• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why not to be Catholic

IdiNaPut

Ako možete čitati ovo, govorite hrvatski.
I'm not Catholic, and left Christianity, for a whole raft of reasons.

I'll start with Christianity- to me, the whole notion of a 'son of God' is baffling, given God only ever sent messengers before, and it seems that even Jesus himself (as) did, as is evidenced by the NT itself, not consider himself to be divine or in any way anything other than a mortal messenger. Plus given the massive inconsistencies in the Biblical narrative, of which tampering and additions are little more than solid fact, it would seem that the basis on which Christians of all stripes base their assertions is massively shaky.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My ex-wife was Catholic. When we got married (in the Church, the whole deal), I wasn't Catholic myself but generally okay with Catholicism.

A few months after I got married, the Canadian government started moving to legalize same-sex marriage. This prompted all sorts of nasty responses from official Church spokespeople. After a vitriolic, homophobic rant of a homily from a guest priest (apparently, he was being sent from parish to parish as part of the campaign against same-sex marriage), I stopped kneeling in church. I couldn't kneel to hate.

All this was happening in the background of my ex-wife first suggesting that I consider baptism and later outright pressuring me to be a Catholic. During this period, in an attempt to satisfy both my wife's demands and my intellectual honesty, I did a ton of reading, study and reflection to try to find a way that I could honestly convert.

I never found one, but I found lots of reasons not to be Catholic. I also realized that I was an atheist.

So... it probably isn't the biggest reason any more, but my first reason for not being Catholic was the Church's stance on same-sex marriage and homosexuality.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Well after reading these response posts I don't feel any need what so ever
to defend my "never will be Catholic" stance.
I'll just add a personal story.
I met and befriended a woman and her family.
No romance there of any sort, just knew her a bit and was close to her father and
her other SIX sisters. Poor papa, 7 daughters, all very lovely and not too bright.
The eldest daughter had a "close relationship" with a local Catholic priest.
Sometime later she pops up verrrrry pregnant.
The not Catholic father of the girl demanded the Church pay for the medical bills
due to the unwanted and shocking pregnancy.
To avoid embarrassment the Church sent the girl to a Catholic run home for
unwed mothers; far from her parents and family.
The baby was born, taken away, the mother never saw the child, had no choice
in the matter and no one has a clue what happened to the baby.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??????????????????
I can see at least criminal KIDNAPPING here.
The family was assured the child would be adopted to a good home.
From what I've read over the years crimes involving Priests are covered up
quickly.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The above is completely pathetic. What is gained by you condemning another branch in this manner? Frankly, I hate to say this, but the above is a far greater judge of you and the branch that you're coming from than it is about Catholicism-- and I ain't Catholic, btw.. IOW, it's nothing short of sheer religious bigotry.

Why not try another approach: instead of judging and condemning an entire denomination, why not avoid the temptation to do that and, instead, maybe debate some of the teachings you disagree with?

jeager106

Premium Member
Condemning?
I think that is simply your point of view.
I didn't invent those web sites. They have been up for years and years and Catholicism
has been debated for many centuries.

I copied and pasted some sites with a particular point of view.
Who said these sites printed.......................well.................gospel. No pun intended.
I stated facts about Catholicism. These things have been well known for a very long
time.
Even Pope Francis now denies the existence of hell as a place of eternal
torment.
“Through humility, soul searching, and prayerful contemplation we have gained a new understanding of certain dogmas. The church no longer believes in a literal hell where people suffer. This doctrine is incompatible with the infinite love of God. God is not a judge but a friend and a lover of humanity."

One wonders what happened to all those "evil souls" that the Church said
went to hell for various reasons???????

I'm NOT anti Catholic. Just pointing out the Church changes doctrine to better
suit evolving truths. It's as it should be.
Like eating meat instead of fish when the Church said no meat to be eaten.
Never did understand that one.

jeager106

Premium Member
I'm not a Catholic because dress-wearing pedophile wizards weird me out.

Gee................I chuckled at that then.......................felt kind of guilty. Hummmmm?????
But I think most readers see the "why" behind that statement.
Because, sadly there is a great deal of truth to back that up.
One wonders, in light of the Church hiding sexual misconduct for so long, how many
cases of Catholic Clergy sexual abuse have NEVER been brought to light?

Please. Not knocking Catholics. I'm SURE sexual abuse happens in all religions and
most is probably "settled" quietly. Lets not forget the stink that came out exposing
the Boy Scouts and the adult Scout Masters!
My sister at age 12 was "handled" by a J.W. when she was supposed to be
in a Bible study with him!
It came to light a bit & when mother (a J.W.) got wind of it she shut the
incident down pronto. In effect mother silenced the incident at the expense of
my poor sister!!!! Sis felt it was HER fault because at 12 she had large
breasts.
I don't think sis eve got over it.

metis

I'm NOT anti Catholic.
Nonsense, so now you resort to not telling the truth. If you weren't anti-Catholic, you would not have chosen the tactic that you did, which was a blanket condemnation of the church using various anti-Catholic websites.

And let me remind you that this was your opening salvo: A "Christian" faith riddled with Satanic pomp and ceremony.

Notice "Christian" that you put in quotation marks. Notice that you say it's a faith "riddled with Satanic pomp and ceremony".

Whom are you trying to kid. [notice that this is not a question]

jeager106

Premium Member
Speaking of J.W................................I attended services off and on for
years.
I knew and dated a single baptized adult J.W. woman.
We got close, intimate. I was attending a Sunday J.W. service when some
"Elders" took me to the basement office and INTERROGATED me about
my relationship with this woman. We were well into adulthood, in our late
30's for crying out loud.
The Elders said they were looking our for a weak and vulnerable "sister".
Who made that judgement call about her?
She wasn't weark
I'm not a Catholic because dress-wearing pedophile wizards weird me out.
Nonsense, so now you resort to not telling the truth. If you weren't anti-Catholic, you would not have chosen the tactic that you did, which was a blanket condemnation of the church using various anti-Catholic websites.

And let me remind you that this was your opening salvo: A "Christian" faith riddled with Satanic pomp and ceremony.

Notice "Christian" that you put in quotation marks. Notice that you say it's a faith "riddled with Satanic pomp and ceremony".

Whom are you trying to kid. [notice that this is not a question]

jeager106

Premium Member

One of his main ruses is to use so-called Christianity and religion with a carefully planned process of mind-control working through church liturgy and rituals by which the unwary churchgoer is mesmerized and lured into the magic he sees played out around him and by which he becomes so transfixed that he unfailingly believes every word spoken and every act performed, that this is the only way in which to worship God in order to achieve salvation.

These mind-controlling techniques are the weapons of Satan and his minions to prepare the people of this world for the day when the one, called in the Christian bible Antichrist and by Islam Dajjal, will appear. This man is the spawn of Satan or Lucifer, as the secret societies love to call him, the enemy of God and His people.
http://humansarefree.com/2014/10/the-catholic-liturgy-is-satanic-ritual.html

Hey, I don't make this stuff up. I just read and copy and past. Everyone is free to NOT
read, or read and come to personal conclusions.

http://jesus-is-lord.com/cath.htm

http://jesus-is-lord.com/cath.htm#contradicts

metis

One of his main ruses is to use so-called Christianity and religion with a carefully planned process of mind-control working through church liturgy and rituals by which the unwary churchgoer is mesmerized and lured into the magic he sees played out around him and by which he becomes so transfixed that he unfailingly believes every word spoken and every act performed, that this is the only way in which to worship God in order to achieve salvation.

These mind-controlling techniques are the weapons of Satan and his minions to prepare the people of this world for the day when the one, called in the Christian bible Antichrist and by Islam Dajjal, will appear. This man is the spawn of Satan or Lucifer, as the secret societies love to call him, the enemy of God and His people.
http://humansarefree.com/2014/10/the-catholic-liturgy-is-satanic-ritual.html

Hey, I don't make this stuff up. I just read and copy and past. Everyone is free to NOT
read, or read and come to personal conclusions.

http://jesus-is-lord.com/cath.htm

http://jesus-is-lord.com/cath.htm#contradicts

I can't believe you even believe in the nonsense above. On second thought, yes, I can believe you believe in that nonsense above.

Catholicism doesn't teach "mind control", unless any religious teaching is "mind control".

Secondly, the church doesn't believe or teach "magic"-- miracles, yes.

Thirdly, the church does not teach that one "unfailingly believes every word spoken and every act performed", as the church is actually quite diverse.

Fourthly, how is it that somehow you know that this was all from Satan, especially since you have totally mischaracterized Catholic teachings on these matters?

And finally, it's hard not to come to "personal conclusions" when you resort to religious bigotry that condemns an entire faith and then lie about your obvious intent. So, don't be hypocritical by crying "foul!" when you do this and then feel offended when someone responds to this the way I have. As a Jew who darn well knows what this kind of bigotry can lead to, what you are saying above is above and beyond basic common decency, and it needs to be condemned at its root cause-- misinformation, stereotyping, and religious bigotry.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Thank you. It is good for me to hear your responses.

I share many of your grievances and it is quite heart breaking.

Being a recovering addict I have done many things that I regret and have hurt many people, but through those very difficult and embarrasing lessons, I have been better equpped to help others with those mistakes, and those wounds can be a source of healing for others.

In the same way, I see the Church learning from it's past, maturing, and seems to have come a long way. My experience with Catholicism has been Priests and Nuns who are very kind, rational thinkers, educated, articulate, insightful, and compassionate.

I have gone into the confession booth feeling suicidal and left feeling like a huge weight was lifted.

The Church seems to be , of all institutions on the earth ,to have the most potential for serving the poor and easing the world's misery. In my personal experience, I have seen that.

It was Catholics who were always there for me to save my life.

Christ told St. Francis of Assisi "rebuild my house, for it has fallen into ruin.". My hope is that there will be more people like him who will try to help the church from within rather than leave.

But your spirituality needs to be yours and not someone elses. Don't let Catholic guilt rob you of any more joy, peace, energy , or potential. :)

jeager106

Premium Member
PopeADope
I'm in recovery also. Booze mostly. People not afflicted just don't "get it" that
addiction is dehumanizing and FATAL.
To relapse can easily lead to death and often does. I've buried more than a few
that succumbed to a shameful death.

"Normal" drinkers all to often say to me at a function " Awwww, com'on. Everyone
can have a beer or two and be just fine. I do."
Well I can also and have had one or two. Then 4, then aw, who cares, and get
smashed again.
It's an addiction, not much different than being addicted to cigarettes or heroin.
Man when the weather breaks from winter into spring and I go fishing I CRAVE
booze, beer, as that's what we guys did for years.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
My reason for not being a Catholic is that I believe that an apostasy took place following the death of Jesus Christ and His Apostles. Consequently, I don't believe that the authority Peter held was ever transferred to someone designated by the Lord to hold it. That said, I'd be a Catholic before I'd be a Protestant or a Jehovah's Witness any day of the week, because I do see a lot of good in Catholicism.

jeager106

Premium Member
My reason for not being a Catholic is that I believe that an apostasy took place following the death of Jesus Christ and His Apostles. Consequently, I don't believe that the authority Peter held was ever transferred to someone designated by the Lord to hold it. That said, I'd be a Catholic before I'd be a Protestant or a Jehovah's Witness any day of the week, because I do see a lot of good in Catholicism.

If you don't mind could you write a bit on some specifics about why you feel this
way about J.W. & Protestants?
I have a LOT of respect for the J.W. people, but not so much for the dogma.
I tend to respect PEOPLE of all faiths but may no feel so about the faith itself.
For instance I respect the religious people that handle deadly vipers but question
their intelligence. ( whoooooo-boy!)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
PopeADope
I'm in recovery also. Booze mostly. People not afflicted just don't "get it" that
addiction is dehumanizing and FATAL.
To relapse can easily lead to death and often does. I've buried more than a few
that succumbed to a shameful death.

"Normal" drinkers all to often say to me at a function " Awwww, com'on. Everyone
can have a beer or two and be just fine. I do."
Well I can also and have had one or two. Then 4, then aw, who cares, and get
smashed again.
It's an addiction, not much different than being addicted to cigarettes or heroin.
Man when the weather breaks from winter into spring and I go fishing I CRAVE
booze, beer, as that's what we guys did for years.
I'm going to be transferring from treatment to a Christian-based halfway house today.

A Pagan who smoked weed and meth two days ago carved a pentagram into the dirt, and promised the gods that if they got Him him to pass this test , He would never use again.

He passed. To pass a test for Marijuana which stays in the system for weeks, two days after use, seems slightly miraculous.

Now He has a very tough promise to keep :D