• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why so angry? :)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Why do you hold on to the anger that arises within you?

The clue to the answer lay within the question.
Of course it´s not good nor healthy to keep your anger inside
So better to shout it out, to the person that deserves it
When waiting too long, keeping it suppressed inside
One day you might shout to an innocent person

And we all know `you need a thorn to remove a thorn`
In Kali Yuga anger (thorn) is needed to remove anger

So, I indeed agree it´s best not to hold on to anger
Just let it flow out, if you feel that is the best
Otherwise take a cold shower
Or some other practices

MonkeyFire

Regardless your views, anger will continue to be instrumental in societal/cultural change. I admit it isn't "perfect" (far from it), and it isn't always used or directed appropriately, but I can only hope that it will continue to be this way. In my opinion, the day none of us are angry at anything ever again is the day we will find ourselves ALL taken advantage of - the only difference will be that none of us will complain about it, and no one will know what a "personal boundary" is anymore. In that world, I can see literally ANYTHING becoming permissible, and no one lifting a finger in protest.

Anger is like grasping onto a hot coal with the intent to throw it at someone, your the one who gets burned.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If I may say.... you may think so, but it is... the anger, I mean. Not the lash with the two by four. ;)
The natural reflex of anger is pretty much automatic, much like if we accidentally put our hand on a hot burner so as to pull it away. It's what we do next that is most telling.

In the Gospel, we see Jesus and the apostles getting angry at times, btw.

A Vestigial Mote

Anger is like grasping onto a hot coal with the intent to throw it at someone, your the one who gets burned.
That sounds very poetic. Too bad it is nowhere near axiomatic or universally meaningful. I've already argued against the myopic, hyperbolic "anger is bad" standpoint. If you have an actual rebuttal or point to make, go ahead with that, but keep this spiritual clap-trap out of discussion with me. I don't care about it one bit. You can go high-five your spiritualist buddies with ridiculous sayings like this all you want, and good luck with that getting you anywhere.

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
The natural reflex of anger is pretty much automatic, much like if we accidentally put our hand on a hot burner so as to pull it away. It's what we do next that is most telling.

In the Gospel, we see Jesus and the apostles getting angry at times, btw.
Why do you say anger is a natural reflex? Not that I am opposed to that thought. I think it will add to this thread.
So, I'm glad you mentioned Jesus also.
Can you mention the times of Jesus getting angry, please?

metis

Why do you say anger is a natural reflex?
Because it's a part of our "fight or flight" reflex. We don't have to think about it because it's usually our initial reaction when we're been hurt, although the anger may not be towards a person. I've been angry at myself many a time.

Can you mention the times of Jesus getting angry, please?
Like when Jesus told Peter to "Get behind thee Satan!", or when he scolded the Pharisees at times. There's more.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Because it's a part of our "fight or flight" reflex. We don't have to think about it because it's usually our initial reaction when we're been hurt, although the anger may not be towards a person. I've been angry at myself many a time.
The question was, 'Why?' You basically repeated the situation.
Why do you say it is "our "fight or flight" reflex"? Or, why is it "our "fight or flight" reflex"?

Like when Jesus told Peter to "Get behind thee Satan!", or when he scolded the Pharisees at times. There's more.
Are you sure Jesus was angry at that time? What gave him away? :D

MonkeyFire

That sounds very poetic. Too bad it is nowhere near axiomatic or universally meaningful. I've already argued against the myopic, hyperbolic "anger is bad" standpoint. If you have an actual rebuttal or point to make, go ahead with that, but keep this spiritual clap-trap out of discussion with me. I don't care about it one bit. You can go high-five your spiritualist buddies with ridiculous sayings like this all you want, and good luck with that getting you anywhere.

The Buddha said that. Suffer all you want, and see if the devil will let you compete at ******* gladiator.

Bird123

Why do you hold on to the anger that arises within you?

The clue to the answer lay within the question.

How about this? Anger is a Control issue. Everyone wants the world and people to their will. When they discover their lack of Control, they get angry. Don't they hold onto their anger simply because they are still trying to Control it all, but can't?

Ah yes, Control. Isn't it one of the petty things mankind holds so dear?

AS I see it, everyone is learning and growing toward perfection. Given enough time, everyone will end up at the same place. God grants total freedom of choice, but supplies knowledge and information all around to guide everyone to the best choices. Should not everyone do the same thing, copy God? If one does this, I feel anger will either not exist or not stay around very long.

That's how I see it. Doesn't it make sense?

A Vestigial Mote

The Buddha said that. Suffer all you want, and see if the devil will let you compete at ******* gladiator.
This is the kind of response I see all to often from spiritualists/theists/believers/etc. Some strange, seemingly esoteric or enigmatic (though likely just a whim of fancy) bit of text that is supposed to strike "fear" into the hearts of nonbelievers everywhere. Unfortunate that you obviously have no actual rebuttal.

Oh - and I couldn't care much less what "The Buddha" said. Clever quips and phrases may hint at patterns and smart evaluations of our human condition, and even contain some nugget of "wisdom" that is sometimes applicable and in that sense, sometimes "true"... but in the end, they are not "truth."

MonkeyFire

This is the kind of response I see all to often from spiritualists/theists/believers/etc. Some strange, seemingly esoteric or enigmatic (though likely just a whim of fancy) bit of text that is supposed to strike "fear" into the hearts of nonbelievers everywhere. Unfortunate that you obviously have no actual rebuttal.

Oh - and I couldn't care much less what "The Buddha" said. Clever quips and phrases may hint at patterns and smart evaluations of our human condition, and even contain some nugget of "wisdom" that is sometimes applicable and in that sense, sometimes "true"... but in the end, they are not "truth."

I don't even know why you started talking to me... get a life troll.

Einstien said it himself "imagination is more important than knowledge."

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Because it's shiny,

Is the clue "arises," because that may not be correct.
Hehe :) The clue in the OP is Within. The anger always arises from within us, never from outside. And most often it is the Ego that gets "hurt" just before we get angry. So if we can let the attachments to whatever made ego get angry we would have control in the situation, no matter what happens.

You can become angry from something you see, hear or feel, but anger always arises from within, it is not the outside source that makes you angry it is your own feelings.

A Vestigial Mote

I don't even know why you started talking to me... get a life troll.

Einstien said it himself "imagination is more important than knowledge."
Haha... check the tape pal. YOU most definitely started talking to ME. You can stop any time. Maybe once you figure out whether or not I care.

metis

So you think so because a psychologist said so? ...and you believe him?

Hey. I'm serious. I really want to know. What part of scripture led you to conclude that Jesus was angry.
I really dislike sarcasm and head-butting.