spiritual experiances while tripping, but that is another topic.

Deftide

You are so right. There is hope for you yet, that is what we call the longsuffering of God, but you will die that is the certainty that you have, then you will know that there is God and there is a Kingdom of God, but you won't be in it.

That sounds like my mom telling me that she hopes I have my fire insurance ...for the fires of hell! :help: haha

Anyways I know there is a verse in the bible and I will look for it that states that if you ever have accepted Jesus and lost your faith, that you will make it into heaven, but with your coat tail smoking.

I would also like to know how God created night and day "in the beginning" without the existence of a sun yet.

emiliano

"If you are judged to be damned then your "blood will be on your own hands" because you made choice to not ask for repentance and erase your own sins."

And who said THAT was the choice?

Your god rigged this game and has given us a offer we can't refuse in the best mafia tradition. :(

Your god is a thug with no more scruples than Don Corleone.:p

God gave all of us the choice of been in His kingdom and have abundant an eternal life, how did God rig the game? It is simple He call you and you have the choice of coming to him or not, to be in His kingdom or in someone else's.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
That sounds like my mom telling me that she hopes I have my fire insurance ...for the fires of hell! :help: haha

Anyways I know there is a verse in the bible and I will look for it that states that if you ever have accepted Jesus and lost your faith, that you will make it into heaven, but with your coat tail smoking.

I would also like to know how God created night and day "in the beginning" without the existence of a sun yet.

Haha, in that case Heaven must be overcrowded because 90% of people i know are either loosely Christians, or former christians raised to such values.

Ill be proud if i go to hell, because then i know i've lived my life the way i want to without living up to someone elses standards set merely to control the masses.

Deftide

Haha, in that case Heaven must be overcrowded because 90% of people i know are either loosely Christians, or former christians raised to such values.

Ill be proud if i go to hell, because then i know i've lived my life the way i want to without living up to someone elses standards set merely to control the masses.

hmm Do i detect sarcasm in this post?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
hmm Do i detect sarcasm in this post?

The first sentence yes, the second most definately not. There is a price to pay for Heaven, we only live once so we might as well live the way we want to. No rewards at the end are worth living a restricted life.

emiliano

Before I get into this I want to say that I used to be a Christian raised in a Christian home and brought up on strict Christian values. I did a journal that made me read the bible in its entirety in a year. It wasn't until I had gone away for my first semester of college when I started to question my faith. For me it was the feeling of independence and not having to live up to others standards along with the pressure of those around me not being Christians. I smoked pot for the first time and saw that there was nothing wrong with it after I had been strictly apposed to it even losing friends over it. Later on that first semester I ate shrooms for the first time and experienced the feeling of being born again (experiencing life for the first time again.) I gained a new perspective on religion as a whole, seeing it as being a device for controlling masses and a false sense of security. But, it wasn't all drugs that made me form these opinions. They only made me start thinking about what life is really about.

If someone doesn't void themselves of there complete surroundings being a Christian they can never truly question there faith. Now I feel that once you are able to lose your faith in such a maner it never was genuine from the first place, which leads me to beleive it's false.

I have also had some crazy spiritual experiances while tripping, but that is another topic.

That is what I understood the OP was saying but apparently reading the whole post tells us something different. Your testimony is interesting and clearer, I responded the to the fist point like so: I have thought of this often and have concluded that at times is parents fault, those that drag their children to their church and believe that is the way to convert them to their religion when what they should do is show them what you get from your faith, educate, teach, say the word and do as the word says, pray to God for mercy and Grace, I believe what the Bible says in this matter
Jhn 6:65
And He said, "Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father."
Hoping that you don’t give me song and dance that I got from the op mover I say to you that you were never a Christian you did not have faith and that at the first contact with the preachers of atheism, hallucinating drug and stimulants , the whole of what your parent gave you as the base of y the system of belief fell down like a log, your parent wanted to believe for you and make a Christian that is impossible only can do that.

We may utter the word to them but unless God draws them they will not come to Salvation and persisting will only supplied justification for their back sliding the more we tray to do it on our own power the more resentful that they become, also some time is the way that we approach their instructing we used words that are only understood by the mature believer.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I do not have to justify myself to you or anyone. Freedom of Religion.
And no one has to justify their beliefs to you either.
Two way street you know...

I believe God exist.
Good for you.

You do not.
Really?
Interesting that you would attempt to dictate to me what I do and do not believe.
Any more strawmen you wish to attack?

You cannot dis-prove his existence.
To be perfectly honest with you...
I could less if your particular flavour of god exists or doesn't exist.
I am not bound by his rules anyway.

At this time. But that does not mean he does not exist. So therefore you have no foundation to say he does not exist. Other than you own opinion which is not fact.
Please quote where I said he does not exist...
Seems to me that I merely said that you cannot prove that he does exist.
Sorry that this little fact hits so close to home.

At one time marine biologist believed there could be no life at the bottom of the deepest part of the oceans, till they eventually explored it long enough to find proof that there is life with no sun light, extreme temperatures and extreme pressure previously believed to not be able to support life.
Red herring.
People also used to believe that the world was flat.
People also used to believe the putting horse hairs in rain barrels would turn into worms.
People also used to believe that demons and devils caused illness.
People also used to believe that the sun revolved around the earth.

That is the beauty of it, seek and you will find sort of thing, if you seek God, His existence you will find Him in the Bible, if you seek to find that He does not exist you will find that also, the Bible is a manual for good living that lead to God and His kingdom, it is the light that lights the way of those that receive the word they hear the word and know and understand, been the light mean that those that live in darkness in an attempt to hide things will not come to it.
Jhn 1:5
And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
Jhn 3:19
And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
You have done nothing more than show an extremist example of:
Faith is a device of self-delusion, a slight of hand done with words and emotions founded on any irrational notion that can be dreamed up.
Faith is the attempt to coerce truth to surrender to whim.
It is trying to breathe life into a lie by trying to outshine reality with the beauty of wishes.
Misery, iniquity, and utter destruction lurk in the shadows outside its full light, where half-truths snare the faithful disciples, the deeply feeling believers, the selfless followers.
Unlike reason, faith and feelings provide no boundary to limit any delusion, any whim.
They are a virulent poison, giving the numbing illusion of moral sanction to every depravity ever hatched.

God gave all of us the choice of been in His kingdom and have abundant an eternal life, how did God rig the game? It is simple He call you and you have the choice of coming to him or not, to be in His kingdom or in someone else's.
Since you are unable to understand that which you read...(I refer you to my list earlier in the thread) I see no reason to even bother explaining it.

emiliano

A
You have done nothing more than show an extremist example of:
Faith is a device of self-delusion, a slight of hand done with words and emotions founded on any irrational notion that can be dreamed up.
Faith is the attempt to coerce truth to surrender to whim.
It is trying to breathe life into a lie by trying to outshine reality with the beauty of wishes.
Misery, iniquity, and utter destruction lurk in the shadows outside its full light, where half-truths snare the faithful disciples, the deeply feeling believers, the selfless followers.
Unlike reason, faith and feelings provide no boundary to limit any delusion, any whim.
They are a virulent poison, giving the numbing illusion of moral sanction to every depravity ever hatched.

Since you are unable to understand that which you read...(I refer you to my list earlier in the thread) I see no reason to even bother explaining it.

It works for me and billions of souls, it’s called Hope, this is the way that we can live in the mist of the godless as pilgrims on our way to God and His kingdom, I really pity the Godless, most of them live a life of misery, whining, complaining, coveting and blaming God and religion, a crappy life and the belief that this all there is.
You are another individual that I ignore when you post nonsense.
In what way does our faith and beliefs affect you that up set you so much? I don’t understand this at all, you can believe in what ever you want, it does not affect me in the lest I am not trying to convert you I answer and give reasons for my faith when you ask. If I don’t respond is because I am not interested on what you posted, I read lots of post and answer those that seem interesting.

emiliano

It's called faith. I know enough atheists who actually hope that there is a God.
You should read the "are atheists happy" thread again..

I will read that thread. I based my statement on what is been posted here. Have you ever encounter a bigger bunch of whiners? I am getting use to this though.
The Church is wealthy, they look down on us queers, they don’t love us, they voted against same sex marriages
:sad4:, they are cruel, they deny our rights to be given free condoms, they don’t teach their children about gay families, they don’t accept us as their equals
:sad4:, ets, etc. I’ve never understood why they are called Gays. May be that thread will be an eye opener. What you recon?:D

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I will read that thread. I based my statement on what is been posted here. Have you ever encounter a bigger bunch of whiners? I am getting use to this though.
The Church is wealthy, they look down on us queers, they don’t love us, they voted against same sex marriages
:sad4:, they are cruel, they deny our rights to be given free condoms, they don’t teach their children about gay families, they don’t accept us as their equals
:sad4:, ets, etc. I’ve never understood why they are called Gays. May be that thread will be an eye opener. What you recon?:D

I can't express to you in words how ironic and funny it is for you to call other people whiners. That's possibly the funniest thing I've heard all year.

Deftide

Hoping that you don’t give me song and dance that I got from the op mover I say to you that you were never a Christian you did not have faith and that at the first contact with the preachers of atheism, hallucinating drug and stimulants , the whole of what your parent gave you as the base of y the system of belief fell down like a log, your parent wanted to believe for you and make a Christian that is impossible only can do that.

I'm sorry I can't agree with this. Saying I was never a Christian because I lost my faith is complete bogus.