• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why so angry? :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What do you mean by "hold on to the anger"?

What should i do to qualify that i have "hold on to the anger"?
What I mean by the question is. Why do people get angry at something outside of themselves after the situation is already over?
An example can be, someone speaks to you in a wicked way, and you get upset and fire back at them with something even worse, and again the other person maybe get up to you and pushes you.
Already here both you and the other person have started to suffer, from words and action (and probably your thoughts that getting you angry)

So you hold on to this anger and next time you see this person, you want to punch him, because you remember the wicked wors he tossed at you, Again, you suffer because your own ego has been hurt by his words.

But the idea behind this thread is to say. It has already happened, those things are in the past, let it go. it does not matter in the present moment, because if people keep holding on to the past experiences and the anger they experienced within themself at that time. How are they thinking te suffering will end?

Pudding

What I mean by the question is. Why do people get angry at something outside of themselves after the situation is already over?
An example can be, someone speaks to you in a wicked way, and you get upset and fire back at them with something even worse, and again the other person maybe get up to you and pushes you.
Already here both you and the other person have started to suffer, from words and action (and probably your thoughts that getting you angry)

So you hold on to this anger and next time you see this person, you want to punch him, because you remember the wicked wors he tossed at you, Again, you suffer because your own ego has been hurt by his words.
Why do people get angry?
My opinion is that people get angry because anger is a natural and inevitable response to frustration or stress. We all feel angry at times – it's part of being human.

Anger is a normal, healthy emotion, which we might experience if we feel:
  • attacked
  • deceived
  • frustrated
  • invalidated or unfairly treated
Anger isn't necessarily a 'bad' emotion; in fact it can sometimes be useful. For example, feeling angry about something can:
  • help us identify problems or things that are hurting us
  • motivate us to create change, achieve our goals and move on
  • help us stay safe and defend ourselves in dangerous situations by giving us a burst of energy as part of our fight, flight or freeze response
Anger only becomes a problem when it gets out of control and harms you or people around you. This can happen when:
  • you regularly express your anger through unhelpful or destructive behaviour
  • your anger is having a negative impact on your overall mental and physical health
  • anger becomes your go-to emotion, blocking out your ability to feel other emotions
  • you haven't developed healthy ways to express your anger

Learning healthy ways to recognise, express and deal with anger is important for our mental and physical health. When we shy away from our angry emotions, they tend to become somaticized, causing varying degrees of harm to the body. Holding back angry feelings creates tension, and this stress reaction plays a part in a wide range of psychosomatic ailments, such as headaches, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and cancer. As reported by the College of Nursing, University of Tennessee: "Extremely low anger scores have been noted in numerous studies of patients with cancer. Such low scores suggest suppression, repression, or restraint of anger. There is evidence to show that suppressed anger can be a precursor to the development of cancer, and also a factor in its progression after diagnosis."

It is essential, in terms of our mental health and well-being, to give all of our feelings free reign in conscious awareness and experience; whereas, in relation to our actions, we must make a rational decision about how to express our anger that involves both moral concerns and reality issues.

There're two salient points in relation to acting on our anger: Is it consistent with our values and would it be in our own best interest? Regarding the latter, it would be foolhardy, for example, for a person who values his or her job to blow up at the boss; instead, it would be more productive to simply acknowledge and feel the hostile feelings without acting them out.

It is crucial to be able to express anger, and at times it can have a remarkably positive effect in personal, vocational or political situations. It is generally best to state one’s anger directly and in a calm tone of voice, rather than in an angry or rageful manner. For example, saying “I felt angry at you when you did thus and so,” matter-of-factly is more effective than expressing it angrily, which will usually provoke an immediate angry retort. However, if you are further annoyed by the response to your anger, or it fails to achieve your purpose, you can always state things more strongly and forcefully. In general, this escalation should be gradual and controlled to achieve the best results.

In summary, when we deny or suppress hostile emotions, our anger is likely to be internalized, turned against our bodies or our selves, or externalized, distorting the world around us. In addition, we are more likely to lose control and act in ways that are detrimental or destructive to ourselves and to others.

What can you do to manage your anger?
It can be frightening when your anger overwhelms you. But there are ways you can learn to manage your anger when you find yourself in difficult situations. You can:
(1) Look out for warning signs
Anger can cause a rush of adrenaline through your body, so before you recognise the emotion you're feeling you might notice:
  • your heart is beating faster
  • your breathing is quicker
  • your body is becoming tense
  • your feet are tapping
  • you're clenching your jaw or fists
Recognising these signs gives you the chance to think about how you want to react to a situation before doing anything. This can be difficult in the heat of the moment, but the earlier you notice how you're feeling, the easier it can be to choose how to manage your anger.
(2) buy yourself time to think
(3) try some calming techniques

Try some techniques to manage your feelings:
  • Breathe slowly
  • Relax your body
  • Exercise
  • Use up your energy safely in other ways
  • Do something to distract yourself mentally or physically
But the idea behind this thread is to say. It has already happened, those things are in the past, let it go. it does not matter in the present moment, because if people keep holding on to the past experiences and the anger they experienced within themself at that time. How are they thinking te suffering will end?
"Let it go" takes time and efforts.

Source where i get my opinion:
(1) Causes of anger
(2) About anger
(3) The Simple Truth about Anger - Suppressing angry feelings inevitably has destructive consequences.
(4) Managing outbursts - What can I do to manage my anger?

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

I was being kind.
So, in response to your original message to me:
Anger is like grasping onto a hot coal with the intent to throw it at someone, your the one who gets burned.
You felt that my response should have been more along the lines of:
A Vestigial Mote said:
Thank you so much for these words of wisdom. You are so very kind.
?

How very strange that is. Very, very strange. Especially considering that your quote given was making a point in opposition to what I have been arguing for in this thread. Except that yours didn't even take the form of an argument, nor of an actual point made nor presentation of even weak, philosophically-driven evidence. Can you please examine your quote above and tell me what you think makes it debate-worthy? Tell me why I should have just accepted it outright and considered reversing my position. Because "the Buddha said it?" Do you have anything more than that and a censored out curse word? Do you? If you don't, then are you able to admit that to yourself?

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money
Why do you hold on to the anger that arises within you?

The clue to the answer lay within the question.

Anger is a demonic energy coming out like a poisonous gas that kills everyone
Therefore
Even nuclear waste is hidden in the ground in order not to cause pollution
Anger is more dangerous than nuclear waste
We must realize that anger destroys relationships

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There's none here, but someone surely is over the top touchy.
And I would suggest that when one calls people names, as Jesus did, then that's almost without a doubt "anger".

"Anger" by itself is not a sin but it can become a sin. We are told in scripture to "be slow to anger". Also:
Matt.18[34] And in anger his lord delivered him to the jailers, till he should pay all his debt.

Mark.3[5] And he looked around at them with anger, grieved at their hardness of heart, and said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." He stretched it out, and his hand was restored.

Also, if you had bothered to actually check it out, it mentions many times in the Tanakh that God can be angry.

MonkeyFire

So, in response to your original message to me:

You felt that my response should have been more along the lines of:

?

How very strange that is. Very, very strange. Especially considering that your quote given was making a point in opposition to what I have been arguing for in this thread. Except that yours didn't even take the form of an argument, nor of an actual point made nor presentation of even weak, philosophically-driven evidence. Can you please examine your quote above and tell me what you think makes it debate-worthy? Tell me why I should have just accepted it outright and considered reversing my position. Because "the Buddha said it?" Do you have anything more than that and a censored out curse word? Do you? If you don't, then are you able to admit that to yourself?

I feel like your unwilling to be happy...

nPeace

Veteran Member
And I would suggest that when one calls people names, as Jesus did, then that's almost without a doubt "anger".

"Anger" by itself is not a sin but it can become a sin. We are told in scripture to "be slow to anger". Also:
Matt.18[34] And in anger his lord delivered him to the jailers, till he should pay all his debt.

Mark.3[5] And he looked around at them with anger, grieved at their hardness of heart, and said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." He stretched it out, and his hand was restored.

Also, if you had bothered to actually check it out, it mentions many times in the Tanakh that God can be angry.
Thank you for that point, and the scriptures.
Yes, as one who is righteous and just, God's anger works perfectly with those qualities.
Humans are not perfect, that's why we are commanded not to hold on to anger, and leave rage alone. Our anger does not work out God's righteousness.
Hence why God says, vengeance belongs to him.
(Romans 12:17-21)
17 Return evil for evil to no one. Take into consideration what is fine from the viewpoint of all men. 18 If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. 19 Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “‘Vengeance is mine; I will repay,’ says Jehovah.” 20 But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals on his head.” 21 Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good.

There is a huge difference between God's anger, and imperfect human. God is holy, perfect in all his way - including his justice, righteousness....
Jesus too, was perfect.

Anger will come up within a human because it is naturally a quality of God. However, due to human imperfection, it is a bad mix, hence why the Bible encourages us, to remove it, or let it go, as quickly as it comes up. (Ephesians 4:26, 27)

Clearly, or, it seems clear to me that one can see how perfect justice and righteousness were the "glue" to God's and Jesus anger.
As imperfect humans we don't have that. In fact you would know that we often judge in an unrighteous way.
Not so with the righteous judge of all the earth.
(Deuteronomy 32:4 ; Psalm 145:17)

You sound angry though. Are you?
Did you imagine that someone called you names, or are you usually this touchy when someone asks you about scripture?
There is really no need to be afraid if our understanding of scripture is in it's early stages. Every Bible believer was there at some point.

A Vestigial Mote

I feel like your unwilling to be happy...
What a complete non sequitur. How interesting. Here, let me try:

I feel like you're the kind of person who would enjoy hurting puppies...

Can you see how weird that is? I know almost nothing about you. I have my suspicions based on our interactions here that you're more than a little flaky, consider yourself extremely spiritual and really enjoy flaunting it. But that bit about the puppies... I just made that up. Much like you trying to take some unfounded wild guess at the idea that I am "unhappy." I can tell you one thing, I don't do "unhappy." I do "content" like a damn pro, and I constantly marvel at how often I am able to attain "happy" on top of "content." I wouldn't say it's "a lot," but based on what I know of and have heard from others, I am a damn sight happier more often than a lot of them. But I seriously do not do "unhappy." I get that that probably sounds unlikely, or like some kind of lie. You can think what you want. I can guarantee your thoughts on the matter won't even put a dent in my contentedness. From my experience it takes one whopping heap of misfortune to eek out even that - and even a serious dent doesn't last long at all.

metis

You sound angry though. Are you?
Did you imagine that someone called you names, or are you usually this touchy when someone asks you about scripture?
There is really no need to be afraid if our understanding of scripture is in it's early stages. Every Bible believer was there at some point.
More frustrated as all too many people twist the scriptures so as to ignore that which is written or make excuses as to why they won't accept that which is written. I have taught Christian and Jewish theology for almost four decades now, so I'm not exactly in my "early stages".

The fact is that "anger" shows up so many times in the scriptures, including both Jesus' and God's anger, I would tend to think that anyone who says they read the scriptures should know that-- at least at a minimum. If they weren't sure, it's all so easy to look it up.

nPeace

Veteran Member
More frustrated as all too many people twist the scriptures so as to ignore that which is written or make excuses as to why they won't accept that which is written. I have taught Christian and Jewish theology for almost four decades now, so I'm not exactly in my "early stages".

The fact is that "anger" shows up so many times in the scriptures, including both Jesus' and God's anger, I would tend to think that anyone who says they read the scriptures should know that-- at least at a minimum. If they weren't sure, it's all so easy to look it up.
You are on a debate forum metis. When someone asks a poster to produce some evidence for what they say, that person should not find that a problem, looking at it reasonably.
It's not that the person can't find the information for themselves. They are simply asking you to produce it, since you are the one making the claim.

I find on these forums some apparently make their own rules, and it seems to be for their own convenience.
For example, someone will ask you a question, and want you to answer in your own words, but when you asks them a question, they will tell you, go do your research; They are not here to do your homework. :eek:
See what I mean.
Why are we on a debate forum, if we don't want to debate, or discuss, by giving our understanding?
Sometimes, I give a person a video, that explains my view, only to hear, "I am not debating the video. I am debating you."
Well okay then... What do you want to know?
XYZ.
The video explains XYZ.
:facepalm:
I didn't tell them go do your research. I gave them specific information to look at... that reflects my thoughts. So any problem, misunderstanding, can then be discussed.
Do you get what I am saying?

metis

I'm here for the purpose of discussion, not debate. I use debate only to try and catch defish.

MonkeyFire

What a complete non sequitur. How interesting. Here, let me try:

I feel like you're the kind of person who would enjoy hurting puppies...

Can you see how weird that is? I know almost nothing about you. I have my suspicions based on our interactions here that you're more than a little flaky, consider yourself extremely spiritual and really enjoy flaunting it. But that bit about the puppies... I just made that up. Much like you trying to take some unfounded wild guess at the idea that I am "unhappy." I can tell you one thing, I don't do "unhappy." I do "content" like a damn pro, and I constantly marvel at how often I am able to attain "happy" on top of "content." I wouldn't say it's "a lot," but based on what I know of and have heard from others, I am a damn sight happier more often than a lot of them. But I seriously do not do "unhappy." I get that that probably sounds unlikely, or like some kind of lie. You can think what you want. I can guarantee your thoughts on the matter won't even put a dent in my contentedness. From my experience it takes one whopping heap of misfortune to eek out even that - and even a serious dent doesn't last long at all.

I gave you advice on happiness and you got angry end of story.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla

I think you are assuming that some people are never angry. I've never met anyone who is never angry, nor have I heard of anyone like this.

Seems when anger arises, some people release it sooner than others. I suppose it's possible to learn to let go quicker, or even nearly instantaneously. It would, of course, take practice.

Is the benefit of spending a small amount of time less angry worth the huge time commitment to achieve this? There should be a balance, in my opinion.

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!

I read a book by a Christian man named Brant Hansen called Unoffendable. He is also a Christian radio personality. His argument is that If God gets mad, why can’t we? Because there is no such thing as righteous anger. “The anger of man, does not produce the righteousness of God.” James 1:20.’ We are not entitled to anger. ”God is allowed anger, vengeance, and judgement. We are not. We can trust God with judgement, vengeance, and anger because He is very different then us. He is perfect, His character allows this. Ours doesn’t.” “Forfeiting our right to anger makes us deny ourselves and makes us others-centered. Actually, it’s not even a right because the right doesn’t exist. We are told to forgive and that means anger has to go, whether we’ve decided our own anger is “righteous” or other.” “ Refusing to be offended by others is a powerful door opener to actual relationships. How about I just give up the sanctimonious act and just love them,without thinking I need to change their moral behavior? Why not leave that up to Get d? He’s still changing my own behavior, after all. Again, it’s simple humility. I know God wants my heart and wants their hearts. He wants us to turn away from ourselves and turn to Him. He can handle the rest. He loves them even more than I do. At some level, of course, I enjoy trying to control the behaviors of others. Only problem, I can’t even fully control me.”