• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is the American Conservative Movement so Anti-American?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
This cartoon exemplifies how I believe the American Conservative Movement's attitude ends up being expressed in public discourse:

Attachments

• Prickly_City_MeThe People.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 77

esmith

Veteran Member
Are you always so intellectually dishonest about the people you oppose in debates? If so, you can consider our conversation ended, my friend. I might stoop to insult a joker now and then, but I don't knowingly waste my time trying to debate with people who are not intellectually serious people.

Didn't see any possibility of debate. You never put forth your ideas, just attacked me for asking you what your beliefs are. So, you can take your ball and go home.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
I am not here to simply debate. Its a place to have fun with my friends. Sunstone is my friend and I tease him and you with my affection for Fox. I know how you guys hate fair and balanced.

Until the pundits of "Fox Lies" point out the lies, I have the edge on them in rhetorical exercise. Its fun to watch their faces turn red and their blood pressure sky every time they call me names and talk about me in third party discussions. I enjoy that. I think its great how the usual suspects team up on the few conservatives on the forum and still can not win a single argument.

If you were really interested in knowing when and where Fox lied, there's an entire site dedicated to to the subject. Media Matters for America
It used to be about all news media, from what I know, but Fox simply gave them so much material that they kind of dominate.

Oh, yes, and thank you for demonstrating exactly what I was saying about you, being a troll and all. I'll requote you for emphasis:
Its fun to watch their faces turn red and their blood pressure sky every time they call me names and talk about me in third party discussions. I enjoy that. I think its great how the usual suspects team up on the few conservatives on the forum and still can not win a single argument.

Some of the usual suspects are Christians. I love it when they use religion against me. I claim to be a Bible thumping, Christian conservative, fundamentalist. What I lack in encyclopedic knowledge, I make up the difference in my superior philosophical recognition of the truth. That really set me free. You should try that type of honesty. Everybody should. It really works. From that point of view, you know you don't know it all, but you know the other fellow doesn't know it either.

Erm, I'm confused. You say you're a "Bible thumping, Christian conservative, fundamentalist," but then you say that you have a "superior philosophical recognition of the truth," which you say set you free. And then you say something about honesty.

Christianity is not Truth, especially not the variety you advocate. Truth is Truth. But then, what does that have to do with the rest of this? Are you suggesting that your religion is the source of your conservative values?

That also is the difference between Fox and the rest of the liberal news media. Fox brings the facts, and you decide. The other networks bring you the story but the facts may or may not support the story. The liberals always bring the same story and if there is the possibility that a liberal will look bad in the story, they alter the facts to change the story.

Erm, what you just said applies much more to Fox and conservatives than liberals... and where is this "liberal media" of which you speak? There's a very large portion of the internet, sure, but I'm assuming you're speaking of television/radio/paper sources?

This is kind of what I mean when I say that you're a troll... the way you go about things is more akin to someone who actually hates Fox News and is trying to parody their followers, rather than someone who is an actual follower. You argue your ideas so poorly and take such a childish attitude (as I've attempted to point out), that you end up being a self-parody, to which most people have no reaction towards but laughter/mockery, which you use to further your position as a victim, repeating the cycle.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Didn't see any possibility of debate. You never put forth your ideas, just attacked me for asking you what your beliefs are. So, you can take your ball and go home.

I believe he did put forth what a "Movement Conservative" was, as you asked, in the OP. He wasn't incredibly specific, but it was there.

For the purposes of this thread, the Conservative Movement might be thought of as including the ideologies of the John Birch society, the Religious Right, the Koch brothers, Rupert Murdoch, Roger Ailes, Pete Peterson, etc. That is to say, not everyone who calls themselves a Conservative is a member of the Conservative Movement.

Debunker

If you were really interested in knowing when and where Fox lied, there's an entire site dedicated to to the subject. Media Matters for America
It used to be about all news media, from what I know, but Fox simply gave them so much material that they kind of dominate.

Oh, yes, and thank you for demonstrating exactly what I was saying about you, being a troll and all. I'll requote you for emphasis:

Erm, I'm confused. You say you're a "Bible thumping, Christian conservative, fundamentalist," but then you say that you have a "superior philosophical recognition of the truth," which you say set you free. And then you say something about honesty.

Christianity is not Truth, especially not the variety you advocate. Truth is Truth. But then, what does that have to do with the rest of this? Are you suggesting that your religion is the source of your conservative values?

Erm, what you just said applies much more to Fox and conservatives than liberals... and where is this "liberal media" of which you speak? There's a very large portion of the internet, sure, but I'm assuming you're speaking of television/radio/paper sources?

This is kind of what I mean when I say that you're a troll... the way you go about things is more akin to someone who actually hates Fox News and is trying to parody their followers, rather than someone who is an actual follower. You argue your ideas so poorly and take such a childish attitude (as I've attempted to point out), that you end up being a self-parody, to which most people have no reaction towards but laughter/mockery, which you use to further your position as a victim, repeating the cycle.

It will not upset me if you quote from your vast sources. Do it or be silent.

You do take my statements out of context as I knew you would. Those statements were for real trolls at which I am good at setting the troll trap. I did warn you away from this trap but you did ignore my superior wit.
I do not claim this ability to be free for myself alone. You can have it too. That is the greatness of the Christian faith, you can have this superior recognition of the truth also. Sorry that you have a problem with that but fact is fact. How can anybody be more honest than that? Keep your insults coming, they do prove something about trolls.

Of course my values are based on my religious values. In politics I am an American idealist. Liberals and conservatives can be American idealist. What's your grip with my religion? I have never hid behind my religion nor have I defined my religion to this forum. But I do think it is better than your religion. At least I can base my whole life on what I believe to be true. Try it some time. It could change your whole outlook on life.

It is foolish to pretend you can not find the liberal news media when it is a known fact that the news media is over 90% liberal. The liberals do not even debate this fact. What's the matter with you man? Use some summon sense in your personal attack on me. It will look better if you do.

[/QUOTE] Than you again for your insults. It does show who the real troll is. "Come on down" for the price is right. "Being a self=parody" to use your words is troll talk and a personal attack. I love it when your own words condemn you. It saves me the effort to have to fight back. I like being the victim. That is a more meek position and you don't have to keep saying, I am sorry. Who do you think the victim is in our little debate, me or you?

A

angellous_evangellous

I did warn you away from this trap but you did ignore my superior wit.

Surely you mean your uncommon piercing insight, stunningly powerful intellect, uncanny sleuth, adorable sense of humor, and devastatingly handsome wit.

Thou art Debunker. Go. See. Conquer.:bow:

Debunker

Surely you mean your uncommon piercing insight, stunningly powerful intellect, uncanny sleuth, adorable sense of humor, and devastatingly handsome wit.

Thou art Debunker. Go. See. Conquer.:bow:
That's right! That's me to a tee. Thank you for your help. I will do better in expressing the conservative point of view. God, its ruff trying to be me.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
That's right! That's me to a tee. Thank you for your help. I will do better in expressing the conservative point of view. God, its ruff trying to be me.
The trials and tribulations of those called upon to save the world from itself are truly stunning.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I see you still possess your knack for getting to the heart of a matter. Do you think Ayn Rand has had anything to do with the current imbalance in the Conservative Movement between self-interest and civic virtue?
Yes, I would place her as one of the three most important thinkers whose writings and ideas formed the ideology of the modern American conservative movement.

The other two are Edward Bernays and Russell Kirk.