• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why only criticize christianity?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Why do people critize christianity but at the same time do not critize other religions?

It is double standars
Oh please. Not another Christian with a martyr complex. First of all, there is nothing wrong with ANYONE disagreeing with you. It's a free country and Christianity is not the state religion. There is some harassment of Catholics, but really they have it very good compared to Jews. Hate crimes against Protestants are extremely rare. Here are the actual statistics on religious hate crimes in 2023:

A total of 1,590 incidents related to religion were reported; the largest categories of religion included:
Anti-Jewish incidents: 51.4% of religion-related incidents
Anti-Sikh incidents: 11.6%
Anti-Islamic incidents: 9.6%
Anti-Catholic incidents: 6.1%
Anti-Eastern Orthodox (Russian, Greek, Other): 3.1%

Viker

Häxan
Why do people critize christianity but at the same time do not critize other religions?

It is double standars
I typically criticize them all. Even my own. I view criticism as necessary and basically equal to critical thinking. What may seem like criticism at times could just be antagonism. I'm not interested in antagonizing anyone.

One reason it may appear that Christianity is getting knuckled around here more is most members live in America or English speaking nations. Christianity is the big dog in these parts. In the US there's this thing going on called a culture war. It's basically conservative Christianity verses nearly all the other smaller groups. It's really a battle to keep governance secular and representative for all.

For instance, I don't criticize Islam much because it does not directly effect my life. It's not like I am going to wake up tomorrow in the middle of an American Islamic caliphate. I could wake up in a Christian theocracy (probably not but more likely). Any theocracy would be hostile to my existence. I like my secular existence. I also like my personal religious experience.

Madsaac

I think it's also that minority religions tend to be relatively benign, regardless of their actual doctrines. Most of the societal harm of religion comes from religions that are in a position of power over a society.

This forum mostly attracts members from countries where Christianity is dominant. Even if they're exposed to other religions, it will usually be the smaller, weaker version of the religions.

Islam in Saudi Arabia is oppressive. Hinduism in India can be oppressive. Islam and Hinduism here in Canada? Not so much.

This.

And a lot of non believers were brought up in the 'Western World' as a Christian, I went to a Catholic School in Australia so I feel have more of an understanding of Christian issues.

And I know Christians in general, (Here in Australia anyway) are pretty good at taking criticism and even being taken the p*ss out of. That's a compliment by the way.

wellwisher

It is double standars
It is the nature of bullies to go after those who are meek and who are supposed to turn the other cheek. They will avoid those who will bite back. For example, those who say angry or hurtful things against the Jews and Jewish religion are called antisemitic; beware of the dog. If you do the same to Christians, it is free speech. Muslims in their own world, will not take crap. Christian in their own country are patient even with those who do not have their best interest in mind.

Another, even deeper reason is connected to secular and material collectivism; programming the mass mind. One of the first things Communists and Dictatorial regimes do, when in power, is to get rid of religion, since belief in God, offers a counter point to the propaganda of the self serving collectivism. The faithful have an inner spirit that makes it harder to turn them in clones of the average card carrying collective.

The old Soviet Union went after religions to prevent their free spirits to point out the obvious. This could not kill religion, but they did force it underground where it had much less social counterpoint impact. Luckily, in most western countries freedom of religion makes it harder to use the State to minimize the religious POV. However, it can still be done by the misuse of freedom of speech; secular nazis and censorship.

For example, the Progressive push to making artificial gender, the new norm; new medical cottage industry for insider stock trading, was resisted by the most, by religious people, since they pointed out that science cyborgs are not the same as o'natural, even if it makes people money. The progressives attempted to program the young children, in state run schools, to indoctrinate them. It may have worked, had freedom of religion not allowed pesky counterpoints, such as parents are the true guardians of their children, and not the state; old Communist propaganda. That was step one; youth indoctrination, to see who takes the bait and therefore who can be programmed for even more extreme things. Luckily it was pushed back by the religious, setting back the propaganda of the mass mind; blank stare acceptance.

One can tell which religions stand most in way, by who the Progressives youth have been programmed to target. Many religions are collectives in their own right; different version of a collective clan. Christianity is unique; connected to 14th century Reformation, that broke up the original central Church, into a wide range of denominations that keeps on subdividing. This provides the most complicated pushback. It is the most difficult to control since it lack a central leadership command than can be compromised; bribes or black mail.

This diversity of angles for a common creed, has the spirit of uniqueness, that awakens the individual, against mass mindedness, even that which can occur in religion. If one denomination of Christianity, or even one church group gets too clannish; mini mass mind, you can find another where you can be free, without ever changing religion. It is moving target and needs the largest secular assault; key to its success.

Also Christianity has a strong connection to Rome; descendant of Rome; blend of secular and spiritual; render onto God and render onto Caesar. Rome was noted for being able to live off the land, even in enemy territories, and therefore did not need a supply line that could be cut off; root then be nourished internally. The promise of the Spirit does this one the spiritual side; flowering weed, that can flourish even where most plants cannot. Together; secular and spiritual, it finds a way to grow and flourish; manifest destiny is to preach to all the nations.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
All religions deserve the same amount of intellectual respect. Equally.
Sorry for the diversion, but a couple of general questions:
  1. What is intellectual respect?
  2. If all religions deserve the same amount of intellectual respect, does that not suggest that respect need not be earned, but, rather, that it is automatically warranted solely by virtue of the label?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

It is double standars

I'd say people are more critical of the Abrahamic religions because their barbaric side more people are familiar with. Hinduism I think also has a dark side but it is less well known for example.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Sorry for the diversion, but a couple of general questions:
  1. What is intellectual respect?
  2. If all religions deserve the same amount of intellectual respect, does that not suggest that respect need not be earned, but, rather, that it is automatically warranted solely by virtue of the label?
I did not say that this default equally deserved amount of respect must be bigger than zero.

Ciao

- viole

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Islam, Catholocism, & Scientology receive much
criticism. Judaism is largely off limits though.
But that is changing with their state's apartheid
& now genocide of Palestinians.

ChieftheCef

It is double standars
Why do you see so much of it? because you're in the breeding grounds of christianity. Why do they only go after christianity? Not even close, I assume you're just a christian or misguided so you only \see hatred against you.

ChieftheCef

I think Islam gets more criticism than Christianity even considering the much larger membership.
Which is a very good thing. You're a scientist, do your research before you act, elsewise you're more likely to make mistakes, like you may be doing. Happy to see you too Christine. Hope all is well.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Which is a very good thing. You're a scientist, do your research before you act, elsewise you're more likely to make mistakes, like you may be doing. Happy to see you too Christine. Hope all is well.

Im not a scientist.
What mistakes do you think I'm making?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Islam is more horrendous than christianity, from honour killings, female circumcisions, human rights violations. The list goes on. Sorry if I offended you, Christine.

Nope, i just wondered what you were talking about.

Christianity has had it's moments and has had an extra few hundred years to grow up.