• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why so angry? :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This is simply not true.

One can be angry about something and yet be calm, rational and composed. If you can't, then THAT is your problem. Not anger. Your lack of self control.
How does not reacting with anger show a lack of control?
When one does not get angry one has time to see clearly what the cause of the situation is, then one can react properly when knowing the cause of the situation.

If one gets angry and let it out onto others, or try to keep it within. how do you see clearly what caused the situation? the rational thinking and assessment of the situation are not working when one is angry,

And the other thing, if one gets angry, then find that it was not the people you get angry at who was causing the problem, that can lead to guilty feelings if you lashed out on them or hurt them.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Anger is only an attachment to action, words or thoughts done in the past. It is in the past so no need to hold on to it.

maybe people are living to much in the past or future, but not in the present moment?
I think some are having a hard time realizing that anger and calm don't go hand in hand. They obviously don't realize what's happening inside is not calm. Perhaps some think that anger means exploding.
As I said though, everyone won't understand spirit. The flesh is against the spirit.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I think some are having a hard time realizing that anger and calm don't go hand in hand. They obviously don't realize what's happening inside is not calm. Perhaps some think that anger means exploding.
As I said though, everyone won't understand spirit. The flesh is against the spirit.

A person who has not meditated or prayed for a long time is like a hurricane in the mind when something negative arises. For one who has meditated or prayed for a long time, the water is still calm and serene in the mind. they stay untouched no matter what happens in the physical world.
The mind is tranquil.

A Vestigial Mote

How does not reacting with anger show a lack of control?
When you feel the anger, but channel it in such a way that it does not control your behavior. Do you never do this? Do you find yourself incapable? If so, then my condolences. I hope you find out how to do this someday.

When one does not get angry one has time to see clearly what the cause of the situation is, then one can react properly when knowing the cause of the situation.
I'm not sure how anger blocks one from thinking clearly. If you're in some irrational fit of rage, maybe... but just being angry about something? This doesn't happen to me in the slightest.

If one gets angry and let it out onto others, or try to keep it within. how do you see clearly what caused the situation? the rational thinking and assessment of the situation are not working when one is angry,
Again, I don't find this to be the case at all. When I am angry it simply gives me a reason to circle the situation even more thoroughly to assess the reason I am angry, and come to the logical, rational ways that I can communicate my anger or frustration with the situation such that it is completely understood why it causes a problem.

And the other thing, if one gets angry, then find that it was not the people you get angry at who was causing the problem, that can lead to guilty feelings if you lashed out on them or hurt them.
I get angry, but I do not lash out at people. Not that it has never happened, but you're right about that part of it. If you lash out you have made a useless gesture. The other person is merely angry now as well, or hurt, or will no longer wish to engage with you in certain ways. It's exactly like picking up and object and smashing it when you are angry... your momentary satisfaction at destroying something in your emotional state will give way to feeling like an idiot for having made such a futile gesture. Now you not only still have whatever problem made you angry, but you broke something and have to clean it up on top of that.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Why do you hold on to the anger that arises within you?

The clue to the answer lay within the question.
There is a saying: "The mouth speaks what the heart is full of"
I think this is the third OP from you about "why hold on to the anger"

shmogie

What is there to be angry about?
Anger arises from within your thoughts, not from what others may do toward you.
Exactly. Anger is the result of you allowing someone else the control of your emotions.

As a LEO, I learned this very early. Rage at what you saw, or what someone said to you eats away at you, and builds and builds, till you allow it makes you do things totally against your personal and professional ethics.
It isn´t at all worth it.

Have a flash of anger, but learn to release it and let it go in a flash as well.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When you feel the anger, but channel it in such a way that it does not control your behavior. Do you never do this? Do you find yourself incapable? If so, then my condolences. I hope you find out how to do this someday.

No need to channel the anger away when it does not arise in the first place.
And if it of some reason should arise a thought of anger it has already been warned about within the body, the body reacts to beginning anger before the angry thought arise, so if the body reacts you know, and can prevent anger from arising. Not by force, but by stepping one step back and look at the situation.

It is freeing to be without any anger or rage toward self or others. (self is an illusion)
No energy wasted on the situation

A question that guaranteed will come, Amanaki when was last time you were angry. And the answer to that is. a little over a year ago, when raising my voice toward my fianceè. After that, there has not been any anger arising in the mind

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It is an important topic to discuss, because with less anger in the world, less bad things will happen.
And people do suffer from being angry at someone, or someone being angry at them.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I don't, try my best not to. Whenever I get angry at other, I get more angry at myself for letting them make me angry in the first place.

Assuming we got only one life, no sense wasting a second of it being angry.

stvdv

if-you-are-not-angry-tshirt_2_blacktshirt-570x570.jpg
Very good one. Especially in the happy-clappy mood, many people push anger feelings away (mostly unaware, not paying attention)

A Vestigial Mote

No need to channel the anger away when it does not arise in the first place.
And if it of some reason should arise a thought of anger it has already been warned about within the body, the body reacts to beginning anger before the angry thought arise, so if the body reacts you know, and can prevent anger from arising. Not by force, but by stepping one step back and look at the situation.

It is freeing to be without any anger or rage toward self or others. (self is an illusion)
No energy wasted on the situation

A question that guaranteed will come, Amanaki when was last time you were angry. And the answer to that is. a little over a year ago, when raising my voice toward my fianceè. After that, there has not been any anger arising in the mind
I use my anger, and will continue to do so. I do not see a reason to do otherwise. I will continue to assess my anger, the reasons for it, and the actions I can take to remove or alleviate the situation that is making me angry.

I see no problems with anger. Though I do see a lot of people with problems with self control.

You also never answered my question. Where would we be on the issue of slavery if no one had ever gotten angry about it and everyone involved just "let it go?" Can you answer this question, or is it too difficult for you to contemplate within your enforcing of your "no anger" mindset?

stvdv

It is an important topic to discuss, because with less anger in the world, less bad things will happen.
And people do suffer from being angry at someone, or someone being angry at them.
Why so angry? :)

I think the answer to this question is very simple

If you "allow" other people to cross your borders/limits then you get frustrated, irritated and angry, which develops in hate if not transformed.

When you are a child, crossing borders happens all the time
Understandable, no time to take proper time for the child in this busy world
And their parents did the same, so they are unaware of any other solution (copy parent's behavior)

With all this suppressed luggage of childhood, it's very difficult to solve these old issues
If someone now tells you "you should just drop anger", does not work at all
For everything is a time. First embrace the anger ... being angry is okay

Then you learn to say "STOP" to others, and invite only people who respect you
Thereby creating a good new foundation for yourself. And anger slowly ebbs away

Karma created in your youth, usually does not disappear by just ignoring it
The lesson need to be learned, why the karma was created in the first place
Of course there are different ways to do this

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I use my anger, and will continue to do so. I do not see a reason to do otherwise. I will continue to assess my anger, the reasons for it, and the actions I can take to remove or alleviate the situation that is making me angry.

I see no problems with anger. Though I do see a lot of people with problems with self control.

You also never answered my question. Where would we be on the issue of slavery if no one had ever gotten angry about it and everyone involved just "let it go?" Can you answer this question, or is it too difficult for you to contemplate within your enforcing of your "no anger" mindset?
There would not be a need for anger if things were done in a morally right way from the beginning, meaning that if the leaders had not had a huge ego they would see that keeping slaves are damaging to the people who become slaves.
Not saying all problems would be solved with a calm mind (does not look like politics can do that)
It was not the anger that leads to the freeing of the slaves. it was a law that was put in place for egoistic people to not be able to hold slaves anymore.

A Vestigial Mote

There would not be a need for anger if things were done in a morally right way from the beginning, meaning that if the leaders had not had a huge ego they would see that keeping slaves are damaging to the people who become slaves.
Not saying all problems would be solved with a calm mind (does not look like politics can do that)
It was not the anger that leads to the freeing of the slaves. it was a law that was put in place for egoistic people to not be able to hold slaves anymore.
This only proves to me that your thoughts are going to an "ideal" situation, within which NO ONE feels anger or conceit, etc. That is NOT the world we live in. Anger helps establish boundaries. Within the world we actually live in, this is a very important thing. If no slave or opponent of slavery were ever to show even the slightest hint of anger at the situation, then there would be no need for anyone to overturn slavery. It would just stay in place because, hey, nobody is complaining.

And I don't think you are correct about the slave owners in the first place. If there were no anger from slaves or anyone concerning slavery, then it probably wouldn't even be considered a moral issue! There is anger... and therefore it IS a moral issue, and that's one of the ways you know it is. Without the anger, what is there?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This only proves to me that your thoughts are going to an "ideal" situation, within which NO ONE feels anger or conceit, etc. That is NOT the world we live in. Anger helps establish boundaries. Within the world we actually live in, this is a very important thing. If no slave or opponent of slavery were ever to show even the slightest hint of anger at the situation, then there would be no need for anyone to overturn slavery. It would just stay in place because, hey, nobody is complaining.

And I don't think you are correct about the slave owners in the first place. If there were no anger from slaves or anyone concerning slavery, then it probably wouldn't even be considered a moral issue! There is anger... and therefore it IS a moral issue, and that's one of the ways you know it is. Without the anger, what is there?
Without anger, there is an acceptance (personally, not for every human being) that the situation is the way it is, and one accepts that there is suffering.
I do not speak for other people. Other people may be totally disagreeing with this view.

A Vestigial Mote

Without anger, there is an acceptance (personally, not for every human being) that the situation is the way it is, and one accepts that there is suffering.
I do not speak for other people. Other people may be totally disagreeing with this view.
Regardless your views, anger will continue to be instrumental in societal/cultural change. I admit it isn't "perfect" (far from it), and it isn't always used or directed appropriately, but I can only hope that it will continue to be this way. In my opinion, the day none of us are angry at anything ever again is the day we will find ourselves ALL taken advantage of - the only difference will be that none of us will complain about it, and no one will know what a "personal boundary" is anymore. In that world, I can see literally ANYTHING becoming permissible, and no one lifting a finger in protest.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

Not being angry about stuff = being a passive doormat

Anger can be a positive force, if channelled correctly, according to a cool-headed plan

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So without knowing the reason for what causes someone to hit you, why become angry?
Because it's a natural reaction that somehow we should try and control or channel it in a more constructive course of action. It really is genetically based as part of our "fight or flight" response to threats, much like even the most docile animal typically will fight if cornered.

For one to try and deny this may cause more problems due to what's called "suppression", which is not a healthy reaction. Therefore, the trick is to try and channel it into a more constructive response.

At least that's my take, and if you don't like it I got my 2 X 4 ready! :mad:.