• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why only criticize christianity?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Why do people critize christianity but at the same time do not critize other religions?

It is double standars

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Why do people critize christianity but at the same time do not critize other religions?

It is double standars
Perhaps people do internally but don't voice those criticisms so much?

And I suspect what you say may only be the case in nations that have been historically Christian

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

It is double standars
Because, as I've demonstrated on this very forum, a majority of non-religious people, when they hear "religion," automatically default to Christianity, because that's the only religion they have any sort of working knowledge of.

rocala

I don't only criticize Christianity but as others have said, it is the "default mode".
However I will say that belief in virgin birth, son of God, the miracles, original sin, dying for our sins, and the resurrection is asking an awful lot. I quite simply find it impossible to even begin to give it credibility..

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

It is double standars

I've noticed criticisms of many religions out there. It just depends on the context of the discussion. It's not just Christianity. Although, to be fair, there are some Christians who have made vehement criticisms of other denominations of Christianity, so much of it is also internal criticism, amongst Christians.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It may be difficult to criticize without closer knowledge. Gauging how criticized a given religion is may be difficult as well.

There is IMO a combination of factors at work here.
  • Christianity is simply best known overall; other factors being equal, it would be expected to receive about 20-30% more criticism than Islam and double that of Hinduism. Other factors are not equal, as we will just see.
  • Christianity is one of the very few creeds that purport to be a good fit (or often a necessary fit) for people who never even heard of it while also insisting that proselitism is a genuine necessity. That is am ambitious claim that requires significant challenge.
  • Of that group, only Christianity and Islam are demographically remarkable.
  • While it is not at all unusual for purportedly religious creeds to have political influence, it is readily apparent that Christianity and Islam are nearly alone in being politically dangerous, even to the point of promoting armed conflict. That is particularly true at the current time in human history.
  • Most other creeds with those traits are generally viewed with understandable wariness and therefore there is no obvious need for immediate criticisms about them.
  • Most other demographically significant creeds beyond the Abrahamics tend to be either somewhat ethnical, somewhat Dharmic, or somewhat personal. It just doesn't make sense to criticize them with the same vigor that fits the Abrahamics.
  • Islam is heavily criticized, and rightly so. But there is a lot indeed of reluctance in making and accepting those criticisms for several reasons, including well-meaning intent supported by a lack of informed awareness; a very well-documented taboo among Muslims from making us infidels aware of their internal criticisms; and genuine confusion from outsiders on where the political ends and the purportedly religious begins. Also, the word "Islamophobia" has been very abused indeed.
  • Christianity has its own peculiarities when it comes to criticism. It is hardly unusual to see Christian groups criticize other Christian groups, but there is a lot of social taboo against actually making that criticism have any consequences to anyone. It does not help that the basic doctrine somewhat encourages a victimist stance; many a Christian finds the criticism to be indicative of how unfairly they are treated from the get go without any reflection whatsoever.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I am sick of double standars
I've fixed that issue for you.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

It is double standars
All religions deserve the same amount of intellectual respect. Equally.

I am a strong believer of that.

Ciao

- viole

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Because, as I've demonstrated on this very forum, a majority of non-religious people, when they hear "religion," automatically default to Christianity, because that's the only religion they have any sort of working knowledge of.

I think it's also that minority religions tend to be relatively benign, regardless of their actual doctrines. Most of the societal harm of religion comes from religions that are in a position of power over a society.

This forum mostly attracts members from countries where Christianity is dominant. Even if they're exposed to other religions, it will usually be the smaller, weaker version of the religions.

Islam in Saudi Arabia is oppressive. Hinduism in India can be oppressive. Islam and Hinduism here in Canada? Not so much.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
How is it a double standard for the most prevalent religion in English speaking countries to be the focus of conversation over those that are not prevalent? That's kinda like saying it's a double standard for Americans to complain about American politics but not Brazilian politics.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

It is double standars

For me, I live in the US where Christianity still very much dominates the religious culture, to the point where there is real Christian Nationalism. The threat of religious persecution is more from Christianity. I certainly don't agree with the fundamentalism from other religions, they are just less of a threat here in America.